[Yomi Tournament] IYL 5

I think your split was fine. You certainly have more information about your hand and what you need, so I raised the ‘put 2 Queens on the same side’ option just as an alternative split that occurred to me, and might not have occurred to a viewer who hasn’t played much Quince.

I didn’t actually intend any criticism on the Flagstone tax - though I grant it doesn’t come across that way in the video! What I mean is that the Flagstone tax shouldn’t factor into Fivec’s decision making at all.

Glad you enjoyed the video, and appreciate the response!

6 Likes

Shax vs @Ms.Stress

:valerie::psfist::pschip::setsuki: this went well
:valerie::psfist::pschip::setsuki: and then she drew the Q’s. she managed to joker both of my biggest damage attempts and gets me down to 4hp. I scrub it out in the scramble.
:valerie::psfist::pschip::troq: Smug 30 something combo nets me 2 aces and a big lead. Beast unleashed. 3 hp vs 27 hp but it turns out T6AA =28 damage.

Those last two games could really go either way.

Respect and GG.

5 Likes

Dreadlands R6
MR vs @Corroyeur 2-3

:grave::pschip::psfist::onimaru: no way orange crush hit hard!
:grave::psfist::pschip::onimaru: good hand, I managed a 5–>tpos… 50 dmg were hard even for oni and took him down to 5hp left, then he did’t want to give up!!! finally landed a throw…
:grave::psfist::pschip::onimaru: good hand again… and no FA in his hand!
:grave::pschip::psfist::onimaru: no way orange crush hit hard also this match (I managed to touch him at least…)
:grave::pschip::psfist::onimaru: final tense match. Good oni start, took me down to 12hp, then I try a little comeback, stopped by his joker on my K+5J attack and ended by a FA K+ vs Q (no joker on my side, even with 15 cards left…maybe I drew too many of them in my previous rounds :sob:! I scratched my fingers on table since I had a dodge and tpos follow up…for a final choice card!)

GGs Corroyeur
I have to study this matchup… during the games that I lost, I felt very messed up, with no escape way!
And even 2nd game, your comeback was very scary!

GL in the rest of the league!

4 Likes

Morningstar Sanctuary
scymrian v. @Fluffiness

Onimaru > Setsuki
Onimaru < DeGrey
Setsuki < DeGrey
Setsuki > DeGrey
Setsuki > Quince

the world revolves around the cute little ninja girl who forces close timeouts in game 5. ggs Fluff!

2 Likes

thehug0naut vs @shamusj in The Dreadlands

:jaina::pschip::psfist::setsuki: Needed to make some range adjustments
:jaina::psfist::pschip::setsuki: When you do win combat, win it SUPER HARD
:jaina::psfist::pschip::setsuki: Was staring down 29HP sets with only 16 of my own, thankfully I had been so free with my aces that they were respected and I threw into 30 sealed it.
:jaina::psfist::pschip::troq: Everyone should firekick beast unleashed right in the kisser. Dr Jaina’s orders

thehug0naut wins 3-1

The rumours of ninjas and minotaurs in the Dreadlands were not exaggerated. Thankfully for me, neither was Jaina’s ability to melt her opponent’s lifebars.

GGs friend, was a pleasure to play you :smiley:

7 Likes

Morningstar Sanctuary
pengwndude vs @Phrawger
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :midori:

poor phrawger had real bad internet issues
gg’s otherwise though

3 Likes

Flagstone City
Copper versus niijima-san
3-1

I WON A SET

:menelker::psfist::pschip::persephone:
Avoided the Mind Controls, did not avoid the KD loops. Luckily Menelker does damage a lot faster than Perse, and I also managed to close out a match even after idiotically not going for lethal when I just needed to combo for 4 damage.
HIGHLIGHT: powering up for a card out of deck because my joker was BareYourSouled, joker shuffled into deck, draw joker, use it to avoid mind control dodge follow up that very combat.
:menelker::pschip::psfist::argagarg:
Be at 17 health, land DSD on 70 health Arg so that we are both at 15. He attacks my throw and I still lose.
:menelker::psfist::pschip::argagarg:
He doesn’t counter my joker removal and saves it to counter A removal. I gold burst a blowfish spikes, and dodge into DSD for the win.
:menelker::psfist::pschip::argagarg:
Threaten DSD, land K++AA for big damage, then mash fast moves to close it out.

Good games!

9 Likes

Flagstone City

Niijima-San vs UTRALAW

Niijima-San wins 3-2

:chibilum: :pschip::psfist: :chibiargagarg:
:chibivendetta: :psfist::pschip: :chibiargagarg:
:chibivendetta: :psfist::pschip: :chibivalerie:
:chibivendetta: :pschip::psfist: :chibivalerie:
:chibijaina: :psfist::pschip: :chibivalerie:

Honorable combat concluded.

7 Likes

Honorable combat concluded.

5 Likes

Pandalands
CCC vs ClanNatioy
3-0

:geiger: >>> :bbb:

ggs well-played

4 Likes

The Dreadlands
thehug0naut vs @MysticDeadman
:rook::psfist::pschip::gwen:
:rook::psfist::pschip::gwen:
:rook::psfist::pschip::bbb:
thehug0naut wins 3-0!

The shadow plague is rampant in the Dreadlands, but thankfully Rook is immune to its icy tendrils.

GGs friend and well played.

#MakeRookGreatAgain

7 Likes

Game 3 was actually 3B, not Gwen.

GGs, though, and good luck to you the rest of the way.

Scrub video to come!

6 Likes

Fixed in original post.

Sorry for that dude. Playing back to back melts my brain.

SUPER EXCITED FOR VIDEO!

3 Likes

Morningstar Sanctuary
pengwndude vs @variable
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :quince:
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :quince:
:troq: :pschip: :psfist: :bbb:
:argagarg: :psfist: :pschip: :bbb:
The longest yomi match I have ever played

GGs

3 Likes

X.8 Speed (at least) normals are where it’s at! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m disappointed with how I played that first Range in the BBB/Arg game. I, for some reason, became unwilling to throw ye after a while, & I allowed ye to block a dodge of mine for three turns in a row, I think. I expected ye to Burst or Blowfish Spikes ye way out, as that beats everything but block or dodge, and my King was known information - incentivizing a fast attack of some kind - but I was mistaken! Game three was a perfect, and that’s alrighty, but… For some reason ye can’t trade perfects for set wins! :joy_cat:

1 Like

I was keeping a close eye on how many kings you had. But in the beginning before you were range I was just attacking a lot and you were just blocking and that worked out for me

2 Likes

Flagstone City
flagrantangles wins 3-0 vs @vengefulpickle

:quince: :psfist::pschip: :vendetta:

I thought for sure I was going to see Setsuki come out, but I was wrong. I was confronted with an insectoid assassin from the Dreadlands! These games were pretty cleanly mine, but he did get some very nice hits in such as the opening K-Throw and the silent SURGICAL STRIKES that both hit me in the knockers!

In the second game, I manage to burst a lethal and then murder him due to his super low hand size.

In the third game, I got spin and flipped him all around during my K-Spins. Eventually he got out and we went back to neutral until I snatched him and threw him back in. After that, I spin him close to death. He blocks my J-Spin and I take the chip to keep Positive Spin on and then I reveal Q. And then I play the Queen honestly and it bonks the 8-throw.

After the games I gave vengefulpickle some tips on how to make Quince players hate this matchup so we’ll see how much I come to regret that in the future!

GGs, vengefulpickle!

8 Likes

#justiceforknockers
Edit: turns out that # bolds the fuck out of things so my shitpost just got shittier.

2 Likes

Dreadlands R6: @snoc vs @BD_Corro

:valerie: :psfist::pschip: :setsuki:
:valerie: :pschip::psfist: :setsuki: Surprise A++ and surprise A+!

snoc wins 3-1!

GGs @BD_Corro. This MU is kind of fun in a really perverse insane rushdown way. Comes down to RPS a lot, since both characters have reasonably reliable damage. I got lucky with drawing aces and jokers in some of those, I think, and not too much in the way of terrible Val hands. GL in the rest of IYL!

5 Likes

Put a space before the pound sign. Then your shitpost won’t be a boldpost.