Casual: wozzit (Mono Green) vs Drakona (Mono Red)

Oh man, green can do some wild stuff.

Might of Leaf and Claw + summoning lots of frogs. You can spawn it in and get it to go off on the same turn.

If you get two blooming ancients and summon a ton of frogs – same thing, almost as crazy!

Balance can get these flying hasted overpowering dinosized mimics that are pretty sick.

Midori himself is pretty nasty if he gets to cast his ult, or even just if he maxbands, which admittedly (and thankfully) is hard to do fast.

I don’t even know the half of it. We can swap decks and I can show you what I know, but there are lots of smarter and more experienced people around here.

But I think what you want to do when under this kind of pressure isn’t try to hold it off exactly, it’s to tech to get in front of it to get something much more powerful than it is. I had this tournament match against cstick about a week ago where he did this early attack with giant, invisible heroes – Demonology’s Metamorphosis spell – and I spent literally a week running games against that afterwards, trying to see how to beat it! For several days, I tried stuffing the board with units to slow it down, and those games all ended miserably. You just can’t do enough and keep getting further and further behind. Ultimately I decided to try slowing it down enough for me to survive, and teching for bigger units, units that would be more dangerous to those heroes . . . and even then it wasn’t easy to beat, but that at least worked sometimes. I suspect that’s the right strategy against Red doing some sort of evil rush? I dunno. I haven’t tried. I like playing red, not fighting it. :wink:

Maybe someone who actually knows can say.

Want to swap decks? Keep trying? Call it a day?

Swap is great. Can you start as I am distracted at work :wink:

Right! My green is much worse than my red, but I’ll see what I can do. :slight_smile:

Starting Hand

Playful Panda, Tiger Cub, Forest’s Favor, Rich Earth, Spore Shambler

Thoughts

Gold to buffs, is the general outline of the plan. Red with haste generally has his choice of targets, but if I can make them hit back too hard, that deters his best attacks.

To get the best benefit out of Rich Earth, I should play it now. It’d be two more turns before I recouped the cost and started making money, though, and I don’t feel like playing catchup for that long, and I don’t like leaving my base open to a free hit on turn 1. If I had my Prospector, I might do it. I’ll next see the card two turns from now, when the economic gain won’t be worth the card. Worker it is.

I’d like a defender who’s a strong deterrent. Tiger Cub and Spore Shambler are my serious options here – 2 atk is enough to threaten anything hasty Red is gonna throw. I really like the rune transfer option later, even if Shambler is a bit on the pricey side.

Tech

-

Worker

Rich Earth

P1T1

• Collect 4 gold (4)
  • Worker (3)
  • Spore Shambler (0)
  • Discard 3, draw 5

Patrol
SQL: Spore Shambler (2/4), 2 runes
Elite:
Scav:
Tecn:
Lookout:

Other

Buildings
Base: 20 hp

Economy
Cards
Hand: 5
Draw: 0
Discard: 3
Gold
Gold: 0
Workers: 5

Hidden Cards

Workers: Rich Earth
Draw:
Discard: Playful Panda, Tiger Cub, Forest’s Favor

Teched Cards

-

Next Hand

Merfolk Prospector, Rampant Growth, Verdant Tree, Young Treant, Ironbark Treant

P2T1

StartingHand Workers

STARTING HAND
Scorch
Bloodrage Ogre
Pillage
Careless Musketeer
Charge

WORKERS
Careless Musketeer

NextHand

Makeshift Rambaster
Mad Man
Nautical Dog
Bloodburn
Bombaster

Discard

Charge
Pillage
Scorch

Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid - ($5)
Worker - ($4)
Bloodrage Ogre - ($2)
Jaina - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 5

[B]Board Info:[/B]
[B]In Patrol:[/B]

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]:
  • :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]:
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Bloodrage Ogre (2/3)
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]:
  • :target: [I]Lookout[/I]:
    [B]In Play:[/B]
  • Jaina (2/3)
    [B]Buildings:[/B]
  • :heart: Base HP: 20

[B]Economy Info:[/B]
[B]Cards:[/B]

• Hand: 5
  • Deck: 0
  • Disc: 3
    [B]Gold:[/B]
  • Gold: 0
  • Workers: 6

I will learn from our games by doing something totally different… ie. Jaina and even then I decided the wrong thing i think :smiley:

Remember, BRO is a 3/2, not a 2/3.

3/2 it is - same location.

Starting Hand

Merfolk Prospector, Rampant Growth, Verdant Tree, Young Treant, Ironbark Treant

Thoughts

Oooh. Jaina going for damage spells early was one thing I had trouble dealing with in this matchup in test games. It’s very fast and very deadly. Perhaps having to deal with it against a resisting opponent will force me to figure it out.

So, Cal is an obvious choice, not just for dealing with Jaina. Her stealth and the stealth she grants her tigers and such make her a great assassin for heroes of any sort, and her midband will make it hard for Jaina to function.

Another obvious option is the Tiny Basilisk. Unless he patrols a lobber, it’ll probably trade up, and may well get the hero. I’ll need to worry about it getting itself kidnapped, but as long as I don’t sink too many resources into anything it can target, I should be okay.

Well – two tech slots, I can do both. It does mean forgoing centaurs for a bit, but I think I’ll hold off on heavy units until I can afford some light ones as well to blunt the kidnapping.

Tech

Ferocity, Tiny Basilisk

Worker

Verdant Tree

P1T2

• Collect 5 gold (5)
  • Worker (4)
  • Calamdra (2)
  • Merfolk Prospector (1)
  • Tech 1 (0)
  • Discard 3, rs, draw 5
Patrol Explanation

The BRO has to attack. I don’t want him to be able to trade with the shambler without some help, to offset the gold difference. Possible he’ll use a Mad Man, possible he’ll midband Jaina and tap for the extra damage – either of those are okay; I mean to kill Jaina.

Patrol
SQL: Spore Shambler (2/3 + 1A)
Elite:
Scav:
Tecn: Merfolk Prospector (1/1)
Lookout:

Other
Calamdra Moss, level 1 (2/3)

Buildings
Tech 1: 5 hp

Economy
Cards
Draw: 3
Discard: 0
Gold
Workers: 6

Hidden Cards

Workers: Rich Earth, Verdant Tree
Draw: Ferocity, Forest’s Favor, Playful Panda

Teched Cards

Ferocity, Tiny Basilisk

Next Hand

Tiny Basilisk, Young Treant, Rampant Growth, Ironbark Treant, Tiger Cub

P2T2

Tech StartingHand Workers

TECH
Fire Dart
Calypso Vystari

STARTING HAND
Bloodburn
Mad Man
Bombaster
Makeshift Rambaster
Nautical Dog

WORKERS
Careless Musketeer
Nautical Dog

NextHand

Scorch
Makeshift Rambaster
Calypso Vystari
Bombaster

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($6)
Worker - ($5)
Bombaster - ($3)
Use Bombaster - 2 damage to Shambler - ($2)
Jaina kills Spore Shambler. Jaina to 2/1
Mad Man - ($1)
Mad Man trades with Merfolk Prospector. You draw a card
BRO trades with Calamdra Moss. Jaina to lvl 3
Jaina to level 4. Now a 3/3 - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 2, reshuffle, draw 4

• :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]:
  • Jaina (3/3)

• Hand: 4
  • Deck: 5
  • Disc: 0
  • Workers: 7

Nice! Heads up – facing some IRL stuff at the moment. I’m going to try to finish out this game, but it’s going to be a distracting evening around here and soon I have to sign off for a week… but let’s see if we can get it done! It’s kind of cool to be facing what I normally do!

Technician Draw

Forest’s Favor

Starting Hand

Tiger Cub, Ironbark Treant, Rambant Growth, Young Treant, Tiny Basilisk, Forest’s Favor

[details=Thoughts]Wow, lots of hasty damage! I can see how this would be scary. Just gotta maintain a flexible mind and not overreact.

I almost workered that Ironbark Treant. I think he looks better when you play him than when you oppose him; shooting him down, he just seems like an expensive target. Still, this gives me two things that can swing at Jaina next turn that are hard to stop.

Centaur and Circle of Life suggest I’m going heavies soon – I’ll have to remember to mind the kidnapping.
[/details]

Tech

Centaur, Circle of Life

Worker

Forest’s Favor

P1T3

• Collect 6 gold (6)
  • Worker (5)
  • Tiny Basilisk (3)
  • Ironbark Treant (0)
  • draw 2, rs, draw 3

Patrol
SQL: Ironbark Treant (1/2 + 3A)
Elite:
Scav:
Tecn: Tiny Basilisk (1/2, deathtouch, unattackable by tech 0)
Lookout:

Other

Buildings

Economy
Cards
Draw: 4
Gold
Workers: 7

Hidden Cards

Workers: Rich Earth, Verdant Tree, Forest’s Favor
Draw: Rampant Growth, Circle of Life, Young Treant, Spore Shambler

Teched Cards

Tiny Basilisk, Ferocity
Circle of Life, Centaur

Next Hand

Playful Panda, Ferocity, Centaur, Tiger Cub, Merfolk Prospector

No problem if you need to drop. Real Life comes first. Just let me know.

P2T3

TECH
Firebat
Firebat

STARTING HAND
Scorch
Bombaster
Makeshift Rambaster
Calypso Vystari

WORKERS
Careless Musketeer
Nautical Dog
Makeshift Rambaster

NextHand

Mad Man
Pillage
Fire Dart
Bloodburn

Discard

Scorch
Bombaster
Calypso Vystari
Firebat
Firebat

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($7)
Worker - ($6)
Tech1 - ($5)
Scorch and kill Tiny Basilisk You draw a a card - ($2)
Heroes Hall - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 2, draw 4

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Jaina (3/3)

• :heart: Tech I HP: 5
  • :heart: Heroes’ Hall HP: 4

• Hand: 4
  • Deck: 1
  • Disc: 5
  • Workers: 8

Thanks. It’s fun for the moment! I’ll stick around as long as I can! :slight_smile:

Technician Draw

Rampant Growth

Starting Hand

Playful Panda, Ferocity, Centaur, Tiger Cub, Merfolk Prospector, Rampant Growth

Thoughts

Rampant Growth to kill Jaina is pretty tempting, but with the hero summon, it’s pretty expensive. I’m starting to pick up big units, and that Ironbark Treant is a lovely kidnapping blocker. I’ll get the Centaur down and come back for her.

Heroes’ Hall probably means Drakk, and probably means kidnapping. That’s ok, so long as I keep it in mind.

Let’s see. I kind of feel like doing the frogs / blooming ancient thing. I’m sure I’m going to execute it clumsily, but let’s at least start getting the pieces in my deck.

Tech

Murkwood Allies, Dinosize

Worker

Tiger Cub

P1T4

• Collect 7 gold (7)
  • Worker (6)
  • Centaur (3)
  • Playful Panda (1)
  • Discard 3, draw 3, rs, draw 2

Patrol
SQL: Ironbark Treant (1/2 + 3A)
Elite:
Scav:
Tecn: Wisp (0/1)
Lookout:

Other
Playful Panda (2/2)
Centaur (3/4)

Buildings

Economy
Cards
Draw: 4
Gold
Gold: 1
Workers: 8

Hidden Cards

Workers: Rich Earth, Verdant Tree, Forest’s Favor, Tiger Cub
Draw: Ferocity, Tiny Basilisk, Merfolk Prospector, Dinosize

Teched Cards

Tiny Basilisk, Ferocity
Circle of Life, Centaur

Next Hand

Spore Shambler, Young Treant, Circle of Life, Murkwood Allies, Rampant Growth

P2T4

TECH
Desperation
Desperation

STARTING HAND
Mad Man
Pillage
Fire Dart
Bloodburn

WORKERS
Careless Musketeer
Nautical Dog
Makeshift Rambaster

NextHand

Desperation
Bloodrage Ogre
Desperation

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($8)
Skip worker
Bloodburn - ($5)
Jaina attacks Ironbark Treant. Jaina now 3/2
Zane - ($3)
Zane attacks Ironbark Treant - it dies. Rune on Bloodburn (now 1). Zane to 2/1
Mad Man - ($2)
Mad Man kills Wisp. You draw a card. Rune on Bloodburn (now 2)
Fire Dart on Centaur - ($0)
Bloodburn - use on Centaur - it dies. Burn has one rune

Float ($0)
Discard 1, draw 1, reshuffle, draw 2

• Bloodburn (1)
  • Jaina (3/2) - lvl 4
  • Zane (2/1) - lvl 1
  • Mad Man (1/1)

• Hand: 3
  • Deck: 7
  • Disc: 0
  • Workers: 8

Oh man - that was awesome and I almost hate to say this… but you can’t use bloodburn to deal damage the same turn as you play it! It comes in not ready, just like a unit would.

Damn felt so good. Just put the Fire Dart on the Panda instead. So bloodburn is on 3.

Right? I think red is super fun to play. I was sorry to have to point it out. :smiley:

Packing up for a long road trip tonight, leaving early tomorrow. I’ll try to finish up this game. It’s just getting good. :slight_smile:

Technician Draw

Merfolk Prospector

Starting Hand

Spore Shambler, Young Treant, Circle of Life, Murkwood Allies, Rampant Growth, Merfolk Prospector

Thoughts

I’d like to get my tech 2 and get either a Might of Leaf and Claw or a Blooming Ancient plan underway. Feral would be pretty fun, too. As long as we stay at lower tech, I’m going to keep setting up dominoes for him to knock down.

The problem is that tech 2 is so expensive! I’ve got a lot of spells in my hand, and any plan involving a spell costs 4 or 5 gold. It’s fortunate that I floated a gold, making some of these plans at least feasible! And now I see why green likes extra gold so much.

Popping Cal to summon frogs seems like a reasonable plan, though it precludes tech 2 this turn. I can kill Jaina with the centaur, so there’s no threat of Ember Sparks turning that into an economic win for him. Cal will midband, making the frogs a bit harder to deal with, and patrolling them frogs is like a miniature Moment’s Peace, and would let me get tech 2 next turn perhaps a bit more comfortably. Call that plan A.

Midiri + Circle of Life on the Centaur is pretty attactive, too. I see serious options in the Basilisk (faugh at your bloodburn!), Barkcoat Bear, Oversized Rhinoceros, Wandering Mimic, and Faerie Dragon. That leaves me enough room to get a tech 2, too, if I skip a worker, and the basilisk is kidnapping proof. That’s a great plan, too! Call that plan B.

Midori + Circle of Life -> Blooming Ancient + Play Prospector, Shambler – that gives me 2 runes to play with. Could beef up Prospector to a 3/3, together with shambler as a 2/3, plus Midori himself on patrol, and even the Ancient if I wanted to (which I don’t). A special case of B. Perhaps less of a wall than the Basilisk, but puts me in a great position to end things as quickly as possible.

Arg could Rampant Growth the centaur, killing Jaina with little return damage. That’d leave me with just Arg and the wisp on defense, facing Zane and three red cards – but tech 2, a worker, no lagging economy. Fully ready to rock next turn, with a centaur who can hit pretty hard. Plan D.

Well. The goal is to showcase green. I think that’s either A or B. Probably B, frogs serve as better shock with the ancient down. Ancient or Basilisk? Ancient’s meaner, I think. It could get kidnapped . . . but I don’t think he has enough money to get a lot of runes off of it that way, so that’s not the end of the world. I’ll just make sure my SQL can’t kill it, even after bloodburn.

Argues for growth not feral, as double blooming ancients is the bomb. With a discard of 5 into which I’m discarding three – I need to tech those now to have them the turn after next. There’s a chance I’ll draw them next turn – that’s just a chance I have to take.

Tech

Blooming Ancient, Tiny Basilisk

Skipping worker!

P1T5

• Float 1 gold (1)
  • Collect 8 gold (9)
  • Midori (7)
  • Centaur kills Jaina, taking 3 return damage. Midori to level 3.
  • Midori casts Circle of Life on the Centaur. It dies and is replaced by a Blooming Ancient. Rune to bloodburn. (4)
  • Spore Shambler. 1 rune on blooming ancient. (1)
  • Merfolk Prospector. 1 rune on blooming ancinent. (0)
  • Blooming ancient gives 2 runes to Merfolk Prospector.
  • Discard 3, rs, draw 5

Patrol
SQL: Spore Shambler (2/3 + 1A) (includes 2 +1 runes)
Elite:
Scav: Merfolk Prospector (3/3) (includes 2 +1 runes)
Tecn: Midori, level 3 (2/3)
Lookout:

Other
Blooming Ancient (2/4)

Buildings

Economy
Cards
Draw: 7
Gold
Workers: 8

Hidden Cards

Workers: Rich Earth, Verdant Tree, Forest’s Favor, Tiger Cub
Draw: Playful Panda, Murkwood Allies, Blooming Ancient, Ironbark Treant, Ferocity, Circle of Life, Young Treant

Teched Cards

Tiny Basilisk, Ferocity
Circle of Life, Centaur
Tiny Basilisk, Blooming Ancient

Next Hand

Dinosize, Tiny Basilisk, Tiny Basilisk, Centaur, Rampant Growth

Closing Thoughts

I’m lucky I didn’t draw the Blooming Ancient, and there’s a very good chance I’ll get the second one next turn, which means I will get to play it if I absolutely insist on getting that tech 2 down. On the other hand, my spells are very spread out between the heroes, and I haven’t got a tech 2 or heroes’ hall, which also seems like a blunder. A general sense of disorganization when it comes to getting useful things at useful times remains a serious point of inexperience for me.

P2T5

TECH
Bamstamper Lizzo
Bamstamper Lizzo

STARTING HAND
Bloodrage Ogre
Desperation
Desperation

WORKERS
Careless Musketeer
Nautical Dog
Makeshift Rambaster
Desperation

NextHand

Scorch
Firebat

Discard

Fire Dart
Bamstamper Lizzo
Bamstamper Lizzo

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($8)
Worker - ($7)
Bloodrage Ogre - ($5)
Drakk - ($3)
Desperation (trashed) - draw 3
Firebat - ($1)
Bloodburn on blooming ancient (it is now 2/3)
Calypso Vystari - ($0)
Discard 1 from Desperation

Float ($0)
Discard 0, draw 2

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Drakk (1/3) - lvl 1
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Mad Man (1/1)
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Bloodrage Ogre (3/2)
  • Bloodburn (2)
  • Firebat (3/3)
  • Zane (2/1) - lvl 1
  • Calypso Vystari (2/2)

• Hand: 2
  • Deck: 2
  • Disc: 4
  • Workers: 9

Well played on your turn.

I need to learn better hand management - had some board position but not enough cards to do anything with it.

In addition should have teched Flame Arrow instead of Fire Dart. Would have been a lot better.

BTW - i am flying to Europe tonight - so a 27 hour delay on my turn at least if we dont finish today. Saturday here so cannot me sure to be around. Will try!!!