News Shop
Events Forums

Persephone's Pick Your Poison: Arsenic - SIGN UP BY 3/30

Jengajam returns to the forums every summer, and then disappears again when summer ends. I just assume it’s a kind of “old man of the mountain pilgrimage to the city” situation.

Ok. That’s interesting

I should write a novel. I’d name it : Thus Spoke Jengajam. But I should have to admit first that “God Raziek is dead” and I’m not ready for it yet.

flagrantangles wins 4-1 versus @Xiba
:persephone::psfist::pschip::setsuki: I picked this matchup because I didn’t think Xiba would pick Persephone so I could play a character I’m familiar with in a matchup that I don’t hate. If they had picked Persephone, I could play Setsuki in an advantaged matchup. Either way seemed fine. Xiba threw me three times in a row with 7’s and then I had 15 HP left. :open_mouth: I many to beat out the 4th 7 with AA and then I kept powering up for and recurring AA and playing it since I had the distinct feeling that Xiba didn’t have a Queen to outspeed it. I was right. A tricky gold burst broke my dominance but left them with a hand that was mostly known to me. After a couple double dodges, I play the AA and cut through a throw to take the game.
:jaina::pschip::psfist::valerie: I’m under the impression that Jaina has the edge in this matchup but I played poorly and Xiba cleaned my clock but good. I dragon punched at all the wrong times.
:geiger::psfist::pschip::jaina: This progressed evenly until Geiger’s good buttons were just a bit too good. Near the end, I had TD up and known AA in hand while Jaina had a Queen and A. I figure the mixup is Cycloid Revolution or Any Time Spiral against Q/Block. I play Cycloid Revolution while Xiba throws. Geiger is mean.
:gwen::psfist::pschip::onimaru: The early game started off okay, but Onimaru wasn’t building a hand so I wasn’t too scared. That said, we manage to whittle each other down to low life totals. At the last combat, I have AAA and 1 life versus low hand Onimaru on 22 life. I dodge because I have eaten too many attacks while playing raw AAA. Xiba attacks into and facedowns. I play AAA because I’m dead either way and it wasn’t jokered so I take the match.
:quince::psfist::pschip::menelker: This matchup was cruel of me because I have an excellent record with Quince versus both Jaina and Menelker and I was confident that Xiba wasn’t going to choose to play Quince since he can be tricky to pilot.

GGs @Xiba

I guess my next target is either FlagrantAngles the Quince or Caralad the Silent.

Quince just wants to SPIN YOU RIGHT ROUND, BABY, RIGHT ROUND LIKE A RECORD BABY RIGHT ROUND ROUND ROUND. That’s what I’ve heard.

Quince’ll spin you all around/ Then he will spin you upside down!/ Yeah, that’s why they say/ better not wince at Quince!

The first match I havn’t figure out the rule, so if I know the rule exactly, I may choose pers, because she is so poweful and can control almost everything. And thanks for your patience to explain the rule.

“Powerful” is not the word one often hears to describe Perse.

The rule is something like “knock them down at every opportunity”

Ivan vs mysticjuicer - 4:2
:jaina::pschip::psfist::valerie:
:rook::psfist::pschip::argagarg:
:jaina::pschip::psfist::vendetta:
:gwen::psfist::pschip::troq:
:menelker::psfist::pschip::quince:
:jaina::psfist::pschip::grave:
Great set, mate. Good luck in the lower bracket.

See you soon enough, MysticJuicer!

The Silent? I feel like there is a reason I don’t know about for that name choice.

I needed a name for you and you haven’t posted much in this thread.

Well how’s this for making some noise.

Flagrantangles and myself will be playing our match today at 4:30pm CDT

I hope to spectate if I can.

Caralad vs @flagrantangles

:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :setsuki:
:geiger: :psfist: :pschip: :bbb:
:vendetta: :pschip: :psfist: :valerie:
:onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :gwen:
:troq: :psfist::pschip: :rook:
:persephone: :pschip: :psfist: :jaina:
:rook: :psfist: :pschip: :menelker:

No hype commentary about our BALLER matches?! It’s fine; it IS a lot of work. Anywho, I feel like I played pretty well. The only place where I played badly and care about it is in Geiger/BBB. There were some points where I was just too scared. That said, I would really love to draw the amount of time spirals you did while I play Geiger.

Setsuki/Troq I played pretty badly but better than I expected. I don’t know what to say about the matchup because I would prefer to eat glass then play, talk about, or watch it.

The Val/Ven matchup came down to the end and it was pretty effing cool. I managed to block out Surgical Strike and then take it with Masterpiece.

Onimaru/Gwen I’ve gotten to play this matchup twice so far this tournament and I think it’s a fun one for Gwen. You can’t be too antsy since Onimaru does have a giant ass sword, but you can really lay down the hurt. I managed to hit a throw with Chains of ice into max damage of 42. Felt pretty good.

Troq/Rook I went for CMB because I was convinced he didn’t have a Queen after like 5 turns of expecting it. Then he topdecked it and played it and I loooooooost. I regret nothing.

Persephone/Jaina I knock Persephone down to about a third of her life and then she uses Mistress’ Command and catches me on a fairly exploitable hand. I manage to get out of it by threatening Letter J and dodging on KD. After that, I play it and outspeed On Your Knees for the win.

Rook/Menelker Menelker has barely any life and it evaporated quickly. I don’t think I managed my hand correctly for the matchup. I was so frightened of rock armor and that feels correct since that’s exactly how I died.

GGs @Caralad It was a delight per usual!

Ivan vs mastrblastr - 4:1
:gwen::psfist::pschip::onimaru:
:rook::pschip::psfist::argagarg: - very close and tense set
:argagarg::psfist::pschip::quince: - he didn’t draw much face cards
:valerie::psfist::pschip::jaina:
:midori::psfist::pschip::troq: - i drew face cards and dodges at the right moments.
GGS, mate. Good luck in the rest of the tournament.

I still can’t believe @mastrblastr didn’t man up and admit that he was grandstanding about winning this the last time after I called him out on it.

Aaaaaaaanywho

Me vs. Arthur Wynne

:chibivendetta: :psfist::pschip: :chibigloria:
:chibisetsuki: :psfist::pschip: :chibipersephone:
:chibijaina: :psfist::pschip: :chibizane:
:chibitroq: :psfist::pschip: :chibigwen:

I won most of these semi-handily, by which I mean I don’t think it ever came down to a last-combat situation for me. I didn’t steamroll him at all (with the possible exception of the Jaina game) I just kind of won.