Tabletop simulator

I am just lurking for the time being. I will have much more free time after a month.

@dozenal Hi, I’m looking for more EU players and thought you might be interested. If you are just join the discord channel above. Cheers!

@shamusj
Looks like our TTS community is more active than I expected. If we have just few more people we could even try 2 vs 2 team matches .

Or FFA’s, they are always fun.

1 Like

Hello all. I’m interested in playing Codex, anyway possible. Love the game and also want to promote it more. Just signed up to the forums and looking to get more active. I didn’t follow all the lingo above (steam ? . TTS I understood but I haven’t paid the $ to subscribe and not sure if I will yet). Let me know how I could get involved. I’m on EST time. Weekday nights and some weekends I am more available.
Cheers!

Steam is Valve’s online gaming platform, used for both purchasing and matchmaking a huge variety of PC games. (Mac, too? I dunno, I don’t use either.)

Steam is definitely available for Mac, though not all games on Steam support it.

@Andreas, just so you’re aware, Tabletop Simulator doesn’t have a subscription as far as I know. You might be confusing it with Tabletopia, which does use a subscription model (and has Codex available if you’re subscribed). If I understand TTS, you pay once to get the software, and none of that cost goes to the developers of the games people play on it. I could be wrong, since I haven’t used it myself, but I believe Sirlin requested that a publicly available Codex module for TTS be removed around the time Codex launched because it could reduce sales of actual Codex products (and Sirlin Games is a small enough company that it can’t afford to have that happen).

Thanks @ARMed_PIrate for the info.

Thanks @Hobusu for elaborating on TTS. I wasn’t aware of it, and thought of Tabletopia instead. Is TTS used? Is it something worth pursuing ?

Yes! Go for it

yes, absolutely

Tabletop Simulator was considered as the official platform for online Codex, but was rejected because they demand a cut of the sales that is way above the norm. They make it very easy to play bootleg versions though, and personally I have trouble avoiding the conclusion that these two things are related. People seem to like TTS because they prefer its interface to Tabletopia’s, which is a much younger product, and of course because you get to avoid paying Sirlin Games anything.

If you’re comfortable with the above, it sounds like playing on it would be pretty nice.

2 Likes

Send me new invite to discord server. I had technical issues and left server to resolve it

Edit: got one

If you play on Tabletop Simulator, I would recommend getting at least the Print and Play of the deluxe set, such that you’re still supporting Sirlin Games, as without them, we would not have the amazing Game that is Codex, Yomi or any other games they come out with.

3 Likes

i bought deluxe codex with the kickstarter, just need a way to play codex without bleeding money for a sub par interface

3 Likes

I disagree with this statement. People who like paper version like to play online, because they cannot get enough of it (and for diversity of opponents, and for play at times that would be weird for live opponents, and (with rules-enforced implementations) convenience of not having to twiddle bits). Some people who play an online version eventually like it enough to buy the paper version to introduce to friends etc. I find it weird to concentrate only on the negative side of the online play (that some people are content with playing online without paying anything) while ignoring the positives (wider reach of the game, which leads to more sales).

I’ve been running an online adaptation of another game, and people told me they bought boxes because of it. Boardgamearena (a site with many adaptations) ran a poll a while back, which has shown that it’s not isolated incidents, but in fact a sizeable number of people buy paper versions of games because they tried a game online first.

Claiming that the primary reason people play online boardgames is to avoid paying, and that it leads to financial losses of the publisher, is plain wrong.

4 Likes

Being “the primary reason” is your words, not mine. I presented it as the second one of two reasons in my post, and I don’t see how you could argue that it isn’t one at all when directly above your own post Legion is explicitly saying he prefers not having to pay.

The rest of your post seems to be solely about why people want to play online in the first place, and I don’t see what it has to do with me talking about why people would want to use one online implementation over another.

1 Like

i never said that, i just meant that having bought the deluxe version of codex, i consider having supported SG, that i love, like i did buying PS and yomi in the physical format.
Also i meant that whenever an online rules implemented version shall be realized, i will be the fist to purchase that. My experience with TT has been crappy at best, being forcefully disconnected an avarage of 5 times in just 5 minutes. So, since no one plays it on TT (and i can hardly blame them) i chose TTS just because was a 1 time purchase and had a community playing, instead of being a money bleed.

6 Likes

This, I believe, is the heart of it. If Codex had a minimally decent online implementation - and TT doesn’t qualify - the game would have grown even larger. The regular online league of Thrones, which I played for a while, has 100-200 players every cycle. These are people who play the game online and then buy the physical copy, and keep the game alive (as much as meetups are great, the smaller the game the harder it is to sustain a local community - and Thrones is much smaller than Netrunner, X-Wing etc.). Without the online league, the game would not have the community of players that it has. Codex is so small that it’s really hard to find people to play with if you’re already getting a bit better than ‘the person you just taught the game to’ but you’re not yet good enough to have a ton fun playing in an 8 player tournament of people who are all veterans (and on the forums, no less, typing the orders and memorizing cards). So… it’s just a shame for Codex as a game that people don’t have a low-tech online way to play it (Tabletopia doesn’t count because it’s just so awful, I think it’s worse than the forums).

5 Likes

Apologies if I have misrepresented your opinion. In the context of choosing one implementation over another your analysis is spot on; it’s just that the wider context of people playing online boardgames is dear to me, and your “of course” allowed me to jump on this topic.

I don’t think you have. I think the claim that people who prefer one platform to another ‘because they get to avoid paying Sirlin Games anything’ is not just wrong but also insulting. Sure, I’d love to avoid paying in general but I’m happy to pay money for a worthwhile product, and I wouldn’t be here if I wanted to avoid paying Sirlin Games - I bought all of Codex piecemeal because I loved the game, and I would have subscribed to Tabletopia if it was minimally decent. I would have been much happier to subscribe to a platform directly from Sirlin Games, though I think it would be a mistake for them to do that. In any case, sure that some people prefer TTS because you pay less (you still have to buy it) but it’s not because they want to avoid paying Sirlin Games, it’s because they want to avoid paying for a terrible product (Tabletopia) and there’s no other alternative for playing online.

4 Likes