What's your Favorite Deck?

If the [Feral],Law,Blood deck hasn’t been given a name I am hearby dubbing it, for the time being, NoFS or No FS. Which is short for No Fantasy Strike. All three of these characters come from a color where two of the heroes in that color are in Yomi but none of these characters are.

5 Likes

Deck that I want to get more practice in with: Blood/Truth/Past. (Not sure what starter I’m using, but I’m leaning towards Red. Purple might be more stable, though!)

The most exciting idea behind this one to me is to have a midband Drakk and a fully constructed Tech II, then playing two Shimmer Rays and Bloodlust-ing them and destroying ye opponent’s Tech I & Tech II. If ye somehow have a Quince & a Mirror that can attack, deal a little more damage to the base! :0

Another interaction that could be cool in this strategy is Shoddy Glider and Second Chances. From what I understand, the ephemeral would trigger at ye end of turn, then the Second Chances would make it arrive again, and if the opponent can’t kill it on their turn it’ll arrive again due to ephemeral and Second Chances triggering on both players’ turns! Might be nice for Shimmer Rays that ye can’t afford to discard to, but in my experience discarding a card or two is worth keeping them around instead of waiting an additional turn to be able to attack again! Kidnapping + Second Chances is also a thing!

But ye can also go a few other different ways!

3 Likes

Whats the combo of Kidnapping + Second Chances? You don’t have a way of sacrifing the unit you steal other then combat damage, so how are you getting the Second chances trigger?

Just hope they never build a tower.

3 Likes

From the codexcarddb entry for Second Chances: “If you steal a unit with Kidnapping, and this would then “return it to play,” it returns under your control, not the original owner’s control. “Return” effects check the last controller, rather than the owner. — Sirlin”[quote=“Shadow_Night_Black, post:164, topic:1079”]
Just hope they never build a tower.
[/quote]
With the right setup, destroying that first is not a problem, but even if they do build one ye could potentially get six+ damage out of one Shoddy Glider before they deal with it! Tower is not that exciting against Shimmer Rays, so if ye don’t expose the Gliders early on and put decent pressure on ye opponent it’s possible that they wouldn’t be interested in building a Tower even if they could.

Yes, but second chances only works on non combat triggers, so how are you killing the unit you steal before it returns to your opponent with using combat with this deck? Casting undo on it? (so 2 heros, 2 spells and a tech 2 upgrade, costing 7 gold and 2 cards that turn if they are all in play before it). Also given that you’ve picked 3 heros that I normally think of as back line, KILL ME NOW! targets from their abilities and spells, so your also probs casting those hero’s that turn (11 gold). A better bet would be to add Necro/Disease instead of truth. With the black starter and Orpal/Doom Grasp you have useful ways of killing their units you take. Plus Garth allows the nether drain/Max Prynn fun times.

3 Likes

The Kidnapping is causing it to leave play, but the Second Chances returns it to play as that is a non-combat trigger, after all.

And, thanks for the tips, but even "back-line"heroes can help close out games if they are properly defended. And, I’m not expecting all of that to just work! Obviously Codex offers a lot of interaction, and things can just not work out, and there are some things that are more synergy based & other things and are just solid on their own.

1 Like

Kidnapping is not making it leave play. It is only changing the controller of the card.

I’m not saying they can’t. In fact I’m saying the opposite, that they are very capable of closing out games by themselves, which is why they have a giant kill me now flag above them. I have lost too many games to a drak who I couldn’t get to in time pumping out units and buffing them.

3 Likes

I’m sorry that I explained this incorrectly in that post, but I don’t understand why you are confused. The quote I posted previously explains what is going on. When the Second Chances returns the unit to play it returns under the control of its last owner, which would be ye if ye Kidnapped it and it didn’t die.

Maybe I have it wrong, but I was under the assumption that the Kidnapping itself made the unit leave play.[quote=“Shadow_Night_Black, post:168, topic:1079”]
I’m not saying they can’t. In fact I’m saying the opposite, that they are very capable of closing out games by themselves, which is why they have a giant kill me now flag above them. I have lost too many games to a drak who I couldn’t get to in time pumping out units and buffing them.
[/quote]
Okay, yeah, I’ve lost games too. Doesn’t mean that I’m not going to assess what happened, and, when it seems correct, attempt a similar strategy with a few changes based on what I’ve learned.

1 Like

If you kidnap something, and it doesn’t die, and you lose control of it because kidnapping expires, it hasn’t left play.

5 Likes

Sorry, I had that wrong! Thanks for the explanation, @sharpobject. And, sorry, @Shadow_Night_Black, because this is basically what ye were saying. I just hoped it worked like that, but ye need something to remove it from play, like an Undo or two time runes from a maxed Prynn, which, uh, isn’t cheap like ye were saying. Still possible, though!

I’m probably just gullible, but I think that that note on the codexcarddb for Second Chances should be edited slightly to make it more obvious that ye need another piece in the Kidnapping + Second Chances puzzle.

2 Likes

@sharpobject
Ephemeral + second chances

Would this potentially keep an ephemeral unit alive for another turn?

yes, that interaction was correct.

1 Like

I am probably just overthinking it but
Ephemeral and second chances trigger at end of every player turn so :
PlayerA crashbarrow
End of turn events:
Crashbarrow dies
Second chances trigger
Crashbarrow arrives (is mechanically treated as a completely new object)
Ephemeral will trigger for the new object and kills it. Since it is still the end of turn and ephemeral hasnt triggered yet for that new object.

No, I’m pretty sure that there is a ‘framework event’ (to borrow another game’s terminology) which says ‘All End of Turn triggers happen now’. Any triggers join the queue, and then resolve. Then the turn ends, and the next turn starts. If any new objects with End of Turn triggers are brought into play, they don’t trigger, as they missed the framework event.

4 Likes

I’m going to try another modification to a deck I’ve been working with. I’m going to try running [Discipline],Feral,Law. The idea behind this deck is I don’t want any gimmicky strat or necessarily a ton of synergies that force me to go down the same one or two plans each game but to be a total tool box deck that can do a lot of different things depending on what the opponent is doing.

The White starter also helps deal with heroes which is something my previous version of this deck was really missing. The White starter also has some stat boosters to help Centaurs have a bigger impact and can even make Law’s Tech I units do some damage.

Grave gives me some base healing (which is very helpful vs Red), cycling power and a hand peak to help my favorite card land more often (Community Service), and some nice direct damage.

Sparring Partner is just really nice to have and combos well with the Feral tech I units. In addition to being a really great unit I’ve found perhaps the best target of insurance runes in Rambasa Twins (Having both twins already on the board and then insuring them both and then having them both die is the dream). Rambasa Twins seem to pair well with Calamandra’s spells because it ramps up the number of bodies you have really fast.

With Grave and Calamandra in the deck I have two really good options in the form of which early game hero to go for. Looking forward to trying out the deck.

6 Likes

I tried the above mentioned deck out and I wasn’t feeling it so much. But, I did enjoy [Discipline], Balance, Law. Having two early game heroes wasn’t as good/cool in practice as I thought it would be. Having Tiny Basilisk was super handy at putting pressure on early game heroes too. Midori himself also comes in pretty big late game and provides some cool spells for Bigby to grab with Jurisdiction.

I think I can improve on the idea though with [Past], Balance, Discipline. Don’t really care for most of the white starter and Purple starter gives some good options with Fading Argonaut, a late game 4/3 Neo Plexus, Nullcraft to give Mimic Haste and Flying, Hardened Mox to do Hardened Mox things. Hoping to try it out soon.

2 Likes

I’ve ventured out of mono-colors a little bit and made [Bashing] Peace Fire to completely focus on building destruction. Each of the associated heroes has access to at least one spell that targets and damages buildings. However, my preference is for Wrecking Ball since it costs 0 gold. I have basically been rushing to tech II Peace and using Garrisons to suddenly accelerate.

My tech choices are basically always something like Overeager Cadet x2, Lobber x2, Wrecking Ball x2, Flagstone Garrison x2, Air Hammer, Elite Training/General’s Hammer/Fire Dart.

As far as workers go, I make sure to keep cheap units to help me cycle through my deck with garrisons faster. I tend to worker the flagbearer, fruit ninja, and spark early. After that, I tend to get rid of Wither and then Bloom and then possibly a teched spell that isn’t needed anymore.

Also, Brick Thief + Bloom is amazing.

I’m still figuring out how to handle various threats but I’m feeling pretty good about it so far!

3 Likes

Sounds like a fun deck! I think I will give it a spin for my self :grin:

1 Like

It’s a grand time and I like to nickname the deck The Demolitions Crew. I should also mention that Troq becomes unusually threatening once the garrisons are out and about since Wrecking Balls + midband translate to a fair amount of borderline unstoppable building damage. The Air Hammer and Lobbers are just icing.

I’ll also say that I don’t tend to bring Troq out early game since I want to guarantee that I have him available once I need to chuck wrecking balls out.

2 Likes

OMG The Demolitions Crew i love it!

More decks should have these type of nick names!