What's the Play? - A Grave Situation

Our next entry in this series comes from the early turns of this game.

You are playing Demon/Present/Discipline, and it is the start of your Turn 3 (as player 2):

In play:
Level 1 Grave (2/3)
Thieving Imp (2/2)

Tech 1 - 5hp
Base - 20hp
7 workers, 2 floating gold

In Hand:
Skeleton Javelineer
Sacrifice the Weak
Summon Skeletons
Twilight Baron
Deteriorate

In Deck:
Poisonblade Rogue
Sparring Partner
Skeletal Archery

Discard (killed by Nullcraft last turn):
Pestering Haunt

Your opponent is playing Past/Necromancy/Blood, and has:

Board Info:
In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader: Hardened Mox (2/1+A)
  • :psfist: Elite:
  • :ps_: Scavenger:
  • :pschip: Technician: Crash Bomber (2/2)
  • :target: Lookout:
    In Play:
  • Battle Suits
  • Nullcraft (1/1)
    Buildings:
  • :heart: Base HP: 20
  • :heart: Tech I HP: 4
  • :heart: Heroes’ Hall HP: 4

All 3 heroes available to summon next turn.

Economy Info:
Cards:

• Hand: 3
  • Deck: 0
  • Disc: 4
    Gold:
  • Gold: 0
  • Workers: 7

The question, as always, “What’s the Play?”

AAA SPOILERS.
Unrelatedly: NEAT.

That’s why I waited until after your Turn 4 to post this.

Don’t worry I haven’t actually read the stuff beyond enough to recognize “Oh this our game”.
I’m also kinda curious to know what people think my P1 play is odd or anything. :stuck_out_tongue:

[Details=Almost certainly wrong, and also obvious - but the most productive possibility I can see]

You could Deteriorate Mox, to exhaust it, have Imp trade with Crash Bomber, then max Grave and attack with him to break either Tech 1 or Heroes’ Hall (which one would obviously depend on the opponent’s likely strategy, although HH is probably the favourite).

For good measure you have enough gold left to play Sac the Weak to kill Nullcraft, which may or may not be worth 2 gold and a card. And you can patrol with a 4/5 Grave (still with a sword) for good measure.

[/Details]

Don’t forget that Grave has to pay 1 extra gold for Deteriorate and Sacrifice the Weak, being off-color.

1 Like

Oops, not sure how I forgot that. In that case you can’t afford StW, but the rest of the play looks reasonable to me.

As a hyperaggressive player, this is what I would do. It is almost certainly problematic:

A Pirate's "Plan"

Get paid + float = $9
Grave casts Deteriorate on Mox to sideline it ($8)
Imp trades with Crash Bomber; Kaeli draws, your base takes 1
Grave casts Sac. the Weak killing Nullcraft ($5)
Worker Summon Skeletons ($4)

Build Tech II; seems like having the option for another hero next turn is more important (and conserves a card) than having a Twi.B as a patroller when Kaelii has no haste EDIT: I forgot all about Bloodlust for some reason. IGNORE ME! ($0) Will discard 2 and draw 4.

Alternatively: midband Grave ($1) and play Skele-Javeli ($0) Will discard 1 and draw 3, but great board presence.

Either way, Grave swings at Tech I or HH, depending on what you think Kaelii’s biggest threat is (heroes vs. units).

Plan #2:
Deteriorate Mox ($8), trade Imp into CB.
Max Grave ($2), take out Tech I or HH, then stick Grave in SQL. Edit 2: Actually, kill Nullcraft with sword, leave Grave exhausted; for some reason I thought Nullcraft was untargetable, but it’s just un-(de)buff-able.
Worker Summon Skeletons ($1)
Recruit Skeli-Javeli, in Technician ($0). Discard 2, draw 4, hope to get another from Mox killing Javeli.

I think Plan 2 is better.

Edit 1: For what it’s worth, I think taking out the HH is more important, because that’s $2 Kaelii won’t see again, and that deck seems to be hero-focused.

I’m still learning, so I’m sure I overlooked something, but here is what I would do:

Summary

Get paid + float = $9
Twilight Baron $5
Worker (Skeleton Javelineer) $4
Tower $1
Float $1
Board Info:
In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader: Twilight Baron (4/4+A)
  • :psfist: Elite:
  • :ps_: Scavenger: Thieving Imp (2/2)
  • :pschip: Technician:
  • :target: Lookout:
    In Play: Grave (2/3)
    Tech: Versatile Style, Reversal

I generally don’t like to tech 2 before my opponent, so my goal here would be to play defensively for a bit. My concern going forward would be Kidnapping, so I’d be hesitant in investing too much into units and look more towards making heroes and making them beefy.

@Ridirick While I like the general idea, he can answer with

Answer

Drakk -> Midband (2$)
Drakk casts Bloodlust on himself and Crash Bomber
Crash Bomber suicides into Twilight Baron putting another damage on Twilight Baron -> Baron dies
Nullcraft kills Thieving Imp; dies itself
Drakk kills Grave; Drakk maxbands
Mox hits your tower or patrols

This results in you not being able to play any of your spells and is a horrible board state. I’d say the probability isn’t particularly low that he actually teched Bloodlust, because he probably teched a spell, and already played a Tech I Unit, so Bloodlust is a strong candidate, because it’s one of his only board-winning options.

If you accept this line of play as a possibility you’d need to tech a strong answer and personally the best I see is Tech II Present and double Tech Tricycloid. You’re guaranteed to be able to play that in your next turn and in case the turn goes like this you summon a Tricycloid and a hero and safely remove Drakk from play.
You then stand with Economy+card advantage and a Lvl 3 hero at a good position to win the game.

1 Like

honestly i do not get this one like the previous one.
There is no way to 1 hit kill, nor a particular advantage to get. Is actually a pretty standard turn.
:confounded:

Sometimes the most important turns to analyze are the turns that don’t look particularly spectacular.
Figuring out how get the best odds of victory from a more even state seems like a good exercise to me!

1 Like
for kaeelii

that’s your opinion, and i respect it, even though i do not share it. Imho this turn is as banal as it came. I even checked ericf’s turn to see what was i missing. The answer was nothing. A simple straightforward turn. So imo there is nothing to learn here.

[spoiler]Being in the SQL position, shouldn’t Twilight Baron survive the Bloodlusted Crash Bomber + extra damage? According to my math that is 3 for the attack + 1 point extra damage for Crash Bomber’s ability, which should still leave still leave Twilight Baron at 1 because of SQL armor bonus. Nullcraft could then kill and die against Twilight Baron, Mox could still be available to kill Thieving Imp, and Drakk could kill Grave. He would sustain a point of damage at end of turn for Bloodlust. Can’t play Grave next turn, but probably wouldn’t draw any of his spell cards anyways so not terrible, maybe one, two with terrible luck.

I would be up a worker plus gain an extra gold Thieving Imp. While not in the best position, I still like where I’m at after the exchanges.[/spoiler]

@Ridirick

Midband Drakk -> Frenzy 1

1 Like

@jalias
Thanks for pointing out my oversight. I will have to give it some more thought. These puzzles would be a lot easier to do, not necessarily to solve, with the actual cards in front of me.