IYL8 - Dreadlands - Match Reports

maybe revealing raw consent of the governed more often would help me to narrow my odds against Val, BBB and Geiger. not sure about other MUs thought

1 Like

Having watched most of that match only two things come to mind for advice in that mu I think. One is what Castanietzsche said about Do As Told, and Iā€™d like to add on that Quince (and other characters as well) will play his weaker ability (10) first to try and bait out your counter before stronger one (2), and I saw that happen a couple times. Let the 10s go through most of the time.

The other is that itā€™s almost always worth it to give Quince whateverā€™s in the other pile rather than a Joker (though this is generalized, I can see specific exceptions). In that case I saw, Perse gave Quince the Joker when Quince was one combat away from dying. Cards in his hand only have value if he could actually win combat. But the situation there is that you only need to win combat once to win the game, and the Joker instantly makes it an uphill battle for you by making it two combats minimum. For the same reason when you then won combat after, their facedown is almost guaranteed to be a Joker, and you should consider calling the bluff. If not, then go in with lethal instead of risking hitting a Joker with non lethal damage.

Besides those nitpicked tidbits, darkness played Persephone very well! We were pretty surprised to learn that he was only relatively new to the character. Great set!

2 Likes

Legion vs @snoc
I win 3-0
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :setsuki: super quick match, charge the BU, couple of throws, unleash the beast
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :lum: early game swinged, mid-late game i read snoc quite well.
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :setsuki: closest match of the set. My hand sucked, 1 dodge all game and no aces (except the one i pud for to force reshuffle). Snoc hit both joks early but no Q until really late game.
Respect and ggs.
Best of luck during the rest of the league.

6 Likes

I still despise Troq.

3 Likes

[The Dreadlands - R1 - shamusj/KevAshTao] result

Shamusj 1 - KevAshTao 3

:argagarg::pschip::psfist::setsuki:
:argagarg::psfist::pschip::setsuki:
:argagarg::pschip::psfist::jaina:
:setsuki::pschip::psfist::jaina:

5 Likes

snoc vs @MysticDeadman
:setsuki: :psfist::pschip: :gwen: T2 Dreadlands Portal, but then dodgy draws the rest of the game for Gwen
:setsuki: :pschip::psfist: :onimaru: I get good early pressure, but run out of throws and Oni endgame too good
:setsuki: :psfist::pschip: :onimaru: Two attached aces for Oni on turn 2, but thatā€™s the only hit he scores all game
:setsuki: :pschip::psfist: :onimaru: I get into a bit of a tizz and start chasing combats
:setsuki: :psfist::pschip: :onimaru: absolutely DISGUSTING crossup in this one

snoc wins 3-2!

I also managed to dodge a Gold Burst on a Speed of the Fox turn in there somewhere into a big punish too, pretty hype set. Shame I couldnā€™t record it this time, GGs to the Deadman, and good luck in the rest of the league!

6 Likes

Still disgusted by that crossup, btw.

Aside from game 3, the closeness of the set is undersold by the score. snoc showed time and time again, in this set alone, that heā€™s willing and capable of making every turn vital.

GGs d00d, and good luck the rest of the way.

EDIT: Pretty sure this man was happy to get off the bench, too.

5 Likes

gonna watch the replays, then. plz do not delete them.

3 Likes

I was specing the match, and on the turn of the crossup, somehow just knew in my heart of hearts that it was going to happen. The sense of grosteque validation was great.

1 Like

or heart of cards?

1 Like

my grandpas deck doesnā€™t have any cards that get blocked on knockdown, Kaiba!

8 Likes

MR vs @shamusj 1-3

:rook::pschip::psfist::argagarg:
:rook::psfist::pschip::argagarg:

Well played! Itā€™s seems I need to remove so much dustā€¦
Respect and GGs!

6 Likes

Thanks MR75, it really came down to the wire in that final game! Phew!

5 Likes

Caralad vs @darkness

:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :persephone:

Caralad wins 3-0

7 Likes

Legion vs @Tekopo
I win 3-2
:zane: :psfist: :pschip: :vendetta:
:zane: :pschip: :psfist::vendetta:
:zane: :pschip: :psfist::vendetta:

First game allowed me to gauge opponent, i went for the hard cp, and even without drawing jokers, aces, andwith shenans pouting at me i win.
Game 2 and 3 were quite bad on my side, played poorly at least in 6 combat reveals cuz scared, milled all of my jokers, no aces again, tilted at game 3.
Game 4 i chill my head and despite a back and forth i win.
Game 5 goes def better, cool head, good hand and nice shenans (finally) make the game enjoyable.
Respect and ggs tekopo, your ven is quite good.
But why do the emoticon get bigger at random? it annoys me greatly.

6 Likes

feathers vs @KevAshTao 3-0

:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :troq: Kev surprised me by opening Troq, but Iā€™d practiced this mu to prepare for my match against Caralad. Still, Kev almost made a comeback with raw Beast Unleashed the turn after he attached his second block. I manage to close it out just in time with a 9 throw.
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :setsuki: This was more the mu I was expecting by opening with Oni. The general does his thing and flattens the fragile ninja in short order.
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :setsuki: I started out with a good lead, but a silly FA put me on low hand and almost threw the match away. Eventually I get some blocks in, and finish off the set with a beefy Oni normal.

Thanks for the games, Kev! Good luck in your future tourney sets!

4 Likes

@Castanietzsche 3 - 1 @ArthurWynne
:quince: :pschip: :psfist: :geiger:
:zane: :psfist: :pschip: :geiger:
:zane: :psfist: :pschip: :troq: maximum anarchy when he was 46 !
:zane: :psfist: :pschip: :troq:
thx for the matchs mate !

5 Likes

Ivan vs Legion - 3:2
:setsuki: :pschip: :psfist: :degrey:
:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :degrey:
:setsuki: :pschip: :psfist: :troq:
:jaina: :psfist: :pschip: :troq:
:jaina: :psfist: :pschip: :geiger:
GGs.

6 Likes

Caralad vs @ArthurWynne

:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :geiger:
:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :geiger:
:setsuki: :pschip: :psfist: :geiger:
:zane: :psfist: :pschip: :geiger:

Caralad wins 3-1

7 Likes

Tekopo vs @MysticDeadman

:vendetta::psfist::knockdown::zane: : Zane again, but I had a bit of practice from the Legion games and I managed to pick up the first win with some favourable hands.

:vendetta::knockdown::psfist::zane: : MD really started ramping it up and started to really read me better, I think this one IIRC was pretty close but MD clutched it out at the end.

:vendetta::knockdown::psfist::zane: : I was started to get tilted by this stage and I just got outplayed in this match. By the end I decided that I needed to change something up or I was going to likely lose 3-1. MD played it really well as well.

:degrey::psfist::knockdown::zane: : DeGrey is probably my third pick but didnā€™t feel confident with BBB against Zane. Managed it pretty well and I was back with a chance to get the series.

:degrey::psfist::knockdown::lum: : MD picked Lum and was doing pretty well and managed to get me to low life, with me around 17 and MD around 55 life. Managed to get a couple of good combat results and DeGrey did his thing of high damage on low number of cards.

Final result, 3-2 to Tekopo. Really good series!

8 Likes