IYL8 - Dreadlands - Match Reports

GGs Tekopo.

I decided to do some last minute homework, so I knew coming in that they played a lot of Ven. That made Zane an easy pick for me.

After all, I can’t exactly cut a promo about Zane seeing some playing time and not give it to him, can I?

Game 1 was a pretty solid win for Tekopo. As he said, he had some beneficial hands and I had a little trouble executing my gameplan. I’d learned that he had a tendency to rarely throw, so I was wanting to feed off that. He threw a little more than I expected and paid the price.

Games 2 and 3 were much more in my control. I decided that if he wasn’t going to willingly sparsely throw, I’d force him into it. It worked. Ended game 3 with a dodge-punish MA. (iirc I was expecting a gold burst to try and space me out and dodged a very MA soft attack)

Game 4 was the table turner. As soon as I saw Gary, I deflated. I put up a hell of a fight, but Tekopo was in firm control of that game.

Final game Lum was an oddball choice, to say the least. My intention was to mitigate any MHG damage Gary dealt with my own Out-of-combat damage. That didn’t work out. I tried to scare him off an early KD turn by PF’ing 3 drawn Aces in a Full House. “Back off, this panda’s loaded!” Tekopo decided that a 3 attack was fine, and it crossed up my 6 block attempt to stand up for free.

That’s how I learned that we don’t respect 3 aces in this house.

The game was super tight, and I managed to land a 10 throw late game. Unfortunately for me, I was a little too amped about getting it and triple-pumped it, only to get it blue bursted and put me at a huge disadvantage for the rest of the match. After that, Tekopo navigated the endgame very well and closed it out in an *ss-clenching set.

GGs, Tekopo. Good luck the rest of the season! Now, I plan to run the reverse table. COME AND GET YOUR FREE WINS!

8 Likes

[The Dreadlands - R3 - Darkness/KevAshTao] result

Darkness 2 - KevAshTao 3

:persephone::pschip::psfist::jaina:
:persephone::psfist::pschip::jaina:
:persephone::psfist::pschip::bbb:
:persephone::pschip::psfist::troq:
:persephone::pschip::psfist::troq:

7 Likes

feathers vs @MR75 3-2

:argagarg: :pschip: :psfist: :grave: We have a little back and forth. MR lands some well timed throws and crossup attempts. We’re at roughly even life totals when he crosses up into TPOS. Fillet is served shortly after.
:argagarg: :psfist: :pschip: :grave: MR continues to have great throw timing. We have a more prolonged tussle, then I win a string of combats in the late game, and land my own Ace super for Hex lethal.
:argagarg: :pschip: :psfist: :quince: Quince throws Arg in the washing machine and keeps him there for most of the match. An upsetting streak of honesty later, Arg gets a taste of his own medicine as he finds himself in PM checkmate.
:geiger: :psfist: :pschip: :quince: I forsake my honor, dignity, and god-given name in a single watershed moment of counterpicking. Quince valiantly persists until we’re both at ~40 hp, then Geiger TDs into 7 throw and the world falls silent.
:geiger: :psfist: :pschip: :gwen: It turns out that the benefits of being a heel include fantastic draws. Geiger manages to get a good lifelead early, then plays TD into silent 0.0 AA and his third K for lethal.

Well played, MR! You’re a strong opponent. Good luck in the rest of IYL!

8 Likes

Thanks…I’m really out of practice, anyway.

Sorry for leaving quickly after games, but my wife was waiting for me :sweat_smile: (and it’s better not let her get too upset).

It was fun. I regret in our 2nd game that I was too confident of “chipping” away tour last 9 lifepoints even with BS on (I was at around 20): I didn’t evaluate AA ( and spam my Q instead of J).

Last game sure you got good draws, but above all you played It very well, having no fear in throwing or attack high hand Gwen!

Respect and ggs!

4 Likes

ArthurWynne vs @KevAshTao

:setsuki: :psfist: :knockdown: :valerie: I took a giant hit in turn 1… Valerie’s hand never recovered.
:setsuki: :psfist: :knockdown: :jaina: Aces for days!
:setsuki: :psfist: :knockdown: :jaina: Spaghetti for days.

My Setsuki play wasn’t exactly textbook, particularly not in the final game. But it worked! I think Sets is favored in both of these MU, especially when Val and Jaina don’t find lots of fast options.

ArthurWynne wins 3-0.

Thanks for the games Kev! And thanks again for your patience with my late arrival!

6 Likes

@Castanietzsche 3 - 2 @snoc
:menelker: :pschip::psfist::setsuki:
:menelker: :pschip::psfist::setsuki:
:quince::psfist: :pschip::setsuki:
:quince::psfist: :pschip::setsuki:
:quince::psfist: :pschip::setsuki: he was 23 and I revealed the crosswise toss K as positive spin and announced “throw” on flagstone tax 10*. I played my Righteous Zeal Q, he played a throw, I topdecked a 6 and a 7 and I finished that way x) Awesome ! Thanks for the matchs mate, very fun ones !

5 Likes

That was the most tilt-inducing set I have played in a while. Game 3 in particular: Quince drew amazingly in the first half of the game, then I managed to stage a comeback from single figure hit points to put him on a zero-card hand which I was able to pressure with risk-free fast attacks until eventually I played into a Gold Burst. On 8 hp to his similarly low health pool, I reasoned that a dodge should be safe since a normal throw couldn’t combo into AA. But he topdecked a Q and finished me off.

Kudos to @Castanietzsche for coming back from being within one combat of losing the set!

6 Likes

feathers vs @shamusj 3-0

:geiger: :psfist: :pschip: :argagarg: I manage to recognize that shamusj’s hand isn’t all that great, and press the advantage for the win.
:geiger: :psfist: :pschip: :argagarg: Made some conscious range adjustments that worked out well.
:geiger: :psfist: :pschip: :setsuki: The shortest game of Yomi I have ever played. An early Time Stop combo puts Sets at around half life, then unfortunately on turn 5 Sets Smoke Bombs a R&D into no-card, and I auto-play a TD combo for the win.

Ggs and good luck in the rest of the tourney, Shamusj!

7 Likes

“The shortest game of Yomi I have ever played”. Happy to help!

Well done! Geiger counterplay is something I need to learn :wink:

6 Likes

Caralad vs @snoc

:degrey: :psfist: :pschip: :troq:
:degrey: :pschip: :psfist: :degrey:
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :degrey:
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :troq:

Caralad wins 3-1.

6 Likes

International Yomi League, Season 8 Week 4

Mystic Deadman (0-3) vs. @Ivan (2-0)

Quick Results

:onimaru::psfist::pschip::grave:
:onimaru::psfist::pschip::argagarg:

Extended Recap

:onimaru::psfist::pschip::grave:
Ivan is easily one of the best Jaina players around. His skill is well known. That being said, I gained intel that this man has been random selecting his first character in tournament sets. Knowing that, I went with who I felt the most comfortable with in such a situation.

Yes, I know I play Zane. I’m not so confident that I can play Zane vs. random select.

This game was pretty standard fare for Oni vs. Grave. He threatened me with a nice, hot drink for much of the game, but never served it. That gave me some room to play around the setups [more. I also tried to play around potential value traps by Ivan, but those never panned out.

By the way, when I say “standard fare,” I mean slugfest from start to finish.

I got an early A attached, and tried to take advantage soon after off a dodged J by punishing with my own J+, only to get it Jokered and only deliver 15. The game was closer than the health totals make it seem, as I finished with half health by the end.

“Oh, you dirty bastard.”
Never had I been more nervous to see a CP than when Ivan decided to whip out the fish. Getting an A attached on turn 1 did nothing to alleviate my nerves. Especially when he immediately throws a block on the next turn when I’m expecting him to respect attacks a little more. What he probably didn’t expect was the range shift I pulled. Instead of being attack hungry, I play more defensively during attached Ace turns, letting you come to me. I threw out a 3 attack, thinking it might get him to play a tad more aggressively himself. It worked, and I dodged a Q to punish with a pumped T.

At one point, I had the dream in hand. I take a chance on his aggressiveness with FA in hand, only to get it dodged. He issues a smartly executed throw punish, then tries for a mixup because I had known 5 and 9 in hand as blocks. I windmilled the 2 I had just drawn and get up for free.

Eventually, he successfully shifts to match my playstyle. Unfortunately, though, it was a tad too late, and a throw that was supposed to catch a dodge ends up eating a K with attachment to close out the game.

Why change when everyone in the world says you have the advantage? Arg is a really tough fight for Oni, and this final game proved it. I’m pretty sure we were playing on Yomi Level 5 or 6 for virtually the entire game. He took a commanding life lead, and hitting the endgame stretch was the most intense thing I’ve done in a game in the last 2 years. 13 health Oni vs. 54 health Arg. Forgone conclusion, right?

Wrong.

Oni K meets Arg Q, but that gets FA’d into obscurity. The next turn, Oni Q meets a blodge-hunting Arg 9 throw. I know I need to stay in the game (11 health), so I back-to-back FA to keep him down.

Suddenly, it’s 11 health Oni vs. 12 health, on-his-back Arg.

I toss a 7 throw, expecting to find an A block. Wish granted, and with both of us at low hands and Ivan facing down, I send a prayer to the Gods that this double-pumped throw ends it once and for all.

Prayers ignored.

9 vs. 5 health. I threw out a Final Authrowity, thinking he might be downbacking or back-dashing to bleed me out. Instead, he counter threw. Quick maths tell me I have to face down the Joker I’d been sitting on for so long, since I would be left with 1 HP.

So it all came down to this. Either I became as God and masterfully finished the comeback, or we move to Game 4 and my heart races like crazy. In my hail mary play, I face-downed a 7 throw.

And, on reveal, I earned my seat in the Pantheon.

None of the games I’d to this point in IYL were schellackings, but these were easily the most intense and life-shortening games I’d ever played. All that, just to find my first win of the season.

Final Score

MD 3-0 Ivan

GGs Ivan, and good luck the rest of the season.

Oh, and @Caralad, to answer your post-match question exactly, I actually had neither. I was loaded with cards above the 7 rank, so I had no chance at a potential crossup. I still feel Q was my safest play on that one turn, knowing what I know now.

10 Likes

Hey, all. We’re living through extraordinary times, and the last thing you need is stress due to video games. So, if anyone needs an extension for any reason to get a match played, let me know. We’re still plenty early in the season, so we’ve got lots of flexibility.

Stay well!

(Boo, forum duplicate)

8 Likes

feathers vs @Tekopo 3-0

:grave: :psfist: :pschip: :vendetta: Tekopo opens with Vendetta as usual. We have a peaceful early game with downbacks and occasional jabs, then I land three Q/As in a row and a throw to put Ven at ~30. I assemble Teapots in hand, got impatient and played it raw only to have it dodged into a K. I compose myself and pull off a Gold Burst to get back in the game. I land a couple throws, he dodges into AAA, and we’re both staring at lethal range. I MM to see a hand full of strong attack/dodge options and a single K throw. Knowing Tekopo has a tendency to go for the unexpected risky move particularly when it comes to Ks, I throw and catch the K for lethal.
:grave: :psfist: :pschip: :vendetta: Standard early game footsies with a bit more throws. I catch onto some KtO-mixup tendencies and manage to punish it, then respect the dominant option after MM this time to catch an AAA with Q. At ~10 life Tekopo pulls off a gutsy K attack twice, then dodges into K throw and puts me into a very uncomfortable position at ~30. I decide to do a gutsy wakeup throw, and catch a block into lethal.
:grave: :psfist: :pschip: :degrey: The expected DeGrey cp. I play a bit more relaxed knowing this isn’t my match to win and I have Geiger to fall to after. I decide I have to seize the momentum and play more aggressively from the get-go. It works, and I end up playing respectfully post MM again to throw Ace dodge twice for the win.

GGs Tekopo, those were some very enjoyable games. Good luck in the rest of IYL!

7 Likes

Tekopo vs @Castanietzsche

:bbb::pschip::psfist::valerie: Valeries was going all out at the start, some good combos got her the lead and I struggled to catch up.
:bbb::psfist::pschip::valerie:
:bbb::pschip::psfist::zane: Got MA’d and it was all over.
:bbb::psfist::pschip::zane: Blocked the MA and checkmated Zane at range.
:bbb::psfist::pschip::zane: Blocked the MA and a risky K got me range for the checkmate.

Great series, Castanietzsche, really enjoyed the matches we had!

7 Likes

Great matches to spectate. Casta played well, and several times it looked like things were dire for BBB. When Zane came out it felt like it’s all over for the lovable bot. But Tekopo piloted him amazingly, made lots of gutsy and well timed plays, and through a string of needle threading closed things out.

2 Likes

Y’all really believe in playing ahead! This was your Round 9 scheduled match.

3 Likes

I think you gave my win to Castanietzsche on the challonge by mistake btw

1 Like

@vengefulpickle round 4 you gave 3-2 to casta instead of tekopo.
@Tekopo pinging is better :wink:

Congrats @Legion on 666 games played54c0e99cff54ef36c9e9eae4ceea0f5f

9 Likes

Ooops! Will fix.