Rules Questions thread

My interpretation is that Gilded Glaxx isn’t sidelined as long he has more than 0 hp left from the target ability.
Else, he is sidelined forever pretty much indestructible units with -1/-1 runes are.

details

“Forever” here means “as long gold requirement is met” and I also spoke about indestructible units with less than 1hp because of -1/-1 runes.

So I’m understanding that it’s possible to make a mirrored Gilded Glaxx with Quince’s midband’s ability and making it survive several turns, right ?

i think that is wrong too. if quince already has 2 mirror glaxes when he comes into play, he does not get a mirror.
@EricF @sharpobject @Sirlin

1 Like

i think this proves my point:

if u play a second BN after the first, the second does not summon anything.
2016-03-02: If you have two Bird’s Nests, you can still only have two
Bird tokens in play. Each Nest sees 2 birds in play, knows that’s the
limit, and refuses to put more into play.

“(limit:2)” isn’t written on the same line than the arrive ability, that’s part of the ambiguation.
I don’t think we could get any absolute answer without a new ruling :confused:

There’s no limit on that ability.

4 Likes

Last but not least question :
When a mirror copies a Gilded Glaxx, it’s still an illusion (as written on Quince’s abilities descriptions). But it isn’t anymore a token, right ?
So Battle Suits triggers as usual ?

It is still an token. Else you’s be able to return it to hand and have a card without a cost in your hand. In the same way that you can’t permanently destroy a unit by making it copy a token then killing it. Copies copy the spec, printed stats and abilities, cost, and tech level of the unit they’re copying.

I don’t agree with your explanation.
A token is trashed when turning back in hand / being discared, so IMO a mirrored Gilded Glaxx goes in hand, re-become a token and then is trashed / goes in discard, re-become a token and then is trashed.
So copying the token/non token state wouldn’t mean in any case getting permanently a token in hand. In hand, the Quince’s ability stops anyway.

That’s one interpretation. IMHO tokens are a card type, not a unit type, and thus don’t get copied along with the other unit stats. @sharpobject?

EDIT: will discuss “limit 2” with sharpobject. But the point of it existing was to be a hard limit on the types of things that have it.

3 Likes

Sorry if i’m kinda slow, but this baffles me. So is sharpobject right and one can override the limit by sommoning quince, or was i right, and if one has 2 mirror copying glaxx, 5 floating gold, summons quince and gets no more mirrors?

Apparently Sirlin is in favor of errata to quinces top band to say “limit: 2.” If/when this gets added to the official rulings it will apply to future tournament games.

2 Likes

ty very much, ericf. maybe is cuz i am not a native speaker, but his answer was unclear to me :confused:

I think what he’s saying is that - currently - you can only have up to 2 mirrors.

3 Likes

Well I am very much a native speaker, and the ambiguity has nothing to do with that and everything to do with the fact that Quince’s startband ability states “Limit 2” but his maxband ability does not.

It’s entirely possible to apply the “lower band abilities still apply at higher bands” parsing of Quince’s abilities to arrive at the conclusion that the Limit: 2 still applies. It’s also entirely possible to arrive at the conclusion that the maxband ability is a separate ability and no limit applies – in which case things which try and fail to trash a token illusion (such as Glaxx’s ability) could bypass it. Sirlin’s above clarification states that this is not the design intent and therefore not how the card should be read.

2 Likes

Both abilities in question are start band. One is printed with “limit: 2” and one is not. If the Arrives: ability is supposed to be limit: 2, that errata can be made.

The max band has nothing to do with it at all.

1 Like

Yes, the theory has to do with the arrives mirror. The glaxx just prevents them from dying after being copied.

Theoretically (as written) you could have infinite 0/1 mirror tokens, though people would certainly look at you funny.

It’s still a token. Nothing in the game can modify whether or not something is a token.

1 Like

So i guess that is an official rules clarification that Quince can at all times have a max of 2 mirrors, either they are still mirrors or are copying something.

@EricF so will this ruling be applied in PBP tournaments?
I think it should. Ty.