Rules Questions thread

Boost cost is not card cost. Promise of Payment affects the cost of the card, not its boost effect.

1 Like

If you have two Mimics that have flying because a THIRD unit has flying, but then that third unit dies, both your Mimics lose flying. — Sirlin

3 Likes

Well crap, that should have been easy. I’m now obviously at the point where I think I know all the card rulings by heart but obviously don’t :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can still boost a card which benefits from Promise of Payment, but you have to pay the boost cost, it doesn’t get reduced.

I have a question concerning the interaction of Judgement Day and the Technician bonus.

When exactly does the card draw from the technician bonus happen? I get that the active player chooses the order in which the units affected by Judgement Day die, but do I draw the card immediately when that unit dies or does the card draw effect go into a queue that is resolved after Judgement Day has killed all the units?
This is relevant because if I have 0 cards in my deck, when exactly I reshuffle my deck effects which cards are in my discard at that time.

Related: Does the Technician bonus happen immediately during your opponent’s turn? I know the Scavenger bonus does as you can steal a scavenged gold. But with card draw that would mean if I kill my opponent’s technician first and then play Carrion Curse or Lawful Search that would break the asynchronous nature of the game.

You don’t really get to choose the order that units die in. They all die simultaneously, you just get to choose the order they go in your discard pile. Any effects which are triggered by units dying will happen after everything has died. So all units go to the discard pile, then you draw a card.

If there are multiple effects triggered from units dying, you can choose what order to resolve those effects in.

ETA: Yes, technician draws happens immediately, and so you can discard the card they drew with Carrion Curse. It doesn’t really break the asynchronous nature of the game, as there are no choices to be made by the other person. If the game was implemented online, it can draw a card for your opponent and then show you their hand without needing that person to respond.

5 Likes

Quick question regarding illusions. Do they have arrival fatigue (can’t attack) if changes into a copy of a unit that had been out a turn prior yet just being played themselves. In the scenario my cousin plays quince brings out an illusion (just arrives) casts manufactured truth to make it a copy of spectral aven

1 Like

Units cannot attack unless they have Haste or they have been in play since the beginning of your turn. Copying another unit doesn’t change this fact. If the unit which has become a copy was not in play at the start of the turn, it cannot attack (unless the unit it’s copying has Haste). Whether the unit it’s copying was in play at the start of the turn is irrelevant.

1 Like

Having or not having arrival fatigue is not a status that can be copied, and is tied to the card.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info greatly appreciated.

1 Like

I thought so , thx for the reply love this game

1 Like

That is the reasoning I used last time:

I don’t really like making Entangling Vines “not work” on Gargoyle, but the rules needed to make it “work” are unreasonable to me. If someone really wants to know what “Until your next upkeep, Gargoyle can attack and patrol” means, I’d rather not have to explain that this overrides some instances of “Can’t attack or patrol” but not others!

4 Likes

For what it’s worth, I agree entirely.

I still think that reasoning is flawed. To make it simple to explain, just treat it the same way you treat every other simultaneous effect trigger: fully resolve one card, then move on to the next. So for gargoyle it goes can’t (from garg) -> can (garg’s effect) -> can’t (from entangling vines).

That doesn’t make any difference though, because when the gargoyle’s controller activates its ability on their next turn, that’s the most recent effect, so it can attack again. So you’re in exactly the same case where EV doesn’t do anything apart from sideline the Gargoyle.

I guess we’ll never know unless Sirlin himself weighs in, but I would be astounded if he intended Gargoyle to be immune from Entangling Vines. I can’t really argue this as being obvious from the text of either card, but nor does it seem to me to require anything more “unreasonable” than the alternative interpretation. I think from a pure rules-lawyer point of view this interaction is completely ambiguous - and the best way to clear it up would be to add a rule that “can’t” effects take priority over “can” ones (or indeed vice versa).

I guess one thing in favour of my preferred interpretation is, if activating the Gargoyle makes EV’s effect not happen any more, what then happens to the EV card? Presumably it would stay attached to Gargoyle (until Gargoyle leaves play) but have no effect. Seems weird to me - but not as weird as the whole idea that this one Tech I unit is mysteriously immune from this one spell that has a pretty devasatating effect on most other units in the game,

Your solution (can’t overrides can) makes Gargoyle a completely useless card, which seems worse than one broken interaction between two different cards. I also doubt it was the intention to make Gargoyle immune to EV, but there isn’t really a way to make it work and have the rules still make sense…

3 Likes

We could say something about how Gargoyle’s ability only overrides its own ability if we wanted. I’d just prefer not to.

1 Like

I’m cool with Entangling Vines merely sidelining Gargoyle once.

But if that is not the intent, then the easiest fix would be outright errata to Entangling Vines along the lines of “Sideline the unit. It cannot attack or patrol. Nor can it activate abilities which would allow it to attack or patrol.”

2 Likes

Perhaps Gargoyle could be errata’d:

Before:
Indestructible (If this would die, exhaust it and remove all damage and attachments from it instead. You can’t sacrifice it.)
Can’t attack or patrol.
① → Until your next upkeep, Gargoyle isn’t indestructible, gains flying, +3 ATK, and it can attack and patrol. Once-per-turn.

After:
Indestructible (If this would die, exhaust it and remove all damage and attachments from it instead. You can’t sacrifice it.)
Can’t attack or patrol.
① → Until your next upkeep, Gargoyle loses all printed abilities and gains flying and +3 ATK.

This preserves the “obvious” functionality of the card, and also allows Entangling Vines to lock down the Gargoyle. It even uses fewer words!

4 Likes