Format is best of 7 with standard counterpicks. First pick is double blind. Only the loser of the previous game can switch characters.
Format will be a double elimination bracket, ideally with 64 players. Matches will probably start some time in June.
Each round will take one week, with deadlines at midnight Eastern time on Sundays.
Playing matches early is allowed and encouraged.
After each match, the winner should post a match report in this thread including the result and matchup of each game played. (The loser can do it too if s/he wants.)
In a matchup where the initiative/timing rule is likely to become an issue, either player may ask to play by the rulebook (player with the least health has priority).
Ties do not count toward either player’s win total. If there is a tie, play the same matchup again, and include the tie in your match report.
I will create a private conversation for each match. Please resolve scheduling of matches in those conversations, so I know who to disqualify if the deadline passes without a match being played. If you happen to run into your opponent before the match is scheduled, and you are both ready to play, try to alert me or anyone who might be able to record or stream the match before starting.
If you would be willing to record/stream some matches, alert me and I will include you in scheduling conversations.
If you sign up, please view your participation as a responsibility to myself and the other players. I realize that not all circumstances can be foreseen, but please don’t drop just because you are going on vacation or out of frustration.
Like in the first Summer Smash, entrants must choose a video game character to represent. Characters must originate from a video game, and you cannot choose someone who has already been taken. Players returning from last year are encouraged to pick a new one, but they are not required to.
The top 8 finishers from last year to sign up will be seeded (Ties broken by Summer Smash II placing). Seeded players will be placed in their own 8-player divisions of the winners bracket.
- Jengajam - Jeffrey the Skeleton (Roundabout)
- mysticjuicer - Asgore (Undertale)
- CKR - Ibuki (Street Fighter III)
- ThreeHeadedMonkey - Count Bleck (Super Paper Mario)
- Zqxx - Gundham Tanaka (DanganRonpa 2)
- Zejety - Bernard Bernouli (The Day of the Tentacle)
- neigutten - Nemesis T-Type (Resident Evil 3)
- MR75 - Zankuro (Samurai Shodown III)
- Shax - Aisha (Monster Hunter 3)
- MysticDeadman - Sombra (Overwatch)
- JonnyD - Wild Dog (Time Crisis)
- FaceOnMars - Boz (Omikron: The Nomad Soul)
- Castanietzsche - Horatio Nullbuilt (Primodrdia)
- GutterOwl - Mae Borowski (Night in the Woods)
- Bob199 - Pump (Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden)
- wowarlok - Skull Kid (The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask)
- vengefulpickle - Decker (Invisible Inc.)
- Copper8642 - The Ur-Quan Kohr-Ah (Star Control II)
- Ivan - Lara Ctoft (Tomb Raider)
- flagrantangles - Kerrigan (Starcraft)
- Hydro - Pearl (Battlerite)
- Caralad - Morgana (Persona 5)
- CarpeGuitarrem - Lord Jaraxxus (World of Warcraft)
- UTRALAW - Wonder Red (Wonderful 101)
- Attilian - Black Lotus (Bushido Blade)
- Fluffiness - Midna (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
- SouthpawHare - Boston Low (The Dig)
- migohunter - A2 (Nier: Automata)
- tcby - Karin (Street Fighter Alpha 3)
- Fivec - April Ryan (The Longest Journey)
- Leontes - Achaka (King’s Quest)
- scymrian - Sergei Dragunov (Tekken 5)
- thehug0naut - Lewton (Discworld Noir)
- variable - Purah (The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild)
- Twenty-Seven - Peach (Super Mario Bros.)
- DieMyDarling - Makoto (Persona 5)
- Fusxfaranto - Draco Centauros (Madou Monogatari 123)
- ratxt1 - Cyberdwarf (Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden)
- Phrawger - Frogger (Frogger)
- mallorean_thug - 9S (Nier: Automata)
- Izitserious - Neku Sakuraba (The World Ends with You)
- SirHandsome - Jazz Jackrabbit (Jazz Jackrabbit)
- CloudCuckooCountry - Samus (Metroid)
- ClanNatioy - POW (Metal Slug)
- Emaron - The Nameless One (Planescape: Torment)
- snoc - Leon Chameleon (Awesomenauts)