[Tournament] Codex Asynchronous suMmer Swiss 2023 (CAMS23)

hm

guess I’ll play

[Necromancy]/Blood/Truth

2 Likes

I’ll try Troq too. [Past/Present]/Bashing.

2 Likes

I am playing down my ranking, what I think are the strongest decks (excluding decks which already won the tournament, ideally never played). Last time burning legion, now the second best one. A brighter version of nightmare, [Finese]/Demon/Necro. I think it will be a good reference for Troq.

1 Like

“mono purple”
[Finesse/Bashing]/Present

4 Likes

Now let the almost monocolor madness begin :wink:
I know I’m a bit early, but as I will not spoil hidden information, posting the round half a day early should be fine.

Now let the games begin and may the odds be ever in your favor.

Round 1:

1. [CAMS23] Round1: P1 Bryce_the_Rice [Necromancy]/Blood/Truth :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 dwarddd monopurple
  2. [CAMS23] Round1: P1 Moby_Dick [Finesse]/Demonology/Necromancy :medal_sports: vs :knockdown: P2 Dreamfire [Past/Present]/Bashing
  3. [CAMS23] Round1: P1 cstick [Finesse/Bashing]/Present :medal_sports: vs :knockdown: P2 FrozenStorm [Bashing]/Balance/Growth

As we only have 6 participants so far, I plan to shift the modus operandi to a round robin, so that everybody plays against everybody else. The same holds true if we get one more participant, with 8 players or even more I would stick to the original game plan.
After those 5 rounds (or 7 rounds in case of one more participant) I would jump into semi finals (1st vs 4th & 2nd vs 3rd) and the finals with a single elimination round. In those final three games the better seeded player gets to decide whether he wants to be P1 or P2 (or coin flip in case there is no difference between the two).
In case there is no easy line to draw between 4th and 5th player, we might need to introduce some kind of quarter finals, but we’ll cross that bridge once we get there.
You have time until the end of round 1 to voice your opinion on that rule change. In case we get 2 vetos, we’ll stick to the normal 3 strike ruling for this tournament.

2 Likes

Thanks @zango good proposal with round robin, that everybody gets enough games! I would vote for 3 strike rule after round robin. It would be a pity if you have a whiff in finals or semi finals and e.g. lose the tournament with just 1 loss in total.

2 Likes

I don’t mind doing RR and Single Elim but I’d be fine w/ maybe a cut to 4 after RR and then double elim after. Or @Moby_Dick is what you’re suggesting to carry over the RR W/L for the 3 strikes? Like if after RR play, 4th has 2 Ls, they have next loss out, but 1st with no losses is on triple match point?

I am happy with all solutions besides single elimination: Double elimination, tribble elimination or including the losses from before. If I come to the finals I don’t want to be eliminated due to a bad draw and get another chance. If I don’t get to the finals, I have more games to watch.

With 6 people, a cut to semis seems too shallow. The whole round robin portion won’t actually matter much outside of staying out of the bottom 2. I think it makes more sense to cut straight to finals (single elim or Bo3). Resolving tiebreaks between 2nd and 3rd could be a problem, though. Maybe if they have an even record, they play a tiebreaker, then advance to finals vs the winner of the round robin.

actually I like the idea of round robin and then a final series best of three. In case there is no clear line to draw between 2nd and 3rd player, we can include an extra step for identifying the worthy finalists.

3 Likes

Round 1 is completed. I didn’t hear any objections against round robin followed by a final series best of three (better seeded player gets to decide what side to play in the first match; if it is unclear from the standings who the two finalists should be, we have to do some extra step)

And here comes round two:

1. [CAMS23] Round2: P1 dwarddd monopurple :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 cstick [Finesse/Bashing]/Present
  2. [CAMS23] Round2: P1 FrozenStorm [Bashing]/Balance/Growth :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 Moby_Dick [Finesse]/Demonology/Necromancy
  3. [CAMS23] Round2: P1 Dreamfire [Past/Present]/Bashing :medal_sports: vs :knockdown: P2 Bryce_the_Rice [Necromancy]/Blood/Truth

Please remember to denote the rule changes for later spectators at the beginning of each thread. Thank you.

Now go out there and have some fun!

3 Likes

Now there have been some intense games, it’s really been fun to watch as a spectator. Thank you!

Round 3:

1. [CAMS23] Round3: P1 Bryce_the_Rice [Necromancy]/Blood/Truth :medal_sports: vs :knockdown: P2 cstick [Finesse/Bashing]/Present
  2. [CAMS23] Round3: P1 Dreamfire [Past/Present]/Bashing :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 FrozenStorm [Bashing]/Balance/Growth
  3. [CAMS23] Round3: P1 dwarddd monopurple :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 Moby_Dick [Finesse]/Demonology/Necromancy

I hope you all have a lot of fun with the games, also please remember to type out or to link the balance changes for later spectators.

2 Likes

And that sums up round three.

Standings after 3/5 of our round robin
@Moby_Dick :medal_sports: :medal_sports: :medal_sports:
@cstick :medal_sports: :medal_sports: :knockdown:
@dwarddd :medal_sports: :knockdown: :knockdown:
@Dreamfire :knockdown: :medal_sports: :knockdown:
@FrozenStorm :knockdown: :knockdown: :medal_sports:
@Bryce_The_Rice :knockdown: :knockdown: :medal_sports:

So everything is still in the open.

Round 4 now reads:

1. [CAMS23] Round4: P1 cstick [Finesse/Bashing]/Present :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 Moby_Dick [Finesse]/Demonology/Necromancy
  2. [CAMS23] Round4: P1 dwarddd monopurple :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 Dreamfire [Past/Present]/Bashing
  3. [CAMS23] Round4: P1 FrozenStorm [Bashing]/Balance/Growth :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 Bryce_the_Rice [Necromancy]/Blood/Truth
1 Like
Standings after 4/5 of our round robin
@Moby_Dick :medal_sports: :medal_sports: :medal_sports: :medal_sports:
@cstick :medal_sports: :medal_sports: :knockdown: :knockdown:
@Dreamfire :knockdown: :medal_sports: :knockdown: :medal_sports:
@Bryce_The_Rice :knockdown: :knockdown: :medal_sports: :medal_sports:
@FrozenStorm :knockdown: :knockdown: :medal_sports: :knockdown:
@dwarddd :medal_sports: :knockdown: :knockdown: :knockdown:

Here comes the final round robin round :wink:

1. [CAMS23] Round5: P1 Moby_Dick [Finesse]/Demonology/Necromancy :medal_sports: vs :knockdown: :skull_and_crossbones: P2 Bryce_the_Rice [Necromancy]/Blood/Truth
  2. [CAMS23] Round5: P1 Dreamfire [Past/Present]/Bashing :medal_sports: vs :knockdown: :skull_and_crossbones: P2 cstick [Finesse/Bashing]/Present
  3. [CAMS23] Round5: P1 FrozenStorm [Bashing]/Balance/Growth :knockdown: :skull_and_crossbones: vs :medal_sports: :skull_and_crossbones: P2 dwarddd monopurple

So moby has his place in the Finals already secured and the winner of dreamfire vs cstick is either directly qualified or has to do a quaylifier against bryce.
In case there is a qualifier required I suggest a single elimination game with P1/P2 switched in comparison to the game that the two played within the round robin. But I don’t have a strong opinion on that, so if you prefer something else, feel free to voice it.

2 Likes

Concur.

10char

Final standings after our round robin
@Moby_Dick :medal_sports: :medal_sports: :medal_sports: :medal_sports: :medal_sports:
@Dreamfire :knockdown: :medal_sports: :knockdown: :medal_sports: :medal_sports:
@cstick :medal_sports: :medal_sports: :knockdown: :knockdown: :knockdown:
@dwarddd :medal_sports: :knockdown: :knockdown: :knockdown: :medal_sports:
@Bryce_The_Rice :knockdown: :knockdown: :medal_sports: :medal_sports: :knockdown:
@FrozenStorm :knockdown: :knockdown: :medal_sports: :knockdown: :knockdown:

I hope you all enjoyed your games.

The Finals will be @Moby_Dick vs @Dreamfire
Congrats to Moby for again having an undefeated streak, congrats to dreamfire for pulling off a great comeback. Until after round 3 I was convinced of a different pairing in the finals…

Moby: please pick your preferred side to start the final series best of three

2 Likes

@Dreamfire I would like to start as p2.

I think it does not really matter. Purple starter prefers p2 my deck is stronger as p1. Against purple I cannot have a really bad split as p2.

Against mono I would have probaby taken p1 to avoid the omega threat in p1 turn6&7.

And herewith we start with the FINALS. As agreed upon beforehand it’s a series best of three, Moby got to pick sides as he has the better seed.
Please use a new thread for each game.

Please enjoy and may the odds be ever in your favor

1. [CAMS23] FINALS part 1: P1 Dreamfire [Past/Present]/Bashing :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 Moby_Dick [Finesse]/Demonology/Necromancy
  2. [CAMS23] FINALS part 2: P1 Moby_Dick [Finesse]/Demonology/Necromancy :medal_sports: :1st_place_medal: vs :knockdown: :2nd_place_medal: P2 Dreamfire [Past/Present]/Bashing
1 Like

Congratulations to @Moby_Dick for his second flawless tournament victory in a row.

And yes, I completely second that we should further nerf this strategy, whether it’s the classic nightmare or Moby’s nightmare version.
Probably a nerf to maestro or to the insane amount of card draw available should be fine. But we should probably do this discussion here: Balance Patch 2.1

2 Likes

Thanks for the organization @zango !

But this one as well as Burning Legion were overpowered. But they are the only ones I am aware of. I have some very good ones, which have never been played on a tournament or never with the strategy I have in mind. But as far as I can tell, they are OK.

If I had known that this is too strong, I would have not taken it. It is weaker than burning legion but still op. Since zango has beaten it with one of the other ones in a test match I thought it would be OK.

1 Like