[Yomi Tournament] IYL 5 - Starting June 4! - Signups close Friday 6/2

Of course I’m in! Somebody has to be the first repeat champion!

Oh, and I’m PST. Good window for me is 6pm-10pm.

6 Likes

I will enter this with at least 80% of my viscera intact. My time zone is CDT and my availability is restricted to the library’s open hours. For now I’ll just say that I cannot play on Sundays at all or after 8:00 P.M.

6 Likes

I hain’t touched a Yomi in a little while, but, I’m in. Knock the dust off the hard way. EDT. Best between 6 PM - 11 PM, but can reach outside of that as long as I have significant (multiple days at least) notice.

Edit for convenience: that’s 10 PM (22:00) to 3 AM UTC

5 Likes

we need to get you a computer one of these days.

1 Like

I’ve got a computer! I rely on the library for the internet. #TWEEST

4 Likes

Hi ! I’m in :smile_cat:

5 Likes

I’ve only recently started playing, but I’m interested. The thing is, I’m moving halfway across the world and starting a new job at the beginning of July, so I don’t know what my schedule will be like. How flexible is the scheduling for games?

1 Like

Edit: I was kinda right but mostly misleading. The rules say "Match results must be posted in the thread by Sun @ 11:59 pm GMT of the following week (you have two weeks to play each match)" (emphasis mine). So you actually have twice as long as I originally said you did.

In the past there has been some leniency for taking longer, but this IYL is under new management so I don’t know.

I’m definitely open to some flexibility in match scheduling, as long as it works out ok w/ the rest of your round robin group. I think it could get hard if you ended up getting too many games behind, but I’ll put you in, and we can touch base closer to the event start just to make sure things are still looking alright.

1 Like

Yeah, the rules are a bit inconsistent, and I haven’t decided how to resolve that inconsistency (I copied these sections from the IYL4 rules). It has the bit you quoted, but also says that matches will be played weekly.

My currently feeling is that we should aim to stick to a weekly cycle as much as possible, but I’m willing to reconsider if others with more experience in the format think that every two weeks is more reasonable.

Thanks! I don’t think it should be a problem. I don’t mind staying up a bit later or waking up a bit earlier for matches. I’ll be in UTC+8.

Looking forward to this!

2 Likes

The original reason behind the weekly schedule with a two week deadline was to keep players engaged. Making forfeit decisions sucks the life out of the league. I wanted to give as much leniency as possible, and it allowed me to be more strict about the deadline because the players have an extra week.

The only downside is that it adds an extra week to the season because you have to wait two weeks for the final week to complete. I encouraged players to try and finish the final week in one week so that the playoffs could start. I can’t remember if that was successful in getting the playoffs started on time.

1 Like

Yeah, you can still encourage weekly matches with a two week deadline. It worked most of the time when I was involved.

Playoffs didn’t really start on time though…

1 Like

In addition to TO’ing, I would love to participate as well!

Timezone: PST

2 Likes

So THAT’S the secret to your username.
You’re intentionally directing yourself away from owning a computer.

1 Like

I guess I probably should. UK time. August might be a bit busy for me. Is it still allowed to play RR matches ahead of schedule?

3 Likes

Yeah, that seems like a fine thing.

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. We’ll keep that rule.

EDIT: @Bryce_The_Rice, are you going to be joining us? I noticed that you’ve commented on the rules, but haven’t explicitly said you’ll play.

1 Like

No, I’m done with yomi these days. For a variety of reasons, not least of which being that eventually the excitement of the game isn’t worth scheduling matches at times normal people ought to be sleeping.

I comment on the rules because I have a lot of experience. Two time TO of IYL plus one or two other tournaments.

2 Likes

I updated the time zone in my original post.
EDT Detroit Rock City, Birthplace of Techno

I’m going to be away a fair amount in the first half of July but would still like to sign up if that’ll be ok to work around

GMT/BST timezone and tend to play in the window 7pm-11pm

2 Likes