Casual: NikoBolas ([Necromancy]/Growth/Blood) vs IsotopeX (Mono-Black)

The Boulder certainly was LEGEN…DARY! But it was no match for Lady Snakehead.

P1T7

StartingHand Workers

STARTING HAND
Skeleton Javelineer (3/3)
Dark Pact (Demon Magic)
Thieving Imp (2/2 )
Sacrifice the Weak

WORKERS
Summon Skeletons
Skeletal Archery
Jandra, the Negator
Graveyard
Poisonblade Rogue
Pestering Haunt

NextHand

Cursed Crow (Tech II)
Plague Lord (Tech III)
Nether Drain (Necro Magic)
Bone Collector (Tech I)

Discard

Cursed Ghoul (4/1) exhausted
Sacrifice the Weak
Skeleton Javelineer
Dark Pact (Demon Magic)

Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($12)
Orpal kills the Smoker, takes 2 damage, you draw a card
Orpal levels to midband - ($9)
Orpal sacrifices a Skeleton (with Garth’s permission, of course) to put a -1/-1 rune on the Boulder
Gorgon attacks the Boulder, kills it with Deathtouch, takes 3 damage
How do you turn a boulder to stone, anyway?
Cursed Ghoul trades with Rook, Garth gets 2 levels
Garth makes a skeleton - ($8)
Garth casts Sacrifice the Weak, kills Skeleton and Whitestar Grappler - ($6)
Garth levels to midband - ($5)
Garth and Plague Spitter attack Tech III, destroy it, take 1 damage each
Your base takes 2 damage
Thieving Imp (forces discard of #2) - ($2)

Float ($2)
Discard 2, draw 4

[B]Board Info:[/B]
[B]In Patrol:[/B]

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]:
  • :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]:
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]:
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Thieving Imp (2/2)
  • :target: [I]Lookout[/I]:
    [B]In Play:[/B]
  • Tower
  • Garth Lv. 4 (2/3) exhausted
  • Orpal Gloor Lv. 4 (2/4 dirty damage) exhausted
  • Gorgon (2/1 Deathtouch) exhausted
  • Plague Spitter (3/2dirty damage) exhausted
    [B]Buildings:[/B]
  • :heart: Base HP: 20
  • :heart: Tech I HP: 5
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Disease)
  • :heart: Tower HP: 4

[B]Economy Info:[/B]
[B]Cards:[/B]

• Hand: 4
  • Deck: 3
  • Disc: 4
    [B]Gold:[/B]
  • Gold: 2
  • Workers: 10
    "

GG! Disease is pretty strong and I never really got anything going that game. The rambasa twins were hiding as my last card so I was playing tech I when you had tech II built and were deploying tech II! Snapping Vandy was my only way to not just lose on the spot, but it cost me dearly because I couldn’t get to tech II on time. Well-played!

I got really lucky getting rid of Fox Primus so early and without any real cost, and also being able to trigger Vandy’s maxband without giving you any real benefit. I never teched Metamorphosis, didn’t even plan to maxband Vandy, it just happened to work out. I definitely need to work more with Disease, Gorgon is RIDICULOUS and the Cursed Crow looks fun.

I drew my Plague Lord that last turn, really debated whether I should go for the Tech III. Thanks for playing!

That’s the beauty of Vandy - just the threat of her searching for Metamorphosis and playing it means your opponent plays around it, even if your gameplan is completely seperate/different. I knew I lost when I paid 4 to snapback a hero you spent 4 gold on, but them’s the breaks.

You’re right, that Resist 1 she gets is pure cheese.

GGs man, I’m gonna take a break this weekend. Need to catch up on school work before Spring Break starts.

If you don’t want any unsolicited advice, don’t read this post.

I definitely think that you should have just played Rook and floated 2 gold on turn 1. Vandy is scary, but actually has a hard time getting through Rook early in the game. With just Vandy + Haunt on the board, there was no way for IsotopeX to kill Rook except for maxbanding Vandy, which is bad. With Rook already on the board and a bunch of gold to work with, I think that you would have had a better chance of defending from that point on, and you force him to play carefully because of the dual threats of Midband Rook & Grappling Hook.

Additionally, I think that from your position, I would have just played a hero and built Tech 2 on turn 3. You didn’t need the Tower yet, because he needed to build a Heroes’ Hall before he could profitably Metamorphosis. Plus, since he can’t play another hero to get free levels, playing a hero as a blocker seems way better than spending two more cards out of your hand.

@IsotopeX, I think you gave up a sizable chunk of equity by playing the Imp on turn 3. You did a good job of clearing his board, but I think playing Bone Collector + Heroes’ Hall would have been much better for solidifying your lead. This lets you play Garth next turn, and threatens a turn 5 Metamorphosis while still giving you a proactive board position to basically do whatever you want.

1 Like

It’s good advice, I just find her personally annoying because there is so much power packed into her, all in various ways. I appreciate your advice on how to counter her. I wish she were a little more like the rest of the cast and just good at several things, instead of being good at everything. She levels fast, gets the maximum p/t buffs when leveling, has a toolbox midband, and a unit buffing max-band with…resist 1 AND sparkshot. Just look at her next to Troq and laugh, that’s all I can do.

Yeah, I went back and forth about the Imp vs the Collector. I figured there was enough bad news in his starting deck that Impy would torch something useful, hopefully Snapback or Sensei’s Advice. Maybe not the right choice.

Yeah, no worries. You probably feel a little under the weather after dealing with Disease anyway. :slight_smile:

1 Like