2020 Year End Wrap-Up

It’s that time again! Let’s close out 2020 with some stats!

As you may know, I maintain a spreadsheet of tournament results which records any and all reported Yomi tournament games. Every year I put together a wrap up post for the year, of players who played the most games (overall, and with a specific character), and players who had the best game win percentages (overall, and with a specific character).

A few arbitrary decisions need to be made when compiling these lists, and I’m going to lay them out so it’s clear what I did and why. If you have a question about any of these decisions, or a suggestion of what you’d like to see next year, let me know in the thread!

If you want to compare with last year’s list, here is the link to that thread .

Summary
  1. I’ve excluded all restricted and team events from the stats. So if you did really great in Topanda or Best of the Rest, those results won’t be counted. In the interests of measuring people against the same standard as much as is possible, this was the ‘least bad’ solution I could come up with. All ‘in-person’ tournaments and 1v1 call-out/grudge/hype matches are tagged as restricted.
  2. For overall and character specific ‘best winrates’ I only counted people who had a certain number of qualifying games (i.e. a certain number of non-restricted, non-team games). I excluded people who had less than 20 tournament games over the course of the year, and for character specific rates, you had to have played the character in at least 15 tournament matches. These thresholds were not arrived at scientifically, or through rigorous and careful analysis; I just needed thresholds to prevent the top Grave list being people who had played only a handful of Grave games.
  3. I only ended up using ‘top 5’ lists for character specific games played and winrates, rather than ‘top 10’ or more. For a lot of the cast, requiring 15 qualifying games meant that only a few people were on the ‘top 10’ list. Similarly, for a lot of the cast, it would mean putting someone in a ‘top 10’ with a less than 25% winrate, which didn’t feel right, or kind. I know this stuff is touchy enough already for some people, so I went with a blanket ‘top 5’ and excluded anyone with a win rate less than 50% to avoid feel-bad situations on the character specific lists.

Tournament Winners for Events That Ended in 2020

Overall Most Games Played and Highest Win Rates in 2020

Special shoutouts to @Caralad for an absolutely fantastic year in Yomi, reaching a 63% win rate over a staggering 246 tournament matches! @mastrblastr and @migohunter likewise had phenomenal (60%+) win rates while playing over a hundred matches this past year!

Grave

Jaina

Midori

Setsuki

Rook

DeGrey

Valerie

Geiger

Lum

Argagarg

Quince

Onimaru

Troq

BBB

Menelker

Persephone

Gloria

Gwen

Vendetta

Zane

Special Achievements

The Cheese Stands Alone: awarded to any player who is the only person to have played enough qualifying games with a greater than 50% win rate for the year for a given character. Awarded to: Caralad (Valerie), vengefulpickle (Lum),

Prom Royalty: awarded to any character that was popular enough to fill all top 5 spots with players for the year. Awarded to: Setsuki, Persephone.

Perfectly Balanced: awarded to any character that had the same number of top 5 players for both games played and win rate. Awarded to: Grave, Midori, Valerie, Lum, Quince, Troq.

Most Likes: awarded to the player who reached a top 5 spot in games played with the most characters. Awarded to: ArthurWynne (Grave, Midori, Geiger, Persephone), Ivan (Grave, Jaina, Midori, Setsuki).

Hey, That’s My Main…: awarded to any player who achieved the highest win rate with a character while also playing the most games with them. Awarded to: mastrblastr (Zane), Caralad (Troq, Valerie), feathers (Argagarg), vengefulpickle (Lum).

14 Likes