Why do you play Yomi?

I’m shamelessly polling for a speech of mine. I’ve heard many stories about HOW people ran into Yomi. Now I’m interested in what kept you here.

When I was younger I used to love forcing my sister to play rock paper scissors(RPS for simplicity) with me. I say force because I seemed to be able to beat her 9 times out of 10. The fun didn’t last for to long because not many people wanted to play RPS seriously, and the game was kinda lacking in depth. At the same time I was frustrated by how most games I knew that could be played with standard deck of playing cards were secretly horrible. They either reduced into boring strategies or relied too much on lucky draws.

Yomi scratches my RPS itch something fierce and it comes with enough depth for me to gush about it YEARS after I started playing. My reason for playing is simply because I always liked RPS and Yomi is the best game ever* to focus on that dynamic. That feeling when you make a good read is intoxicating and it’s made sweeter when each decision has real weight behind it.

*I hear great things about fighting games but I have yet to go though the 1 year required training camp to reach the RPS part of them /s.

9 Likes

I tried to teach my older sister to play Yomi using the Steam version, but she ended up disliking how much memorization was “required” (even though I pointed out the reference cards that list all the moves and abilities for each character). Maybe if I ever get the physical Round 1 decks I could get her to try them when she’s in town… I suspect the online interface might have been part of the problem.

I want to play Yomi for very similar reasons to you, actually! I like trying to figure out how my opponent picks their options in RPS, but this is a much more substantial game and gives more reasons to pick one option over another than “I like Rock.” I haven’t been playing simply because I wanted to play with my family, and I haven’t been able to.

(While I’m thinking about it, I ran into that bug back when the old forums were up where I merged accounts and it now calls me “Hobusu (2)” instead of “Hobusu.” Can that be fixed still, and who would I ask to do so?)

Hopefully Fantasy Strike will be easier for you to learn! :wink:

It’s still got more that you need to learn than I’d like, but I’ve been enjoying Pokkén a lot! It really emphasizes the RPS between attack, block/“counter-attack” and grab, and the controls are relatively simple (think Smash Bros but without tilt attacks and short hopping – most actions are either a button + direction or two buttons together).

1 Like

So I learned to play yomi quite a while ago.
I then properly played it against my good friend link6616 in real life and enjoyed it.
I proceeded to play it against quite a few people in real life and loved it.
I was only playing with v1 cards, and I was sort of aware of v2 happening and being balanced online, but I wasn’t ready for that.

Eventually I started doing more quick match or casuals and entered my first tournament: The grand magic games.
I did pretty well for a newcomer! I was very pleased with how I did, and wanted to do more. I entered summer smash and did even better. I met redless there, and I’ve been playing ever since.

But the answer you wanted was what about yomi grabs me.
Well… It’s the feeling you get when you hit the perfect mix up… When you ram a super down their throat they thought you wouldn’t play… When you bluff out their joker then dodge into lethal next turn… When you get that perfect game… When you hit a spin five turns in a row… When you get that hype true reverse perfect from one hp… When you clash with someone in a fierce battle that goes down in the ages… When you dick around in casuals tossing pilebunkers and cmbs.
The game, the community, the people, the victory.
The yomi.

7 Likes

I leared about sirlingames from Tycho of penny arcade. Once he said that FD was his favourite quick game and PS his favourite deckbuilding game, so since i always found his suggestions right on the spots, i tried playing them online. Sadly was hard finding an opponent while yomi had more players.
So i started learning yomi, stuff happened, quit for a year and then back again.
I stayed cuz the community was fun (and is even more now that has been purged by toxic and troll-like ppl), and obviously cuz the game is great. I really like the mind games yomi requires at high levels, like pconditioning the opponent, the val traps, etc.

I like Yomi a lot. I think that the fact that the balance is tight while retaining very unique characters and playstyles is really impressive. Yomi boils down what is at that heart of competitive games (reads and adaptive strategy) and really delivers on reads-based gameplay. Because of this, I’d have to say that Yomi is my favorite game. I’ve really enjoyed playing Codex recently, but Yomi remains on top for me because of how clearly the game displays the advantages of one move over another to each player, so that they have as much knowledge about their opponents options as possible, and they can evaluate them properly. Codex’s systems are more interconnected, so evaluating your best moves and your opponents responses is more obfuscated. Also Yomi’s game length is :ok_hand:.

I’ve tried to keep playing and get into the online scene recently, but it may as well be dead outside of tournaments. There’s two people online and not in quick play as of posting. There’s basically no Yomi discussion on the new forums nor organized casuals. I’ll keep entering tournaments that come up on here, because I love the game and want to get better. But it’s kind of hard when Yomi-bot is the only practice partner.

Bottom-line: the game is great and that is more than enough reason to keep playing.

2 Likes

I play Yomi because I can teach it to someone in about 5 minutes and then start playing a game. I’ve whipped that game out at family reunions, work retreats, all kinds of places. I almost always get at least one taker, sometimes more. You can start playing the game almost immediately and people understand what the game is supposed to be about.

2 Likes

I play Yomi because it’s a fun competitive game that scratches my itches for asymmetry and variance, without the execution barrier. Games without variance bore me, no matter how good they are, and symmetric games never feel personal enough. Yomi allows me to flex my personal playstyle preference (:onimaru:) and not have to worry too much about every game feeling the same.

5 Likes

I play Yomi because it’s way more hype than I thought a card game could possibly be :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I play yomi because I always loved fighting games as a kid but didn’t always have the money to play or buy them. So as a kid my brother and I would try to make our own fighting game from items around our house from our toys to playing cards even using cereal boxes as stages.

So when I became an “adult” and discovered that their was a competitive and balance card fighting game I had to buy and play it. And the feeling I get from playing in person and online reminds me of good old times when life were simpler for me. I also play the game because I love games where I can play with my brother and later in life friends on a competitive level.

7 Likes

It is just a great game in so many ways ^^

3 Likes

I just got into Fantasy Strike universe about 3 months ago. I got absorbed into the character design, having always been a fan of Udon’s artists. I got all the characters already, but haven’t introduced it to anyone yet. Since I also got Flash Duel and Puzzle Strike recently, I didn’t want to bombard so many new games to my friends so quickly, so taking it slow.

I played the “bot” to learn the rules, and I though it was pretty fun. Looking forward to actually playing with other people and hope it lasts as long as it has for all of you.

3 Likes

I play for many reasons. A big reason being that I’ve tired of most games where you are playing against a board state and not what you think the opponent can or will do. That’s the main thing I enjoy so much about Yomi. I really feel like I’m playing against the person and not what the board is currently showing me. Going hand in hand with the previous point I like hidden information in games. Bluffing in games is another favorite of mine. I like card games and asymmetry is nearly a must for me (though I do and can enjoy symmetrical games).

I very much love how high a skill ceiling the game has. It takes awhile to get good and to stay good you have continue to put in work. I’ve noticed that when I come back to the game after a break my play degrades quite a bit. Just lots of little mistakes are made. I also feel like it takes a good amount of work to be good at any given character. I can play a handful of characters solidly enough (maybe 4 or 5 characters?) but then others I have much less of an idea of what I’m doing. How rushdown work? :psyduck:

Another plus for me is I’ve really gotten to love the characters and the world, except Zane, I’ve even come around on evil lawyer Degrey, maybe someday Zane too. BBB is still best. :heart: :bbb: :heart:

So pretty much Yomi is kind of THE game for me.

8 Likes

I love the fact there’s a lot of great combos and variance with all the characters. I love how unique each characters feel and the art. I love how easily portable the game is. I love the fact that there are characters like Gwen… and Gwen.

3 Likes

I play because hand management. the strategy likes my mind.

1 Like

I’ve discovered Sirlin Games with a video from a French youtuber, Dorian Chandellier, on balancing a game.
He only mentionned The Chess : 2 and Street Fighter 2 about Sirlin’s works, but gave me the curiosity to type David Sirlin on Google.

I’ve played many multiplayer games before, but something that disappointed me a lot in pretty all of them was unbalance. I mean, I’d have loved to be really able to choose my CO in Advance Wars and to be able to play fairly against any other CO with him.

The same is true for Pokemon, Blood Bowl, Super Smash Bros Melee, Epic Armageddon, and even Go game ! (for which I love 3-5 openings but I’m often forced to complete it with 3-4 enclosure, which is very boring to play and to play against in this game).

What I really loved in Yomi is to be able to choose among 20 (!) very different characters, each one with an unique style and being able to defeat any other character with an appropriate strategy !
(Yes Rook can defeat BBB and the same is true for Onimaru to defeat Argargarg ! At least winning 3 out of 10 matchs, but maybe more !).

I really really love all Fantasy Strike characters (except DeGrey and Zane), and IMO it’s the main thing that makes me love Yomi and Codex so much !

[details=Huge boring-to-read list of what else I love in Yomi too]
I also love the mindgame part of Yomi and the fact you absolutely have to adapt your strategy on each matchup (maybe BBB plays almost all matchups pretty the same but that’s an exception), I love the fact that there is no dead time when you’re just waiting for your opponent in Yomi and I love how deep can be the strategies in this game too.
I was very pleased that Yomi is also quite easy to teach to a new player (all is written on cards, and most things are kinda intuitive with the fighting game theme !).
Something I love with Yomi is that you only need 110 cards and a way to count hp to play this game, and that’s awesome for travels ! (especially trains where you have nowhere to roll two dices lol).[/details]

Yomi = my favourite game of all times

9 Likes

I take exception to this. BBB, like all characters, has to play to the opponent and the mu if he wants to succeed. In some mu he’s the aggressor (and to varying degrees based on the opponent), In some he’s playing an attack poke game. In others he has to play very patiently and wait for his moment to strike. Even Range mode plays quite differently in most mu. If BBB plays each mu the same he would get rolled against a large portion of the cast.

2 Likes

Agree with ClanNationy. BBB is not a good example of a character who plays all matchup the same at all

what about rook? You block too much and thenyou get lucky hits in every MU

1 Like

Naw, you gotta play Rook different in a lot of MUs or you’ll get bopped. BBB is the obvious one where you pretend you’re Troq, but MUs like vs Gloria Setsuki Vendetta Gwen are all blockAA whereas the rest of the cast is a more typical grappler grind.

2 Likes

The only character that plays the same in every MU is Topdeck Degrey, because why play suboptimally ?

8 Likes