[Tournament] XCAFS20 - eXperimental Codex Asynchronous Fall Swiss - Sign-up / tracker thread!

Idk if y’all got a chance to see me try out Mono Black pre-tourney with Dwarddd, but it was bad.

I couldn’t get anything going, Imp can’t keep you safe, Vandy couldn’t get any kind of momentum, Orpal felt like by far the best option. I think the Imp and DP hurting Vandy changes overdid it. Without those two things, I think Black can still compete just fine w/ the gold increases on Haunt, Det & DP, along with the Vandy leveling / meta nerfs. But Imp on 1hp is a way bigger nerf than I realized. It feels like you’re only playing him to try and snipe a card.

2 Likes

I always thought dark pact damaging Vandy was bad. There are better ways to nerf.

I will put my deck in very soon, sorry for the delay. I was away all weekend

1 Like

Ok I will play [Bashing]/Discipline/Fire

2 Likes

Thank you Bomber!

I would like to shout out @codexnewb for having another great idea for the “changelog” post to lead each tourney thread: put a --- line or two between each deck, ## header 2 the starter, and ### header3 the specs. Makes them much easier to parse visually

Here’s an example:

My Starter

• changes
  • other changes

My spec 1

• changes
  • changes
  • changes

… etc

Your Starter

• changes
  • other changes

Your spec 1

• changes
  • changes
  • changes

… etc

2 Likes

No idea if it’ll be any good, but I wanna try [Growth]/Strength/Truth.

1 Like

Okay, here comes round two matchups! Great job by everyone posting the changeset for your matchup in each thread, lots of new P1s this round so keep that streak going! @James gets the bye this round

XCAFS20 Round 2

1. [XCAFS20] Round2: zhavier [Balance/Feral]/Blood vs dwarddd MonoPurple
  2. [XCAFS20] Round2: bansa [Law]/Peace/Finesse vs codexnewb [Future]/Peace/Truth
  3. [XCAFS20] Round2: Nekoatl [Growth]/Strength/Truth vs charnel_mouse [Balance]/Blood/Strength
  4. [XCAFS20] Round2: Bomber678 [Bashing]/Discipline/Fire vs CarpeGuitarrem [Bashing]/Discipline/Fire
  5. [XCAFS20] Round2: EricF [Past]/Peace/Truth vs FrozenStorm [Bashing]/Discipline/Ninjutsu
  6. James (bye)
2 Likes

Those titles still say “Round 1” instead of “Round 2”

1 Like

TY for catching that! Rusty on my tourney-running protocols it seems :wink:

Fixed it

(looks at this round’s matchup)

sEeINg dOUbLe??

3 Likes

Round 3 incoming! We’re still waiting on one game but shouldn’t affect matchmaking really anyway, I’ve been assigned the bye this week

XCAFS20 Round 3

1. [XCAFS20] Round3: zhavier [Balance/Feral]/Blood vs bansa [Law]/Peace/Finesse
  2. [XCAFS20] Round3: charnel_mouse [Balance]/Blood/Strength vs dwarddd MonoPurple
  3. [XCAFS20] Round3: codexnewb [Future]/Peace/Truth vs EricF [Past]/Peace/Truth
  4. [XCAFS20] Round3: Bomber678 [Bashing]/Discipline/Fire vs Nekoatl [Growth]/Strength/Truth
  5. [XCAFS20] Round3: James MonoBlue vs CarpeGuitarrem [Bashing]/Discipline/Fire
  6. FrozenStorm (bye)
1 Like

Round 4 hot off the press! We’re still waiting on one game but regardless of outcome Carpe has a bye comin’ and this works out, so go ahead and get it started!

XCAFS20 Round 4

1. [XCAFS20] Round4: zhavier [Balance/Feral]/Blood vs codexnewb [Future]/Peace/Truth
  2. [XCAFS20] Round4: bansa [Law]/Peace/Finesse vs charnel_mouse [Balance]/Blood/Strength
  3. [XCAFS20] Round4: dwarddd MonoPurple vs Bomber678 [Bashing]/Discipline/Fire
  4. [XCAFS20] Round4: EricF [Past]/Peace/Truth vs James MonoBlue
  5. [XCAFS20] Round4: Nekoatl [Growth]/Strength/Truth vs FrozenStorm [Bashing]/Discipline/Ninjutsu
  6. CarpeGuitarrem (bye / possibly eliminated)
1 Like

i’ve gotten 3 P1 in a row, is that accurate?

1 Like

Yes; you have played the only 2-1 (in record) players that have 1/2 P1/P2 splits (bansa and dwarddd), so someone of you & CN was going to have a third P1 game, and you rolled higher (matching you with charnel caused other rematches down the chain)

I’ll do my best to force you on P2 next round, don’t worry XD

1 Like

When I was doing pairings, the macro did not even look at how many P1 starts players had until the pairings were all done. Then it would assign P1 to whichever of the two players had fewer P1 starts (or random if they were tied).
It all balances out eventually, unless you get eliminated early.

1 Like

This is how I did it, as well, though I did it manually, its the same idea.

1 Like

Yea I’m prioritizing (manually):

1. No rematches
  2. Closest in W-L record (randomizer for ties)
  3. Flip-flop for p1/p2 (to make as even as possible)

Was trying to keep as consistent as possible w/ the bar y’all set :slight_smile: With only 11 players though there’s no perfect “everyone is same W-L and totally even P1/2 splits” :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I think what ericf was saying was to instead of looking at the p1/p2 split, just prioritize making the p1 person the one that has gone 1st less often. But to your point, in this case we had both gone 1st twice, so it was just a coin toss.

1 Like

A question regarding a card I want to use in my current game against Bomber which reveals information just in the asking

not for Bomber

If I have two sentries will they be able to block different damages or do they both jump to block the same point of dmg?
Now I think about it, I think they may just block the same dmg but I could also buy that once one sentry is blocking a particular point of dmg it is no longer “damage … that would be dealt to one of your patrollers”
I don’t know what Bomber would specifically do with the information that there’s a slightly higher chance of me having teched two sentries but it’s a tourney so I’m cagey xd

Also not for Bomber

Since it’s active player’s choice, it’s highly likely that your opponent would choose to have your Sentries block the same damage, unless they have a reason to reduce the damage dealt.

Still not for Bomber

It depends on whether the choice of damage is made when Sentry’s ability enters the queue or resolves. If the former, active player could choose the same point of damage for both and the second would fizzle. If the latter, the first ability would prevent one point of damage, and that point of damage would no longer exist when the second ability resolved, so it would only be able to choose from any other points of damage done at the same time (if any). If I were designing the ability, I’d want it to work like the latter.

Unrelated issue: Dreamscape originally didn’t affect tech III units, but the rework changes the behavior from “all units” (which it never was) to “up to 5 units” (not limited by tech level). This raises the question, can the reworked Dreamscape make tech III units Illusions?