[Tournament] Yomi Crunch Time - Gotta Go Fast! - Live!

Generally speaking, scheduling threads go out at the intersection of “when precursor matches are played” and “when vengefulpickle runs the AutoTO script”. Usually, I run the script daily during weekdays, and occasionally on weekends. In your particular case, @feathers, we’re still waiting on @RoyalLance and @Bryce_The_Rice. Given that we’re only in round one, and that I just found out that @Bryce_The_Rice is out of town until midweek, I’m inclined to issue a TO decision on that one. However, it’s not a clear-cut case of no-responses by either player, so I need to think on it.

Long-story-short: most round 2 matches have already gone out (or just went out). The remaining 2 are waiting on me to decide on a round 1 match.

1 Like

I have been sick for most of the week and was focused on recovery. I am willing accept a forfeit or drop out if this helps this issue with my match.

1 Like

No need to drop, I’ll happily take your concede on this round so that I don’t have to flip a coin.

1 Like

I will concede the round.

1 Like

@Castanietzsche 4 - 2 @Ivan
:bbb::psfist::pschip::lum:
:bbb::pschip::psfist::argagarg:
:quince::pschip::psfist::argagarg:
:quince::psfist::pschip::argagarg:
:quince::psfist::pschip::jaina:
:quince::psfist::pschip::midori:

thx for the games ! I’m glad we could still play this one despite the time misunderstood
see you !

4 Likes

@undergroundmonorail 4 - 1 @vengefulpickle

I didn’t realize until too late that the yomi client has replays, so I had to skim through a 43 minute video to bring you my analysis. Y’all better appreciate it :stuck_out_tongue:

:setsuki::pschip::psfist::zane: - This was a close one; I had a slight health lead for most of the game (and a sick dodge out of Maximum Anarchy, phew), but after I got Zane down to 10 HP I lost a couple of key combats and it was all over.
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::zane: - I managed a huge lead really early, but it got scary for a hot minute. Suddenly none of my reads were paying off and I was in lethal range. I managed to squeak out a win but it was way closer than you’d have guessed a handful of turns in.
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::zane: - Honestly, not a lot to say about this one. Solid play from both of us but as far as my untrained eyes can see, no real “game-defining” moments. Just some good back-and-forth that ended up coming out in my favour. I did manage to reveal a Joker to save myself from dodge->lethal Maximum Anarchy, though :3
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::setsuki: - It’s really scary having to fight someone as fast as me! Turn 1 I pulled off Q, pump with J, pump with J, 4, 5, 6, and refused to search for aces to stay in SotF, and that’s kind of representitive of the whole game. We probably had about the same number of combat wins, but I was able to pull off tastier combos from them and it added up. (And yes, looking at it now I see that I could have done that first combo better, but fast timer ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::setsuki: - This game stayed close until we were both at about half health, at which point I was able to set up a nice 7QK loop that carried me pretty much the rest of the way home.

ggs, pickle! Now that I’ve had a taste of this “winning” thing I may have to try it more often. :smiley:

8 Likes

I lost, and Im pissed, ARGH!! ggs @hobusu. I cant believe you kept throwing my Troq!! Do you realize how risky that is??

2 Likes

Hobusu vs @PumpedAaron

:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :valerie:
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :valerie:
:onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :degrey:
:setsuki: :pschip: :psfist: :degrey:
:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :degrey:
:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :troq:

Final score: Hobusu 4 — PumpedAaron 2
Hobusu wins

ggs! Yes, I do realize how risky it is to throw Troq, which is exactly why I did it. :smile:

I actually picked Onimaru at the start expecting to see Troq, since I’m a bit better at using Oni against him than my other characters. It didn’t end up going that way, but I was still able to get some early wins with him. My favorite part might have been when I played 10-attack turn 1 for one of the Oni games, guard crushed with it, and then played nothing but block for at least five turns in a row. I had a lot of fun with that set of games, even the games I lost.

4 Likes

Fluff 4-0 @Samuelfrost4

:persephone::psfist::pschip::rook:
:persephone::psfist::pschip::rook:
:persephone::psfist::pschip::lum:
:persephone::psfist::pschip::lum:

This pic sums up how the games went.

GGs!

7 Likes

0-0.

such evil…

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ve told you before, but I’m a big fan of your work

3 Likes

Yeahhhhh. I made a ton of mistakes in round one (And a lot of pre-game mistakes, like thinking that Rook countered Pers xD ) And so I tried to come out of round 2 swinging super hard, that was my first attack of round 2. But all I ended up doing is tilting myself :stuck_out_tongue:

Well played Fluff! I learned a lot from playing against you, and it was a ton of fun.

5 Likes

@feathers 3-4 @RoyalLance

Was a fun and frenetic tug-of-war all the way to the end!

:argagarg::pschip::psfist::valerie:
Started out fairly even, but Arg whiffs with several Bubble Shields and an AA, and it all goes downhill from there.
:geiger::psfist::pschip::valerie:
Geiger does Geiger things, TDs fragile Val from half life for the win.
:geiger::pschip::psfist::menelker:
Menel got to discard quite a few TDs, then lategame breaks up an AA attack using his 10 and got Geiger down to a 3 card hand. The scientist is not amused.
:zane::psfist::pschip::menelker:
Zane arrives on the scene! Menel tries to do his usual tricks but Zane doesn’t care because 15 damage! and 20 damage! and pow! pow! pow!
:zane::pschip::psfist::menelker:
Surprised Royal stayed with Menelker, since I thought Nans damage counters Menelker quite well. But Royal outplays me quite well here and whittled Zane’s hand down to nothing.
:gwen::psfist::pschip::menelker:
Enter another burst damage character, except this time with actual reversals. A couple well timed combats (…and a whiffed Shadowlands Tickle) put Menel down.
:gwen::pschip::psfist::menelker:
Royal apparently really believes in Menel despite being against what I see as a strong counter. This game was a fairly even back and forth, until…

I couldn’t have asked for a better way for me to bow out of my first tournament. Good games Royal! Very glad we got to play out the full 7 down to the final tense match. I’ll see you all around!

5 Likes

Thanks for the games, @feathers!

3 Likes

Caralad vs @Shax

:troq: :pschip: :psfist: :grave:
:zane: :psfist: :pschip: :grave:
:zane: :pschip: :psfist: :troq:
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :troq:
:onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :degrey:
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :degrey:
:troq: :psfist: :pschip: :bbb:

Caralad wins 4-3

GG Shax.

3 Likes

Turns out BBB is advantaged against Troq only when I’m not playing him. I have a strange amount of false confidence with BBB from a few good moments years ago, but I should really face the music on this one unless I practice more.

Fun trivia note: I first read BBB’s name as Bas-Bal-Bata for some arcane reason, but I still say it that way because it flows really well.

4 Likes

I remember it as “Bug-Bug-Bug”

Nopethebard vs Weakling
4-2
:chibiargagarg: > :chibisetsuki:
I expected Rook, but I ran into Sets. He put himself into 2-card purgatory, and I won shortly after.
:chibiargagarg: < :chibisetsuki:
Normal for this MU. Ended narrowly when my AA was undercut by Q.
:chibitroq: > :chibisetsuki:
Normal for THIS MU.
:chibitroq: < :chibisetsuki:
I guess I smelled blood in the water and got too aggressive, I didn’t get to do much this game.
:chibigwen: > :chibisetsuki: 2x
I rushed him down hard.

GGs, Weakling!

2 Likes

fee bee vs bomber678
:degrey::psfist::pschip::rook:
:degrey::psfist::pschip::zane:
:degrey::psfist::pschip::zane:
:degrey::pschip::psfist::zane:
:degrey::pschip::psfist::zane:
:grave::psfist::pschip::zane:

fee bee wins 4-2

ggs!

4 Likes

Hobusu vs @Samuelfrost4

:degrey: :pschip: :psfist: :lum:
:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :lum:
:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :argagarg:
:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :jaina:
:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :lum:

Final Score: Hobusu 4 — @Samuelfrost4 1
Hobusu wins

I think you said you’ve only been playing for two and a half weeks? You did very good considering that imo! There were some habits I picked up on that I think are pretty common among new players, one of which you mentioned, but there were also times when you broke out of them and I got thrown off for a while because I was leaning on them too hard, haha. I wouldn’t be able to tell you all of those habits because a lot of it on my side was more of a gut feeling like “I don’t think he’s going to block this turn, I’ll just Q”… But you can always view the replays of our games in the Yomi client (click Profile on the main menu, then Replays), so it might be worth checking those out and seeing how things looked from my perspective.

4 Likes