[Tournament] Codex Asynchronous suMmer Swiss 2023 (CAMS23)

Thanks @zango good proposal with round robin, that everybody gets enough games! I would vote for 3 strike rule after round robin. It would be a pity if you have a whiff in finals or semi finals and e.g. lose the tournament with just 1 loss in total.

2 Likes

I don’t mind doing RR and Single Elim but I’d be fine w/ maybe a cut to 4 after RR and then double elim after. Or @Moby_Dick is what you’re suggesting to carry over the RR W/L for the 3 strikes? Like if after RR play, 4th has 2 Ls, they have next loss out, but 1st with no losses is on triple match point?

I am happy with all solutions besides single elimination: Double elimination, tribble elimination or including the losses from before. If I come to the finals I don’t want to be eliminated due to a bad draw and get another chance. If I don’t get to the finals, I have more games to watch.

With 6 people, a cut to semis seems too shallow. The whole round robin portion won’t actually matter much outside of staying out of the bottom 2. I think it makes more sense to cut straight to finals (single elim or Bo3). Resolving tiebreaks between 2nd and 3rd could be a problem, though. Maybe if they have an even record, they play a tiebreaker, then advance to finals vs the winner of the round robin.

actually I like the idea of round robin and then a final series best of three. In case there is no clear line to draw between 2nd and 3rd player, we can include an extra step for identifying the worthy finalists.

3 Likes

Round 1 is completed. I didn’t hear any objections against round robin followed by a final series best of three (better seeded player gets to decide what side to play in the first match; if it is unclear from the standings who the two finalists should be, we have to do some extra step)

And here comes round two:

1. [CAMS23] Round2: P1 dwarddd monopurple :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 cstick [Finesse/Bashing]/Present
  2. [CAMS23] Round2: P1 FrozenStorm [Bashing]/Balance/Growth :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 Moby_Dick [Finesse]/Demonology/Necromancy
  3. [CAMS23] Round2: P1 Dreamfire [Past/Present]/Bashing :medal_sports: vs :knockdown: P2 Bryce_the_Rice [Necromancy]/Blood/Truth

Please remember to denote the rule changes for later spectators at the beginning of each thread. Thank you.

Now go out there and have some fun!

3 Likes

Now there have been some intense games, it’s really been fun to watch as a spectator. Thank you!

Round 3:

1. [CAMS23] Round3: P1 Bryce_the_Rice [Necromancy]/Blood/Truth :medal_sports: vs :knockdown: P2 cstick [Finesse/Bashing]/Present
  2. [CAMS23] Round3: P1 Dreamfire [Past/Present]/Bashing :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 FrozenStorm [Bashing]/Balance/Growth
  3. [CAMS23] Round3: P1 dwarddd monopurple :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 Moby_Dick [Finesse]/Demonology/Necromancy

I hope you all have a lot of fun with the games, also please remember to type out or to link the balance changes for later spectators.

2 Likes

And that sums up round three.

Standings after 3/5 of our round robin
@Moby_Dick :medal_sports: :medal_sports: :medal_sports:
@cstick :medal_sports: :medal_sports: :knockdown:
@dwarddd :medal_sports: :knockdown: :knockdown:
@Dreamfire :knockdown: :medal_sports: :knockdown:
@FrozenStorm :knockdown: :knockdown: :medal_sports:
@Bryce_The_Rice :knockdown: :knockdown: :medal_sports:

So everything is still in the open.

Round 4 now reads:

1. [CAMS23] Round4: P1 cstick [Finesse/Bashing]/Present :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 Moby_Dick [Finesse]/Demonology/Necromancy
  2. [CAMS23] Round4: P1 dwarddd monopurple :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 Dreamfire [Past/Present]/Bashing
  3. [CAMS23] Round4: P1 FrozenStorm [Bashing]/Balance/Growth :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 Bryce_the_Rice [Necromancy]/Blood/Truth
1 Like
Standings after 4/5 of our round robin
@Moby_Dick :medal_sports: :medal_sports: :medal_sports: :medal_sports:
@cstick :medal_sports: :medal_sports: :knockdown: :knockdown:
@Dreamfire :knockdown: :medal_sports: :knockdown: :medal_sports:
@Bryce_The_Rice :knockdown: :knockdown: :medal_sports: :medal_sports:
@FrozenStorm :knockdown: :knockdown: :medal_sports: :knockdown:
@dwarddd :medal_sports: :knockdown: :knockdown: :knockdown:

Here comes the final round robin round :wink:

1. [CAMS23] Round5: P1 Moby_Dick [Finesse]/Demonology/Necromancy :medal_sports: vs :knockdown: :skull_and_crossbones: P2 Bryce_the_Rice [Necromancy]/Blood/Truth
  2. [CAMS23] Round5: P1 Dreamfire [Past/Present]/Bashing :medal_sports: vs :knockdown: :skull_and_crossbones: P2 cstick [Finesse/Bashing]/Present
  3. [CAMS23] Round5: P1 FrozenStorm [Bashing]/Balance/Growth :knockdown: :skull_and_crossbones: vs :medal_sports: :skull_and_crossbones: P2 dwarddd monopurple

So moby has his place in the Finals already secured and the winner of dreamfire vs cstick is either directly qualified or has to do a quaylifier against bryce.
In case there is a qualifier required I suggest a single elimination game with P1/P2 switched in comparison to the game that the two played within the round robin. But I don’t have a strong opinion on that, so if you prefer something else, feel free to voice it.

2 Likes

Concur.

10char

Final standings after our round robin
@Moby_Dick :medal_sports: :medal_sports: :medal_sports: :medal_sports: :medal_sports:
@Dreamfire :knockdown: :medal_sports: :knockdown: :medal_sports: :medal_sports:
@cstick :medal_sports: :medal_sports: :knockdown: :knockdown: :knockdown:
@dwarddd :medal_sports: :knockdown: :knockdown: :knockdown: :medal_sports:
@Bryce_The_Rice :knockdown: :knockdown: :medal_sports: :medal_sports: :knockdown:
@FrozenStorm :knockdown: :knockdown: :medal_sports: :knockdown: :knockdown:

I hope you all enjoyed your games.

The Finals will be @Moby_Dick vs @Dreamfire
Congrats to Moby for again having an undefeated streak, congrats to dreamfire for pulling off a great comeback. Until after round 3 I was convinced of a different pairing in the finals…

Moby: please pick your preferred side to start the final series best of three

2 Likes

@Dreamfire I would like to start as p2.

I think it does not really matter. Purple starter prefers p2 my deck is stronger as p1. Against purple I cannot have a really bad split as p2.

Against mono I would have probaby taken p1 to avoid the omega threat in p1 turn6&7.

And herewith we start with the FINALS. As agreed upon beforehand it’s a series best of three, Moby got to pick sides as he has the better seed.
Please use a new thread for each game.

Please enjoy and may the odds be ever in your favor

1. [CAMS23] FINALS part 1: P1 Dreamfire [Past/Present]/Bashing :knockdown: vs :medal_sports: P2 Moby_Dick [Finesse]/Demonology/Necromancy
  2. [CAMS23] FINALS part 2: P1 Moby_Dick [Finesse]/Demonology/Necromancy :medal_sports: :1st_place_medal: vs :knockdown: :2nd_place_medal: P2 Dreamfire [Past/Present]/Bashing
1 Like

Congratulations to @Moby_Dick for his second flawless tournament victory in a row.

And yes, I completely second that we should further nerf this strategy, whether it’s the classic nightmare or Moby’s nightmare version.
Probably a nerf to maestro or to the insane amount of card draw available should be fine. But we should probably do this discussion here: Balance Patch 2.1

2 Likes

Thanks for the organization @zango !

But this one as well as Burning Legion were overpowered. But they are the only ones I am aware of. I have some very good ones, which have never been played on a tournament or never with the strategy I have in mind. But as far as I can tell, they are OK.

If I had known that this is too strong, I would have not taken it. It is weaker than burning legion but still op. Since zango has beaten it with one of the other ones in a test match I thought it would be OK.

1 Like