[Tournament] Codex Asynchronous suMmer Swiss (CAMS) 2022

All right everyone, thank you for your patience! We are now ready to proceed to round 4. We say goodbye to @Bryce_The_Rice, whose game provoked some really interesting discussion around our nerfs to Pirate Gunship. I encourage everyone to check his game with Penatronic out

GL HF to everyone in the next round!

CAMS2022 Round 4

1. [CAMS22] Round4: P1 zango [Fire]/Demonology/Peace :medal_sports: vs :knockdown: P2 FrozenStorm [Demonology/Necromancy]/Finesse
  2. [CAMS22] Round4: P1 Penatronic [Finesse]/Disease/Necromancy :medal_sports: vs :knockdown: P2 charnel_mouse [Balance]/Blood/Strength
  3. [CAMS22] Round4: P1 OffKilter [Bashing]/Balance/Demonology :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 zhavier [Necromancy]/Blood/Truth
  4. [CAMS22] Round4: P1 Dreamfire [Present]/Peace/Discipline :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 Shadow_Night_Black Mono Purple
2 Likes

Apologies to everyone for causing such a big delay.

1 Like

It happens @zhavier. TY for the apology and everyone, please give a heads up if you know you’ll be more than 48 hours away from your game. The tourney schedule does expect a pace of play of roughly one turn per day.

With that, we say goodbye to Offkilter and Dreamfire, GGs to you both!

Round 5 looks like a banger, GL HF all!

CAMS22 Round 5

1. [CAMS22] Round5: P1 zango [Fire]/Demonology/Peace :medal_sports: vs :knockdown: P2 Penatronic [Finesse]/Disease/Necromancy
  2. [CAMS22] Round5: P1 zhavier [Necromancy]/Blood/Truth :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 FrozenStorm [Demonology/Necromancy]/Finesse
  3. [CAMS22] Round5: P1 Shadow_Night_Black Mono Purple :medal_sports: vs :knockdown: :skull_and_crossbones: P2 charnel_mouse [Balance]/Blood/Strength
2 Likes

And with that we say so long to @charnel_mouse , thanks for joining!

Round 6 here has a bit of an odd situation; we’d normally be giving the bye to a player with two losses, but all players remaining with two losses have already had a bye. Therefore, the bye has been deferred to me by the pairing algo and we will have either 3 or 4 players left after this round. SNB continuing his streak of making mono purple competitive, while Pena continues the rune party & zhav tests the mirrorbarrow black against Zango’s Vandy Lobber Peace engine. Should be two matches to watch, GL HF everyone!

CAMS22 Round 6

1. [CAMS22] Round6: P1 zhavier [Necromancy]/Blood/Truth :knockdown: :skull_and_crossbones: vs :medal_sports: P2 zango [Fire]/Demonology/Peace
  2. [CAMS22] Round6: P1 Penatronic [Finesse]/Disease/Necromancy :medal_sports: vs :knockdown: :skull_and_crossbones: P2 Shadow_Night_Black Mono Purple
    FrozenStorm has the bye
3 Likes

GG WP to @zhavier and @Shadow_Night_Black , who ICMYI played TWO Double Times and had them complete! Pretty fun to see.

As the only player without a bye, Zango will have it this round despite being on no losses. Vandy + Lobbers + Peace on the balance patch definitely has a Miracle Grow inevitability feeling to it, we shall see if Pena or I can pull off a massive comeback!

Pena I am on vacation and will likely start our game tonight once everyone’s fallen asleep. GL HF!

CAMS22 Round 7

1. [CAMS22] Round7: P1 FrozenStorm [Demonology/Necromancy]/Finesse :medal_sports: vs :knockdown: :skull_and_crossbones: :3rd_place_medal: P2 Penatronic [Finesse]/Disease/Necromancy
4 Likes

And then there were two :crossed_swords:

GG WP to @Penatronic whose Neutral + Disease game was clever and fun to spectate.

We now begin what could be up to a 4 game finals and at least 2 games, with myself on 1 loss and @zango yet to be defeated. We need a name for this Lobber-fueled Peace and Dark Pact machine, nominations welcome! Red vs Blue Nightmare is a terrible name so think of something better :slight_smile:

1. [CAMS22] Round8 FINALS pt1: P1 FrozenStorm [Demonology/Necromancy]/Finesse vs P2 zango [Fire]/Demonology/Peace
4 Likes

It’s the creation of @Moby_Dick , so I hope he can come up with a good name.
The deck definitely feels incredibly strong, but it’s a bit too one dimensional compared to the other decks with names for my liking…

1 Like

Thanks I am honored. It was my goal for this game to find something that can compete with Nightmare and receives a name. When we win the final, I think it can even deal as P1 with the old nightmare. As P2 and det with 0g should be very difficult. And thanks @zango for the excellent play! Although I know you don’t really like the deck because it does not allow complex turns. Now I think this is the best peace engine version, so I will not look further in that direction.

But I would not agree that it is too one dimensional compared to the other ones. There are other possibilities in it as well. Oni is arguably the best meta target and you could fight token decks with fire tech2. They are weaker strategies and would only fit in special situations when fighting e.g. assimilate. But it is the same with the other decks with names. There is one strategy superior and when fighting a deck with a similar strong strategy you cannot deviate. Nightmare Vandy into Finesse tech2, miracle growth Rook via GPT into Growth tech2…

Let’s decide a name after the finals. If it wins we can find a name. I am not so good either in finding names, so a more creative person might come up with better ideas.

Since the deck is about Vandy preparing with fire the deadly strike via peace tech 2 I am thinking of the following: Deadly Hot Queen :wink:

Or if you want something shorter: Burning Beast

Proof that the idea of nerfing battle suits was entirely the wrong direction for taking the edge off flagstone garrison/drill sgt.

1 Like

Where is a proof?

A tech 0 card, that gives all your units in the deck +1, cost only 2 gold, is almost unremoveable and thins your deck. Sorry that is just wrong. Compare it with other cards that give +1 ATK at which tech level you find it and how the costs are. That deck was just utilizing the aspect that cadets are soldiers. And a 3/2 card for 0g is too strong. In general I think purple starter is not a good fit for garrison at all. There are definetely better ones.

Check the games carefully, the strength of the deck is not the garrison/d.s. That is just the best way to finish the game. It is not better than Finesse tech 2, present tech 2 and some other. The games are already decided before that. Do you think it is an accident that the only 2 bulky heros are in the final?

1 Like

I think we cannot speak of any proof so far. If I take just take the fact, that the famous purple peace deck, played by one of the best Codex players could not come in the top 6, just due to a change on a tech 0 card, it will seem difficult to conclude garrison/ds is too strong. If the final would be garrison vs garrison, yes I would agree.

Another discussion is, that due to the history a lot of people like purple peace and the nerf on battle suit was too hard, like @zhavier mentioned.

Now there is another garrison/ds deck which need some nerf, yes. But here are several things coming together, which makes it strong. And I still don’t believe it is the garrison. But @Penatronic please proof me wrong in the next tournament. Create a garrison/ds deck, without Vandy and fire, that wins the tournament. I will defenitely test something else, which I think is more the root cause.

The proof is that in this tournament purple has been entirely unnecessary for peace to be strong. Nerfing a purple starter card is a nerf to a specific combination, but not the reason that combination is problematic.

Nobody is playing battle suits and cadet and winning any games without garrison or garrison and sergeant. Those are the cards that actually make it broken.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t go that far. Peace has always been a spec that quickly gets out of control at Tech II if you don’t have a deck that can deal with it, or it happens to have a good first Garrison draw, but falls apart otherwise. That means adding specs that help to accelerate its growth have a disproportionate effect, so it’s a tricky one to balance for in multicolour. Adding cheap Tech I units from any colour to the mix is going to accelerate it well, and make Peace a very strong choice; Purple’s Seers and free Knights of the Conclave are just the most egregious example, and Battle Suits buffs all of the relevant units.

2 Likes

Interesting theory, so no one will win a game with bs cadet and without garrison? I have no experience with purple, but I would like to try it. Are you open for some test matches to prove your theory?

I guess that should have been phrased “winning competitive games” I’m sure you could win a game vs some random pile I will come up with, but nobody playing Peace in tournaments isn’t teching Garrison and Drill Sgt.

Well in my game against shadow my original plan was to play Sergeants without Garrison due to the fear of assimilate. It was only due to his future tech 2 choice and me being able to float a ton that I teched a garrison…
And I second Moby with regards to the BS nerf. Due to the BS nerf Dreamfire wasn’t able to do much harm with purple peace. Garrison itself didn’t do any good for him because due to the BS nerf he didn’t come to the point of being able to use it. And I too think BS is overpowered.
In my eyes my burning peace queen deck (or however you want to call it) is a new archetype that has only shares the peace engine with the old tier 1 PPA. PPA was all about stalling and then smashing your opponent with either gunships or the peace engine after being left alone long enough. This deck is all about aggression right from the start.
Did we aim for neglecting players the possibility to use garrison as a win condition? Didn’t think so, I thought we aimed for taking the top notch of the tier 1 decks. This we definitely achieved with the BS nerf. Should we aim for neglecting the garrison win con? Maybe, as it is a pretty stupid and boring way to play this game. But first I have to prove that this deck really is able to complete against (nerfed) nightmare. Having won a single game against frozen doesn’t prove that much and his perfect start now really provides headaches for me now :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Cool, competetive deck is fine for me. Let’s find out if cadet is worth his gold :wink:

It should not be another overpowered deck, so no deck with a name. I would go 2nd in the first game, if that is ok for you.

Starting to look dicey for Zango dropping a game, I’m down to my last life!

CAMS22 Round9 FINALS pt2

1. [CAMS22] Round9 FINALS pt2: P1 zango [Fire]/Demonology/Peace vs P2 FrozenStorm [Demonology/Necromancy]/Finesse
2 Likes

OK, now I think the deck has deserved a name, before it gets nerfed. Although P2 against Nighmare was a bit special. Thanks @zango for the great moves. We thought about a name and come with two suggestions, please vote or come up with another name.

• Fire Water Burn
  • Burning Blue Queen - BBQ

0 voters

1 Like