A Balanced Clash: 1st of it's Name - In Progress!

Hrm… You’re right. I’ll have to see if I can convince challonge to both re-make the bracket and preserve the current games that have been played.

Or maybe I’ll just ditch challonge… Not sure which is more of a hassle.

EDIT: Fixed!

Just make sure to consider @Xiba as being the low-seed for the purposes of who picks first. I had to bump him up to seed 1 just to make the bracket work out.

Also, the new bracket is A Balanced Clash: 1st of Its Name - Challonge (also linked from the first post).

6 Likes
3 Likes

CKR over @ArthurWynne 4-3

:rook: > :persephone:
:rook: > :persephone::
:rook: > :persephone:
:rook: < :persephone:
:zane: < :degrey:
:zane: < :degrey:
:zane: > :degrey:

ggs.

4 Likes

Bob199 :ps4gem: : :ps3gem: CarpeGuitarrem

:bbb: :pscrash: :pschip: :codextroq:
:bbb: :pschip: :pscrash: :codextroq:
:vendetta: :pscrash: :pscrash: :pschip: :pschip: :codextroq: :codexquince:
:vendetta::pschip: :pscrash: :codexquince:
:gloria: :pschip: :pscrash: :codexonimaru:
:codexzane: :pscrash: :pschip: :codexonimaru:

Ggs

3 Likes

This was such a tight set. Multiple matchups I’ve really not explored all that much, I think I’ve played Oni-Gloria once or twice before this? (Sorry not sorry about checkmating you with Q on that last beat.)

I got antsy a few too many times against Zane dodges…

Then there was the time I went “Eh, I’m not too worried about jokering that Vendetta dodge, I’m just gonna get hit with K again, which will bounce K back to hand…” and then you had AAA…

2 Likes

Mastrblastr 4 - 2 @Ivan
:degrey: < :zane: got stomped here really not close
:onimaru: > :midori: Think I hit him with T T 8 to start. Hard to come back from that
:gwen: < :rook: Got perfected except chip damage YIKES this was a BRAVE Rook
:zane: > :degrey: Block Block Block Block Block Powerup Play Anarchy #grappler
:zane: > :vendetta: Throw Throw Throw Throw Perfect #grappler
:onimaru: > :midori: super super super tense game I saved jokers to use at right spot, won with 3hp

GGs!

5 Likes

The matchup results posts for the last three posts ended with ggs, Ggs, GGs. Is this a coincidence or a subtle buildup to maximum hype?!

3 Likes

snoc vs @mysticjuicer

results hidden for VOD fans

:quince: :pschip::psfist: :lum: weird draws for me, bunch of throws and normals and 2s but no face cards
:quince: :psfist::pschip: :lum: start with throw 7 J and keep going from there
:quince: :pschip::psfist: :lum: another great start but I choke the ending
:quince: :pschip::psfist: :lum: almost vortex out the comeback from 8hp but then juicer finds the PF to kill me
:troq: :psfist::pschip: :lum: Juicer plays nothing but Js, Ks and wild haymakers and it is TERRIFYING. Super close finish to this one.
:troq: :psfist::pschip: :lum: Some interesting range shifts in here - actually manage to land some Ks
:troq: :psfist::knockdown: :midori: Disgusting number of face cards into BU.
snoc wins 4-3!

GGS!!!

5 Likes

vengefulpickle vs @flagrantangles

:vendetta::psfist::pschip::quince: A perfect, won with 4 back-to-back K throws, plus a dodge into J to close it out
:vendetta::pschip::psfist::quince: The washing machine was in full effect
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::quince: Sets has a lot of good cards, and played under honest Ks a few too many times
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::valerie: Sets is very huggy this game. Valerie melts.
:vendetta::pschip::psfist::persephone: The mistress sets Ven up, and knocks him down.
:rook::pschip::psfist::persephone: And does it again to Rook
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::grave: Sets gets some solid reads, and solid damage, and takes the set.

Good games!

4 Likes

Southpaw Hare vs @Caralad

:vendetta: :psfist::pschip: :rook:
:vendetta: :psfist::pschip: :degrey:
:vendetta: :psfist::pschip: :degrey:
:vendetta: :pschip::psfist: :rook:
:geiger: :psfist::pschip: :rook:

Southpaw Hare 4 - 1 Caralad
Southpaw Hare wins!

4 Likes

Xiba vs @Hobusu
:valerie: :pschip: :psfist: :setsuki:
:valerie: :psfist: :pschip: :setsuki:
:valerie: :pschip: :psfist: :setsuki:
GGs! This mu is really fun and fair! Sets starts almost with throw except one surprise Q. Val block most of Qs and wins with almost all A(orb). Val’s J++ is super strong. I was a sets player ago so I can tell what in sets hand when she’s hand gets low. So how to counter a character may be using it more haha.

6 Likes

Sets Is A Grappler

2 Likes

Xiba vs @JonnyD
:valerie: :pschip: :psfist: :menelker: Strong character with a strong man! Menelker is super strong!
:onimaru: :psfist::pschip: :gloria: I’m struggling to avoid menelker, so onimaru is a choice. And this mu is good and fun I think. I nearly got killed.
:onimaru: :psfist::pschip: :gloria: I win turns until gloria got around half blood. And she didn’t heal much.
:onimaru: :psfist::pschip: :lum: Lum got a good start but onimaru is more cunning.
:onimaru: :psfist::pschip: :grave: I guess the important cards right in this mu such as Q and good throw so that I finished the match and didn’t give his menelker the chance to show.
GGs! Good luck next time and best wishes.

3 Likes

Ivan vs Southpaw Hare - 4:2
:lum::pschip::psfist::bbb:
:midori::psfist::pschip::menelker:
:troq::pschip::psfist::bbb: - land BU, but still lost
:valerie::psfist::pschip::gloria:
:troq::psfist::pschip::bbb: - land BU and win
:troq::psfist::pschip::bbb: - play BUx3 - one blue burst and 2 FTW. This bull is so strong, still this MU is tense and fun. GGS mate.

3 Likes

ArthurWynne vs vengefulpickle

:argagarg: :psfist: :knockdown: :troq: Aggrogarg takes the first bout!
:grave: :knockdown: :psfist: :setsuki: @vengefulpickle changes things up - for most of the game things seem to go well, but Setsuki is never defeated until her last hit point is gone. One crucial combat win and dump gets the vortex rolling - and then it’s hiah-hiah-hiah until I’m staring down the barrel of a last-turn 50/50 - and get it wrong.

:grave: :knockdown: :psfist: :setsuki: Again I win the early game, again Setsuki hangs in there and brings it back.
:grave: :psfist: :knockdown: :setsuki: The curse is broken - or at least I guess right on the last turn this time.
:grave: :psfist: :knockdown: :onimaru: A different matchup requires a different approach - I block-block-block and power up as needed to always have TPoS, lean hard on 7* and hardly play any attacks, and it works, as @vengefulpickle seems to expect me to be more aggressive, as I usually am.

:grave: :knockdown: :psfist: :onimaru: It doesn’t work for long though. @vengefulpickle has my number.
:grave: :psfist: :knockdown: :onimaru: I don’t feel any more comfortable with any of the other Oni counters though, and I’m not about to let him counterpick me in the last round. I’m too reluctant to throw and play into a bunch of dodges, but I’m saved by drawing both my jokers early, keeping me flush with cards and Oni low, so I can kill him with a thousand cuts in the late game.

Final result: 4-3 to ArthurWynne

Very good games @vengefulpickle, every single round was tense and close!

4 Likes

@JonnyD vs @Bob199

:onimaru::psfist::pschip::midori: just have 8s and 10s.
:onimaru::psfist::pschip::gloria: just play rps.
:menelker::pschip::psfist::bbb: got booped
:menelker::psfist::pschip::bbb: 2 city
:menelker::psfist::pschip::valerie: 2 jokers and 3 qs before half my deck.

JonnyD wins 4-1.

Good games Bob! Always fun.

6 Likes

JonnyD vs @ArthurWynne

:menelker::pschip::psfist::bbb:
:menelker::psfist::pschip::bbb:
:menelker::psfist::pschip::bbb:
:menelker::psfist::pschip::lum: https://twitter.com/iJonnyD/status/1099313445734924288
:menelker::pschip::psfist::persephone:
:menelker::pschip::psfist::persephone:
:menelker::psfist::pschip::persephone:

JonnyD wins 4-3!

4 Likes

Hey, all. We’re a little backed up in the lower bracket, so the deadlines for matches are likely to be a bit wonky. Don’t sweat it too much unless you’re part of the backlog chain, in which case I’d really appreciate your efforts to play your games ASAP.

2 Likes

Hobusu vs @MR75

:gwen: :pschip: :timer_clock: :bbb:
:degrey: :psfist: :pschip: :grave:

MR wins by concession, because my computer and/or internet were causing me to freeze up too much (almost reached a double-digit number of times in just the second game, including one while I was trying to say that I wanted to concede because of it) and because I’ve been holding this tournament back too long.

@vengefulpickle

2 Likes

Really sad to win this way, but I understand that from your side playing with continuos crashes it was a pain.

My Yomi’s goal is mostly to have fun playing and that was a potentially really fun set, alas.

Hope we’ll clash again in other matches!

3 Likes