[Tournament] Lum's Long Odds - Ongoing!

Looks like Hobusu is missing from the list.

1 Like

A lot of that is me. Jaina is my Valerie counterpick and I’m 11-4 in that matchup.

3 Likes

Jaina beats Valerie by spamming reversals. Val really wants to land a normal attack, and it’s hard when the character you’re playing against can spam them at you or power up for them. Also Valerie has pretty weak dodge followup (pretty much just J+ or A) so she doesn’t get to heavily punish Jaina when she dodges (and probably took some damage from 10*, too).

Tough matchup for Val.

3 Likes

FYI: Because match pairings in the Swiss Format are dependent on all of the previous weeks results, I’ll be enforcing the match play deadlines (unlike IYL where I was able to give extensions).

FaceOnMars vs. @thehug0naut
19.0 > 5.0

:lum: :psfist: :pschip: :midori:
:lum: :pschip: :psfist: :midori:
:lum: :psfist: :pschip: :midori:
:lum: :psfist: :pschip: :rook:
:lum: :psfist: :pschip: :rook:

Very enjoyable set but then again it’s always nice to win. He will want to blame me for making him drink a beer but do not be fooled. It was already in his hand.

Please double check my points. TY

6 Likes

Really fun match dude.

Particularly that first Lum v Rook match when I powered up for CMB on turn 4 and then milked it for most of the game. Unfortunately (for me) you did not choose to be hit by it when I decided to play it.

Also I think the points are 19-5 since you need to invert the listed matchup numbers to get the points for beating Rook, unless I messed up how to read the chart above.

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying the point system but this brings up my confusion.

As I understand it, on the left side of the chart is the “me”. On the bottom of the chart is the “not me”. So if I select my character on the left and scroll over to the right, that should be how many points I get. As in @vengefulpickle 's example with “me” playing and winning Lum against Grave for 6 points.

It wouldn’t be the first time I’ve missed the obvious. Please advise.

As an extreme example, Jaina vs Geiger is a roughly 2-8 matchup according to the historical chart. The rules state that the disadvantaged character should win more points if they win than the advantaged character would. Therefore, if you look at the points chart above and see the Jaina-Geiger MU, the 2.0 shown there indicates how many points you stand to give your opponent if you lose. Subtracting that from a full 10 gives the number of points you could win.

Edit: You seem to have got @vengefulpickle’s example backward anyway…

2 Likes

Not a problem to explain.

I think the key thing to note here is that @vengefulpickle’s example has Grave winning 6 points if he beats Lum and Lum getting 4 if he beats Grave. Sounds like maybe you just misread the example?

Edit: @hobusu beat me to it lol

2 Likes

OK thanks for the clarification and I will now be reading @vengefulpickle’s chart as if I’m the opponent. I think that will correct any miscalculations in the future. I’ve changed my original post. Thx

The obvious has been missed yet again!

2 Likes

Yeah, to find your odds of winning, pick your character for the row and your opponents as the column. Too find your points, do the opposite.

2 Likes

R1, @GutterOwl vs. variable:

:persephone::pschip::psfist::chibiquince:: I went for a gimmick, & didn’t follow through!

:persephone::pschip::psfist::chibiquince:

:persephone::pschip::psfist::chibiquince:: I think I got Mistress’s Commanded in this game and the last game, if not all three! Luckily, not too much harm was possible to do!

:onimaru::pschip::psfist::chibiquince:: This game was looking really good, but my lack of willingness to dodge (I thought that the threat was throw.) caused me to get 5-poked at least twice! I also got thrown a bit, but at the point Quince’s washing machine stopped spinning, GutterOwl couldn’t make many mistakes! :crying_cat_face: I made some weird choices with some Truths, but I closed it out nonetheless!

:chibipersephone::psfist::pschip::quince:: I played pretty badly this game! :0 I had about three opportunities to block On Your Knees, but I thought that a mixup might come EVENTUALLY, causing me to attack a bunch, instead. At the end, I thought my Joker could save me, but in retrospect the attacking probably signaled it rather obviously! GutterOwl probably knew it was there, because she dodged when gold bursting was my only way out of lethal damages!

Point distribution:

GutterOwl: 5
variable: 19

Since ye were in a hurry and I forgot to say it before… Thanks for playing, GutterOwl, and good luck in the rest of LLO! :smiley_cat:

5 Likes

Fusxfaranto vs MysticDeadman
:gwen: :psfist: :pschip: :valerie: Traitor!
:gwen: :psfist: :pschip: :gloria:
:gwen: :pschip: :psfist: :gloria:
:rook: :psfist: :pschip: :gloria:
:rook: :pschip: :psfist: :zane: The anti-counterpicks are real.

If I’ve done my math correctly, this should be 15.5 - 11.5. GGs!

4 Likes

GGs dood, this tournament is nutty.

For those curious, I joked about us playing this set exclusively as :chibigwen: vs :chibigwen:, then didn’t.

1 Like

ggs Ivan, well played!

Leontes wins 19 - 5.5 against UTRALAW

:midori::psfist::knockdown::menelker: (4.5 Leontes)
:midori::knockdown::psfist::menelker: (5.5 UTRALAW)
:jaina::psfist::knockdown::menelker: (5.5 Leontes)
:jaina::psfist::knockdown::persephone: (5.0 Leontes)
:jaina::psfist::knockdown::valerie: (4.0 Leontes)

ggs! It feels very alien to leave the :midori: vs. :menelker: matchup. I messed up game 2 bad lol; started dominant, then got my dQ J+ jokered (would have put him around 20), then I ran into a bunch of bQ and lost. I went to Jaina to try and get POINTS and also because I’ve done pretty well in the matchup in the past (4-0 against Thelo in IYL2, whaddup)

:jaina: vs. :persephone: is strange; gotta spend your 7s before they turn into guaranteed damage for Perse, and also play around Dodge/MC a lot. Got there by powering up a lot and finding my 10s.

:jaina: vs. :valerie: is miserable for Val so I applaud the effort to score points but damn I think that matchup is worse than the chart suggests.

Interesting format. I forget, does this mean that I am “1-0” in standings? Or that I have “19 points”. It’s the latter, right?

6 Likes

Yeah, it’s just the points that matter for the overall tournament ranking.

2 Likes

@vengefulpickle vs @MR75

:vendetta::pschip::psfist::grave: (0 - 4.0)
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::grave: (5.0 - 0)
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::persephone: (3.5 - 0)
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::persephone: (3.5 - 0)
:setsuki::pschip::psfist::persephone: (0 - 6.5)

Totals: 12 - 10.5

Good games, @MR75!

7 Likes

@mastrblastr correctly points out that the way the rules were written, if someone forfeited, their opponent would effectively get the worst win of the week. So, I’ve changed the rules so that they get the median of the set-winning players for the last week, rather than the median of all players.

4 Likes

Just finished my match with the gentleman @CKR

:quince::pschip::psfist::grave: 0-6
A straight killing from CKR, I do my second layer yomi on three turns where I should have dodged, but instead I eat about 60 life.
:persephone::psfist::pschip::grave: 4-0
A perfect to make myself feel better
:persephone::pschip::psfist::geiger: 0-5.5
A beating reminiscent of the first game, where he ends up making me eat all my own blocks and then cycloid me when I am KD
:quince::psfist::pschip::geiger: 6-0
Aggro Quince works out in my favor!
:quince::psfist::pschip::setsuki: 4.5-0
A 50/50 on the last turn, and Consent was given by the people to eek out lethal!

Me - CKR
14.5 - 11.5

I think that is correct scoring?

6 Likes