Rules Questions thread

If a Brave Knight takes 1 combat damage and then becomes a 3/1 via Fairie Dragon giving it a Feather Rune, does the Knight die for real or return to its owner’s hand?

1 Like

It dies; it was finished off by having its health reduced, not by taking combat damage.

2 Likes

Order matters. A brave knight with a fairie dragon rune, who THEN takes combat damage, would bounce to hand. But yes, your example, he dies.

2 Likes

Anybody know whether Morningstar Pass requires the 1g “pay to attack this” tax for overpower damage? I’m inclined to think yes (as overpower is “something else you could attack”, implying it is an attack-like source of damage), but I can really see the argument that it’s not a direct attack and thus no tax.

If I remember correctly, no, because the overpower target doesn’t count as being attacked. Same thing for Setsuki.

2 Likes

the way it works is you have to have 1g float in order to overpower onto it, but dont have to actually pay. Which is also how setsuki works, as charnel pointed out.

2 Likes

Why do you need the float?

You cant attack it if you cant pay.

2 Likes

Because you can only overpower to something you “could attack”, and if you can’t pay, you can’t attack.

2 Likes

That makes sense, TY everyone!

If Quince has used Mind Control to take another unit and then Quince dies, is the unit still Mind Controlled? I’m inclined to think yes since the spell isn’t channeled.

That’s correct.

2 Likes

Can i attack with something that has zero attack? Rulebook says all units i control can attack but want to make sure.

yes you can, but it deals 0 dmg, so for things like might of leaf and claw is pointless

1 Like

But for things like “attacks:” effects and killing off heroes it works. Nice to know for sure, thanks

depends, deathtouch needs to deal dmg as well

Yeah, as long as an ability is triggered by attacking then a unit or hero with 0 ATK can still be used to trigger that (unless the unit specifically says it can’t attack, such as Young Treant), but if an ability is based on a unit dealing combat damage then 0 ATK attackers can’t help.

Hi, I have a question about Bombaster:

I’ve only played a few games of Codex, and I was wondering if being Exhausted prevents Bombaster from using his ability. I was confused because being Exhausted only prevents using Exhaust abilities, so it seems like Bombaster can attack, become Exhuasted, and then sacrifice himself for 2 more damage. That seems a little weird, though. On the other hand, the whole point is that Bombaster can use his ability even with arrival fatigue.

Can you use abilities that don’t require the unit to Exhaust when they are exhausted?

Thanks!

2 Likes

You understood the situation correctly, an ability can work when the unit is exhausted as long as exhausting that unit isn’t part of the cost for the ability. For contrast, Firebat has a very similar ability except that you exhaust it instead of sacrificing it.

1 Like

That exact sequence with bombaster is why you want to make sure your patrollers will kill it if it attacks, stopping them from getting an efficient 4dmg out of it.

4 Likes