Rules Questions thread

correct. being the active player u decide if return it to hand or let it die

Hey, in a match with @Castanietzsche we ran into a weird scenario. I had a Gilded Glaxx and he used quince’s midband to copy it. Since he has gold in his pool, does that mean he doesn’t have to sacrifice it at the end of turn?

is not sacrifice but trash. YEt since he has gold, glaxx cannot be removed from play except via combat damage, so it stays there also:
Quince’s middle ability trashes the Mirror Illusion only once at the end of the turn you use the ability. — sharpo

it means that after the turn he played that, even if he has no gold mirror glaxx won’t be trashed for quince mid, yet he can die as an illusion for being targeted (always if he has no gold).

1 Like

If you assimilate an opponent’s jail with one of your units in it, then they play a unit, who gets the unit that comes out of jail?

1 Like

The controller of the creature, you in this case.

4 Likes

Hey all, I’m just working on revising my Codex rulebook (that I have posted on Board Game Geek).

I was wondering if any of you know if Tokens are permanently destroyed once killed?
To go one further, can you actually run out of tokens if they all get killed off?
Thanks

1 Like

Tokens are unlimited unless the card that generates them says “Limit: X” (and that only limits the number that can be out at once, so if any leave play a new one can be summoned). Any effect that would cause a token to leave the board trashes it, but that has no effect on the number of tokens that can be played later.

1 Like

Not quite accurate.
After a token leaves play, it ceases to exist, after triggering appropriate “dies” or “leaves” effects (but before those effects resolve)

1 Like

Fair enough. The point I was trying to emphasize was that you can summon an infinite number of tokens as long as you don’t go over the limit for how many of specific kinds can be on the board at once. The way the question was asked makes it sound like they thought each physical token card could only be used once per game…

1 Like

Thanks @Hobusu & @EricF , yes that’s correct, I am trying to establish whether or not a player can run out of Tokens.

So if I summoned all my frog Tokens and you killed all my frog Tokens, shall I never be allowed to summon frog Tokens again? Or is there actually an unlimited supply of frog Tokens?

Cheers guys!

unlimited supply. if u had 2 murkwood allies u could summon 8 frogs at once.

1 Like

Hehe, oh dear, yes…pardon the poor question.
I mean to say, “unlimited” in the context of if they are killed.
I am already assuming there is a supply limit for what can be in the game at the same time.
Good catch Legion

The physical tokens exist solely to help you track what’s going on in the game.
It doesn’t matter if you use the cards, magic cards, coins or anything, as long as you know what it is and can show exhausted/ready.

1 Like

u have a limit only if expressely stated. Quince can have a max of 2 mirrors at any time; u cannot have more than 2 birds. When is written Limit:x the only way to override it is to gain control with kidnapping and such. Where limit: X is not specified (ninja tokens, wisp tokens etc) u have an infinite amount available

1 Like

Oh snap, is that so? There’s another wrinkle to this Token issue.

Sure, what is it?

So here is the rules summary I have for Tokens now in my BGG rule book.

Tokens

• Tokens count as units.
  • They cannot be “teched-in” to your draw pile.
  • You never run out of tokens, meaning, if you had 5 frogs and all 5 get killed, you can still summon more frogs later on.

Some cards specify a limit for the number of token units they can summon/have out on the board.
However some cards do not specify a limit.
If you run out of officially printed token cards, you can always use a proxy card/piece of paper.
Example: you summoned 10 frogs, but your codex only contains 5 official frog tokens, you should find a way to represent the other 5 frogs.

Token units if killed:

• Are trashed & trigger regular dying/leaving effects (if any)
  • You can choose to store the trashed tokens in your codex or outside of the discard pile.
2 Likes

Ok, that seems fine. I don’t see any problems.

Also you should mention that they can never exist outside of the “in play”. As soon as they enter any zone other than “in play” they are trashed.
That means that if they are returned to hand, they do not trigger any “dies” effects.

1 Like

For completeness’ sake, you may want to mention that they are tech 0 units.

1 Like

and cost 0, unless is a mirror copying something else. (is important for cards like forgotten fighter)

1 Like