[XCAPS21] Round 3: flagrantangles [Blood]/Discipline/Past vs FrozenStorm [Past]/Balance/Finesse

I’m chaining it to save my life lol! Probably won’t make it but gotta try!

1 Like

I think this way works.

P1T10

Starting Hand Workers

STARTING HAND
Bloodrage Ogre
Reversal
Captured Bugblatter

WORKERS
Charge
Careless Musketeer
Scorch
Pillage
Nautical Dog
Mad Man

Next Hand

Bloodrage Ogre
Makeshift Rambaster
Undo
Shoddy Glider

Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid - ($10)
Hire another Captured Bugblatter. - ($7)
Sacrifice Bombaster who manages to do nothing to the Patrol Zone; Captured Bugblatters deal 2 damage to your base; Bloodburn gains a rune. - ($6)
Remove runes from Bloodburn to kill the Nullcraft; Captured Bugblatters deal 2 more points of damage to your base and destroy it.

Float ($6)
Discard 2, draw 1, reshuffle, draw 3

Board Info:
In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader: Crash Bomber 2/2A
  • :psfist: Elite: Stewardess of the Undone 3/3
  • :ps_: Scavenger: Captured Bugblatter 2 4/2
  • :pschip: Technician: Captured Bugblatter 1 4/2
  • :target: Lookout:

In Play:

• Bloodburn
  • Drakk (1) 1/3

Buildings:

• :heart: Base HP: 18
  • :heart: Tech I HP: 5
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Blood)
  • :heart: Surplus HP: 4

Economy Info:
Cards:

• Hand: 4
  • Deck: 5
  • Disc: 0

Gold:

• Gold: 6
  • Workers: 10
Thoughts

Did we…do it?

@FrozenStorm’s turn!

1 Like

Hmmm, I’m not actually sure if you can sacrifice bombaster without a valid target for it’s ability; @zhavier any insight?

Second bugblatter may mean I need to retire the game either way but would like a rules consult to know the answer either way!

When we roll back due to an error, do we roll back to the beginning of a turn before upkeep?

My gut feeling on this is that it comes under “do as much as you can”: an ability has to hit a valid target if there is one, but if there isn’t one you can still activate it. For comparison, if you don’t have any units on the board then you can still play Spirit of the Panda, and it will still stay around to give healing.

2 Likes

Really? I didn’t know you can play Spirit of the Panda without a unit. :astonished: That is cool! Wait does that mean if I don’t have any units when I play Spirit of the Panda, then I have to attach it to the opponent’s unit if there is one? I mean just speaking hypothetically.

I also didn’t know that about Spirit of the Panda, but the Do As Much As You Can bit was my reasoning for using Bombaster in that way.

2 Likes

I think so, yes. In a similar way, you can cast Soul Stone and just have it hang around doing nothing, because that’s an ongoing spell too.

1 Like

I see. It will prolly never happen but if you want to spend extra gold and cards and also want to thin your deck, it can be played without a target to basically trash your card.

2 Likes

I guess we are still waiting for zhavier’s ruling to confirm? flagrantangles said he is volunteering to be the bottom rug but clearly it wasn’t his intention :wink: Not workering and playing Bloodburn in T9 was a very smart move. Also didn’t know Bloodburn can target Nullcraft. :grinning:

1 Like

I’m fine to proceed based on “do as much as you can”, unless anyone strongly thinks otherwise.

2 Likes

You can definitely sacrifice without a valid target.

1 Like

Attached spells, to my knowledge, get sacrificed when they are no longer attached, so you could play it but it would not stick around.

1 Like

From what I could tell from the rules questions thread, Sharpo wasn’t sure whether this applied or not. Here’s the relevant section in the rules:

Other times [spells] say they “attach” to something, and if that something is destroyed the ongoing spell gets discarded too. But if they don’t attach to anything and don’t have channeling, they’ll stick around until something specifically destroys them.

The issue is that the discard condition never triggers, since the spell is never attached to anything, so they stick around anyway because they’re ongoing spells too.

Happy to learn something and be wrong here, GG WP @flagrantangles! I got a great combo lined up and didn’t skip the worker to put one more blocker down, should have also teched a moment’s peace earlier.

Hopefully better luck for me next round, GL to you as well!

3 Likes