Yomi Goals?

I am closing in on one of my personal goals that I had my eye on shortly after I started playing Yomi in 2014. After reflecting, I started to wonder. What goals do you have? Are these goals more process oriented goals (i.e. practice) or outcome oriented? Maybe you just play to enjoy yourself.

btw, for those that are interested, I will update this thread with my primary goal after it has been achieved or failed. It should be decided within the next few weeks.

3 Likes

70% set win percentage. Always had this as my personal bar, my last loss , if I had won it , would have gotten me there

2 Likes

my goal was just to have fun. I retired when i stopped enjoying the game and started hating the meta carousel.

2 Likes

Legion, that is one area where we differ. I started out in this game playing around 1500 quick matches with just Setsuki. Sirlin had me convinced to git gud. Then, I joined tournaments. I do not think I have ever been bored in a match. I hit the flow state trying to exploit whatever small/perceived advantage that I can. Hell, I have like 4 complete gold decks from fighting the damn bots in my spare time. I guess I am easily entertained.

not saying I am right, just sharing my 2 cents. Yomi is fun and competitive, but imo (just imo) there are 2 chars (just 2) that ruin the game for me. I know them, i can play them, i can beat them. Just that they are part of the meta, and winning or losing against them feels hollow to me. Hence the retirement.

1 Like

My goal ever since winning my first tournament had always been to be considered the best Yomi player of all time. Hubris, I know, but it’s the only thing I’ve ever done where I felt I could actually be the best at. At first, I wanted this validation from the “it” crowd (won’t name names) but since it quickly became apparent that that would never happen I just wanted to be vindicated by history. Since deluks917 existed however it has also become apparent that his legacy will never be catapulted either. So now I just play every once in a while for fun.

4 Likes

Fair enough. I used to play competitive poker. This sure beats the hell out of those crazy over half blind all in situations. Until I find something better, I shall remain. It would be nice if the stakes were higher, but I can’t have it all.

1 Like

I mean, we could try running a tournament w/ an entry fee. But the community is so small right now that I’m not sure we’d get traction. I dunno, maybe higher stakes would bring more people out of the woodwork.

Funny you should mention this. I felt the same way as an outsider coming in for the first few years. Then, I quit caring about that. My ELO and my record is the only thing I compare myself to now. Jordan Peterson summed up my Yomi philosophy, “Compare yourself to who you were yesterday.”

btw, you are CKR and ELO validated as the second best player to play the game. Not bad.

2 Likes

The best and probably only way to do that would be to raise a prize pool. I did bring an entry fee up in the past with lukewarm results. Neigutten put up a couple hundred dollars in prizes and it still had a limited/negligible uptick in participation.

Do you feel like this was helpful? I rarely play against the bots, because I don’t feel that confident that the things I’d be learning would be correct at competitive levels.

Neigutten’s tournaments were all single-day, though, which I think limited the audience (I know that I couldn’t play in them due to the time constraints).

2 Likes

Yes, I can’t explain it very well, but you become comfortable in more MUs and different situations. It has a very limited upside, but you can learn something. Winning against the bot is not the key. I think just thinking about the game is what helps.

1 Like

I agree with CKR. Even bots can help you get the feel of a char, exp if you struggle against it. When you start beating the bot consistently, do like i do, fight only his EX counterpart, the OPness makes him almost human-difficult.

3 Likes

Um, i’ve only opened 13/20 of the decks so far. So my goal is probably to bust those open and get them in rotation in our local yomi nights and start learning some more matchups.

3 Likes

@GirdotLV, feel free to join us on the digital version. I am a bit jealous of the people that get to play in the physical format, but for me the amount of players is much higher on the forums.

4 Likes

@CKR oh i do. i have all 20 characters digitally, i play peeps from discord from time to time.

4 Likes

Good question!

When I started, my goal was “well, figure out this weird game”. Then it was “learn how to play character X/Y”. At that point, though, I kinda found myself settling, accepting I was a mediocre player. My goal was just to get in tournaments and Yomi, because being crushed by the top tier of players showed me that I would have to fight through a whole lot to actually be good, and I didn’t think I had the skill.

Then I landed on top of my IYL division, and now I’m bewildered. Have I just been slow-cooking potential all this time? Has the changed player pool affected my chances of winning tournaments? I don’t think of myself as a good player, so I’m not sure what’s going on now, or what my goals should be. The promise of being a fierce player hangs in the air, if I want to lean into it. I don’t feel like it’s out of reach any more.

4 Likes

@CarpeGuitarrem, I hit a similar point in my development. My development was accelerated in the early phase because I played around 1500 matches with Setsuki in QM over a 3 month time span. I played every day. I entered my first tournament. It was Summer Smash 2014. I placed 4th in a 64 player field. It felt great.

Then, my development slowed for about two years. I was an above average player, but could not break through to what I wanted to be. I wanted to be great. I have kept playing. My improvements have been steady. I no longer get nervous in any situation. I still feel the nervous tension, but I am very confident in my decisions.

If you keep at it, you will continue to see development. Just don’t be surprised when the inevitable setback comes. This game is humbling. The Yomi life is all about teetering on the edge of greatness.

3 Likes

As an aside, I have been wondering if 60%+ win rates will be more difficult to achieve going forward than it was in the past. With less inexperienced players coming on board, my hypothesis is that the player base is more concentrated with stronger players. I could be wrong, but the current community has that feel.

4 Likes