Persephone's Pick Your Poison: Arsenic - SIGN UP BY 3/30

Wow! Btw how do you use the character icons?

There should be an icon for emoji you can click when making a post and the forum-specific ones are in the bottom category of that, or you can type something like :grave: :psfist: :pschip: :chibijaina: to get :grave: :psfist: :pschip: :chibijaina: (and it’ll pop up suggestions after the first : as you type).

2 Likes

Ok thanks for the knowledge! :chibidragon:

1 Like

mysticjuicer 4 - 0 Nopethebard

:valerie: :psfist: :pschip: :jaina:
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :setsuki:
:persephone: :psfist: :pschip: :setsuki:
:argagarg: :psfist: :pschip: :lum:

ggs Nope - that Lum 8K+ throw punish was godlike on your part btw

2 Likes

Thanks. Glad a few of my baits landed.

1 Like

Argh! I totally forgot to record this, and thought there was another match I was waiting on before new games could go out!

@Castanietzsche vs Xiba 2-4
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :quince:
:degrey: :pschip: :psfist: :valerie:
:quince: :pschip: :psfist: :argagarg:
:vendetta: :psfist: :pschip: :jaina:
:jaina: :pschip: :psfist: :quince:
:setsuki: :pschip: :psfist: :geiger:
GGs! Finally got my Quince win!

6 Likes

Me vs. Caralad

:chibivendetta: :psfist::pschip: :chibigloria:
:chibitroq: :psfist::pschip: :chibigwen:
:chibijaina: :psfist::pschip: :chibizane:
:chibiargagarg: :psfist::pschip: :chibirook:

The Jaina and Arg games I was one combat loss away from death (although the combat option I picked on the last turns I could not have been killed, but…) but the Ven Gloria and Troq gwen Games went smoothly, though this particular. Especially Ven/Gloria, where I came out with 73hp. I love that it is listed as such a losing matchup. Lets me pick it every time. Troq gwen game came a lot closer than it usually does. That matchup is booty.

Gwen’s Q needs to DO something when it hits. Like have some kind of effect. I don’t know what, but something.

3 Likes

Give gwen a .2 starter that says she cant lose. Kappa.

3 Likes

flagrantangles wins 4-3 vs @vengefulpickle

:argagarg::psfist::pschip::quince: I put my anti-Quince technology to the test.
:persephone::pschip::psfist::setsuki: I played a little loose on two combats and basically lost as a result of that. VP made sure those mistakes cost me.
:valerie::psfist::pschip::jaina: I attacked a lot and outsped Jaina in the early game. I tried to throw too much before I was able to close it out. It got pretty close at the end there. :open_mouth:
:jaina::pschip::psfist::vendetta: I think I played too scared of 2 attack and lost as a result of those fearful decisions. VP has a good Vendetta, methinks.
:rook::psfist::pschip::grave: This game was the real highlight of this set. I played CMB and Wall of Vines and each time it was gold bursted. :open_mouth: I basically managed to bring this one back despite an enormous deficit. We were playing on a knife’s edge!
:vendetta::pschip::psfist::bbb: I didn’t know what I was doing here and I started to bring it back but I fucked up my K + KD mixups. Also, using K when at range so you don’t have to throw away a card is a fun and unexpected interaction.
:jaina::psfist::pschip::quince: While I have a really excellent winrate in this matchup as Quince, it’s not particularly good for him. Jaina’s checkmates are especially potent against Quince since he cannot contest Jaina’s A’s or Q’s. I took some strong damage in the beginning but played well against the spins and was able to start hitting back with #thicc combos.

GGs Vengefulpickle! It was a delight, especially since I didn’t have to fight your Setsuki nonstop! Hehehe!

6 Likes

Me vs. Ivan

:chibigloria: :psfist::pschip: :vendetta: Nooooooo someone picked Vendetta! I won this game out of sheer blind luck. If Ivan had had a dodge in his (quite large) hand he could have acroed me into no-card and Surgical Struck me.
:chibiargagarg: :pschip::psfist: :chibirook: Got dismantled here.
:chibizane: :psfist::pschip: :chibijaina: Again Ivan picks the unfavored character and only loses to luck. If Jaina was just all-around a little better character I would have lost here.
:chibitroq: :psfist::pschip: :chibigwen: people for your own sake stop picking this matchup. I am lifetime 19-2 in this matchup.
:chibipersephone: :pschip::psfist: :chibidegrey: Honestly I’m baffled that I lost this game. I had complete control and then surprise 2 (the 4th 2)-3-AA combo from nowhere.
:chibigrave: :psfist::pschip: :chibijaina: Jaina once again falling apart, largely through no fault of Ivan’s. He probably won three combats to my one this game and still lost.

Good games. Had to dip into the second set of matchups for the first time this tourney.

6 Likes

I forgot to report when we played this earlier today…

ArthurWynne vs @flagrantangles

I picked the first MU:
:setsuki: :psfist: :knockdown: :persephone: I feel alright in either side of this, but it was more than alright today! Perfect, and exactsies, with Grappler Setsuki!

:jaina: :knockdown: :psfist: :valerie: Valerie went down to three cards on turn one, two of which were aces from her giant opening combo. I evened things up quite a bit from there, but flagrantangles navigated low hand well, built back up and brought it home. Exactsies again, too.

:troq: :psfist: :knockdown: :gwen: With apologies to @Niijima-san, as bad match-ups go I don’t feel the Gwen side of this is too awful. But when I’m allowed to have the the Troq side, too…

:quince: :psfist: :knockdown: :argagarg: I picked the right side of the MU this time and everything went much better. :joy:

:grave: :psfist: :knockdown: :rook: I never landed TPOS, but I did draw like a bandit and punch out three of Rook’s four Kings. Nevertheless it came down to the last combat reveal and the mix-up of Stone Wall and the last King. Fortunately I made the right choice.

Thank you @flagrantangles for a great set!

Final result 4-1 to ArthurWynne

3 Likes

mysticjuicer 4 - 2 Xiba

:jaina: :psfist: :pschip: :valerie: pretty close fight
:argagarg: :pschip: :psfist: :rook: I am OBLITERATED
:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :persephone: I return the favour - turn 3 kill
:degrey: :pschip: :psfist: :onimaru: very very very close match!
:midori: :psfist: :pschip: :valerie: I have 222 333 QQQQ on turn 5…?
:menelker: :psfist: :pschip: :argagarg: have to DSD to make it even, then close things out

whew! very close games this set, as well as some crazy blow-outs. ggs wp Xiba!

2 Likes

mastrblastr 4 - 2 @ArthurWynne
:rook: < :argagarg: close match, blown up in the end
:jaina: > :rook: if can mash, mash.
:gwen: > :onimaru: He hit with a bunch of Aces, including AA but couldn’t convert the face cards luckily
:setsuki: > :persephone: Had 7AA loop
:midori: < :troq: got hit with the triple 10 ripping my already low hand to shreds, and was impossible to recover.
:degrey: > :persephone: was terriified after he jokered 35 damage away and I was down to 2 cards but played out of it.
GGs!

3 Likes

Apologies if I was curt or salty at the end @mastrblastr. You were a very enjoyable opponent, and played well. I’m just super frustrated with my own (lack of) development as a player these days, and I find it hard to call a game “good” when I feel like I played my side abysmally poorly.

2 Likes

mysticjuicer 4 - 2 Caralad

:argagarg: :pschip: :psfist: :rook: I continue to lose this self-described 9-1 MU lol
:valerie: :psfist: :pschip: :jaina:
:lum: :pschip: :psfist: :gwen: check to see which side is advantaged into 'get bodied the classic
:vendetta: :psfist: :pschip: :jaina: ye-hooooo!
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :rook: I avoid getting CMB’d by one combat reveal :eyes: :sweat_drops:
:menelker: :psfist: :pschip: :rook: I manage not to die

ggs Caralad - thanks for bearing with the late start on my end

5 Likes

My terrible Arg vs Rook results will single-handedly bring the historical chart for that MU back to even. :sob:

6 Likes

mastrblastr 4 - 1 @mysticjuicer
:gwen: > :onimaru: Actually blocked a face card with an Ace attached. Has to be a first for me
:jaina: > :valerie: got hit by 5 normals pumped by 7 t1. very grindy very close game after
:gwen: < :lum: KD lum 9 throw for lethal on last turn. super super close game
:vendetta: > :jaina: we both built giant hands and i ended up with 3 acros and a joker which negated 500 damage i’m sure
:argagarg: > :geiger: I had an incredible opening hand of 69TQKAA. It let me play very aggressively and try to deny geiger a big hand
GGs MJ always a pleasure playing with you you’re the man!

3 Likes

mastrblastr 4 - 2 @Ivan
:zane: > :jaina: very close went down to last combat and I 10 threw to win
:argagarg: > :rook: had JJJQQ to start and was able to pressure and deal damage
:jaina: < :lum: I played this poorly he played it well, I needed to be more respectful
:troq: > :gwen: Troq has lots of winning buttons.
:onimaru: < :gloria: Got stomped and thrown a bunch
:midori: > :troq: starting hand was 4QQKKA* first few turns were dicey but i poked some throws away, drew a 2 and then had just complete insane midori things.

GGs Ivan , feel good to win the runback, and now it is time for an old and very familiar face. Hello @Niijima-san

2 Likes

This is exactly how it happened last time, with me in the winners bracket and you coming to challenge. Let’s see if it ends the same way this time as well.

2 Likes