2019 Year End Wrap-Up

It’s that time again! Let’s close out 2019 with some stats!

As you may know, I maintain a spreadsheet of tournament results which records any and all reported Yomi tournament games. Every year I put together a wrap up post for the year, of players who played the most games (overall, and with a specific character), and players who had the best game win percentages (overall, and with a specific character).

A lot of arbitrary decisions need to be made when compiling these lists, and I’m going to lay them out so it’s clear what I did and why. If you have a question about any of these decisions, or a suggestion of what you’d like to see next year, let me know in the thread!

If you want to compare with last year’s list, here is the link to that thread.

Summary
  1. For ‘best winrates’ stats, I excluded all restricted and team events. So if you did really great in Topanda or Best of the Rest, those results won’t be counted. In the interests of measuring people against the same standard as much as is possible, this was the ‘least bad’ solution I could come up with. All ‘in-person’ tournaments and 1v1 call-out/grudge/hype matches are tagged as restricted.
  2. For simplicity’s sake I’ve also excluded restricted and team events from the ‘most games played’ stats.
  3. In a first-to-four style event (for example), if you won a set 4-2, that counts as you playing 6 games.
  4. For overall and character specific ‘best winrates’ I only counted people who had a certain number of qualifying games (i.e. a certain number of non-restricted, non-team games). I excluded people who had less than 20 tournament games over the course of the year, and for character specific rates, you had to have played the character in at least 15 tournament matches. These thresholds were not arrived at scientifically, or through rigorous and careful analysis; I just needed thresholds to prevent the top Grave list being people who had played only a handful of Grave games.
  5. I only ended up using ‘top 5’ lists for character specific games played and winrates, rather than ‘top 10’ or more. For a lot of the cast, requiring 15 qualifying games meant that only 4 or 6 people were on the ‘top 10’ list. Similarly, for a lot of the cast, it would mean putting someone in a ‘top 10’ with a less than 25% winrate, which didn’t feel right, or kind. I know this stuff is touchy enough already for some people, so I went with a blanket ‘top 5’ and excluded anyone with a win rate less than 50% to avoid feel-bad situations on the character specific lists.

Tournament Winners for Events That Ended in 2019

Kudos to @Legion for taking home three #1 finishes this past year, and @mastrblastr for getting the gold twice.

Overall Most Games Played and Highest Win Rates in 2019

Grave

Jaina

Midori

Setsuki

Rook

DeGrey

Valerie

Geiger

Lum

Argagarg

Quince

Onimaru

Troq

BBB

Menelker

Persephone

Gloria

Gwen

Vendetta

Zane

6 Likes

I’m happy I won my first tournament and apparently made it to #3 on the list of people who use DeGrey a lot despite not playing as much Yomi as I would’ve liked!

2 Likes

I didn’t expect that my Persephone would have a 59% winrate, that’s for sure. :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Not sure if I should celebrate getting to at least a least a 50% win rate with 3 of the 4 characters I played the most with, or sad at the overall number of players on most of the lists.

Also, clearly time to up my Ven game.

2 Likes

Yeah the size of the community definitely shrank in 2019 compared to 2018.

2 Likes

Sad. At least a few new players came in even if most of them aren’t playing in tournaments right now. I just remembered that I’m one of the new players

3 Likes

Yeah, we’ve got people trickling in, still. I’d love to find an untapped well of new talent/interest somewhere, but I haven’t figured out where to go, yet. Maybe we can get the Japanese scene to join IYL this year?

4 Likes

@Kasumi, do you know anyone in the Japanese Yomi scene? I’ve heard rumors that there are players that appear on the steam app and play in closed games…

2 Likes

Dang @ivan and @ArthurWynne are truly players to look out for.

1 Like

:midori: :codexmidori: :chibimidori:

3 Likes

I’ve been informed by @JonnyD that I’m the best Jaina player so yay for me.

Ok back to being busy

6 Likes

It was the best of times and the worst of times. My win rate was good, but my participation rate was bad. This year should be better, but I am waiting until I know for sure that I am committed to playing again. I wish the best of luck to those players trying to dominate 2020.

5 Likes

I’ve gone ahead and added 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place finishers to the spreadsheet for all of the tournaments I could easily find on the forums.

2 Likes