Rules Questions thread

Graveyard reads, in part, “Whenever your non-token units die, bury them here.” The key word being “your.”

In this case, only units your opponent controls will be buried in the Graveyard when they die. Similarly, if you have a Graveyard and kidnap something that dies, it will be buried in your Graveyard.

1 Like

It should be obvious, but this also applies to other forms of control too (Final Smash, Mind Control), i.e. they will go to your Graveyard (not your opponents), and when you play them from there they are under your control. It also applies to ‘flicker’ effects (e.g. Geiger’s maxband), they stay under your control, even though there is no longer any control effect affecting those cards.

Wait. So what happens if you Kidnapping something and then flicker it either with Max or Prynn’s maxband? Does it “forget” that you lose control of it at the end of the turn?

What if you Kidnap something, then Prynn it out of existence, then wait a few turns, then let Prynn die and return it under your control?

Yes, it won’t return to your opponent’s control (either when it comes into play again or at the end of your turn) if it is targeted by either Geiger or Prynn’s max band abilities. This is because cards have no memory once they leave play - when they return to play, they do so as a completely new instance of that card.

In the second case, the same thing happens. the unit returns to play under your control, and has ‘forgotten’ any effects which previously targeted it (e.g. Kidnapping, Vandy maxband)

Note that this is the reason Undo and Rewind specifically return things to their owner’s hand, rather than their controller’s hand. Owner specifically references the player that started the game with that card.

1 Like

can i use earthqueake to first demolish a tower with 1 damage already, and then do 3 damage to the base (damaged by the destruction of the tower?)

No, earthquake deals its damage all at the same time. A damaged tower and a base at 20 would result in a destroyed tower and a base at 17, 1 from earthquake and 2 from the destroyed tower.

can´t the active player choose?

Earthquake does not have a “do this, then do this” clause, it says they happen at the same time, therefore no ordering is required.

ok,thanks!

I’m actually not certain about that. I think in that case, you deal damage to the tower, which damages the base, then you don’t deal damage to the base because it is damaged.
I could be wrong though

I think how it’s supposed to work is:

1. Note how much health each building has before Earthquake does any damage
  2. Earthquake does 1 damage to any that were not damaged at step 1, and 4 to any that were damaged
  3. Check to see if any Tech buildings or add-ons were destroyed, and do 2 damage to Base for each one
4 Likes

Im not clear what Bomber is saying, but I am certain that Earthquake deals 1 damage to undamaged things, and 4 damage to damaged things, and that all that damage happens at the same time, and then if any addons or tech buildings were destroyed, the base takes damage from each of those.

5 Likes

I have a question relevant to my game with FrozenStorm.

Question Inside -- No FrozenStorms allowed!

As I recall, both Tech buildings and Add-ons finish being constructed at the end of the player’s turn. So if I start my turn with a Tech 1 building and begin construction on a Hero’s Hall or Tech 2 on my turn, do I have to wait until next turn to be able to play a second hero?

the answer is yes, sorry bro.

Yes.
(seriously why is there a character limit it’s so pointless)

That’s what I expected to hear. It’s OK, I just wanted to make sure I didn’t waste my money if it wasn’t needed. Thanks!

I really appreciate the feedback, particularly since I probably wouldn’t have figured some of it for months (Deteriorate). However, I think this just proves my point. From the above, the Lookout slot is useful when:

1. You are playing one out of 20 specs (truth)
  2. You’re playing against two starter decks (Black and White)
  3. You’re playing against specific specs AND you think your opponent might use an instant removal ability on something strong, AND you have a good squad leader. It is possible more cards will be placed in the lookout slot due to Patrol zone shifting abilities than due to deliberate play.

Compared to the other four slots, which are universally useful, the Lookout slot seems like the space only an expert will know how to utilize effectively.

1 Like

Admittedly, lookout is lesser-used compared to the other slots, but its use is wider than you make it sound. It has a more nuanced function and require good knowledge of your opponent’s options, but so does many other areas of Codex play. It doesn’t mean that it’s a gimmick that only gets explored by highest-level play. I think in certain situations its usefulness is pretty apparent - whenever the Lookout is physically safe but vulnerable to spells/abilities Lookout is better than the backline, and even better than the resource slots if the unit won’t die/you want it to survive.

A hopefully helpful reference list of what Lookout is effective against in the game, not counting effects that kill illusions:

Lookout things

Growth: Polymorph

Neutral starter: Spark, Bloom, Wither
Bashing: Intimidate, The Boot, Final Smash, Hired Stomper, Trojan Duck
Finesse: River midband, Appel Stomp

Red starter: Bombaster, Careless Musketeer, Bloodburn, Scorch (more effects than Black/White starters combined)
Anarchy: Zane maxband, Calypso Vystari
Blood: Bloodlust, Kidnapping, Crash Bomber, Ogre Recruiter
Fire: Jaina mid/maxband, Firebat, Bamstamper Lizzo, Firehouse

Blue starter: Arrest, Porkhand Magistrate
Law: Bigby midband, Insurance Agent, Arresting Constable
Peace: Boot Camp
Truth: Hallucination, Mind Control

White starter: Grappling Hook, Snapback
Discipline: Grave maxband, Versatile Style, Reversal, TPoS
Strength: Thunderclap, Entangling Vines, Whitestar Grappler

Black starter: Deteriorate
Demonology: Vandy maxband, Shadow Blade
Disease: Orpal mid/maxband, Sickness, Crypt Crawler, Ghoul
Necromancy: Nether Drain, Doom Grasp

Purple starter: Forgotten Fighter
Past: Prynn maxband, Vortoss Emblem, Undo, Origin Story, Stewardess of the Undone, Ebbflow Archon
Present: Geiger maxband, Tricycloid, Octavian
Future: Reaver, Xenostalker, Nebula

Some areas may only have one relevant card, such as Growth’s Polymorph or Purple starter’s Forgotten Fighter, but their existence is important enough that one needs to consider the Lookout slot when patrolling for that single card. Putting a Ironbark Treant in Lookout instead of Squadlead when you needed to patrol may make the difference between a setback for you and a bad trade for your opponent when they have Forgotten Fighter around, and that’s something the other slots can’t achieve. These considerations will become more apparant and natural with more plays. It does take more knowledge and thought, but is in no way a slot reserved for the experts.

3 Likes

Any sideline effects like River certainly become more expensive with lookout.