Rules Questions thread

How do u summon the neutral mercenary tokens?

My understanding is that you cannot summon the neutral mercenary tokens. They are for players 3, 4, and 5 in a 5-player game. Player 3 gets 1, player 4 gets 2 and player 5 gets 3 as a balancing mechanism for them starting late, just like player 2 gets one more worker than player 1.

3 Likes

For Nether Drain: The way I read the text, you have to complete the first sentence before moving on to the next sentence, so yes, Garth would lose 2 levels and have no other effect. In the case of 2 level 1 heroes, you could play nether drain, but whichever hero chosen to lose two levels would have no effect.

Mercenary tokens are only for the free for all mode, they have no other purpose. All players other than player 1 have 5 workers, and players beyond second have mercenaries, as dontmindlosing said.

1 Like

Hmmm, I’m not sure about the 2 lvl 1 hero case. Surely “Do as much as you can” means that you level the second hero up, even if the first hero can’t lose levels? If the second statement depended on the first, wouldn’t there be a “If you do, ,” clause like on other cards (e.g. Doom Grasp)?

ETA: Just to clarify, I think that if there are 2 lvl 1 heroes in play, Nether Drain tries to reduce the level of the first hero chosen by 2 (but can’t because you can’t go below level 1), and then increases the level of the second hero by 2, meaning that you end up with 1 lvl 1 hero and 1 lvl 3 hero.

1 Like

My response may have been garbled. To be more clear: A level 1 hero is chosen to lose 2 levels which has no effect, and then another level 1 hero is chosen to gain 2 levels.

2 Likes

Ok, it sounds like we agree about what would happen then :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think the wording indicates that you have to do the first sentence before the second sentence. (Final Smash is similar). Also, “another” means that you have to pick a different hero for the gain level effect than you did for the lose level effect. So in the case where you only have 1 hero, that’s two different reasons why you can’t get the level up effect. You have to pick a different hero, and even if you could pick the same hero he gets the “can’t level up” restriction before the level up effect resolves.

The “do as much as you can” rule means that you resolve the first sentence even if you can’t resolve the second sentence.

Then the level 3 hero can trade with something, and the level 1 guy won’t gain levels.

I suppose Garth could trade into something, its a bit outside the box.

Can Manufactured Thruth copy a unit with Forecast if that unit still has rune on it?

No, the forecasted unit isn’t in play.

Similar to how Manufactured Truth cannot copy a unit that’s in Jail.

When you play the Free-For-All mode, can each player use a 1 spec codex, or does it have to be 3 spec codexes only?

3 spec, 1 v 1 os the “standard” way to play.

You are free to mix amd match any of the variants (one spec, more than 2 players, maps) however you would like.

A few questions from my first game:

1. Do you get the money/draw the card from the scavenger/technician slot immediately during your opponents turn, or at the start of your next turn? I would have assumed immediately since nothing in the rulebook says otherwise, but in the forums people do this at the start of their turn. If immediately, this allows people to steal that gold, even if you floated none previously.

2. What happens when an indestructible unit becomes an illusion and then gets targeted? Which takes precedent?

3. Is the online rules spreadsheet still being updated with questions from this forum?

Thanks!

Can a maxband Quince copy a played Abomination with a mirror, or would the mirror die before that could happen?

1. Immediately. In PbP, people write it at the start of their turns to acknoledge that they got the bonus (and because you can hardly do it in the opponent’s post :wink: )

2. Being a targeted illusion is just another destroy effect. Since indestructible prevents those, the unit is safe from being destroyed, but it will get exhausted (and sidelined) as per the indestructible rules.

3. No idea.

The Maxband could copy the abomination you play, as the copy happens when you play the card, not when it arrives? This assumes that playing and arriving are discrete triggers, so playing an abomination could trigger and resolve the Maxband before the arrival of the abomination.

A mirror hardened mox can be targeted as a way to put runes onto a mirror for example. The mirror will survive.

I dont think Sharpo has added anything in a while, but I assume he still can.

Quince max-band happens when a unit arrives, which is clearly after the -1/-1 is in effect.

Per the helpful turtle / star-crossed starlet ruling, units dying from damage = hp interrupts the chain of actions, so you cannot copy a fresh abomination with a dying mirror.

2 Likes

So Gilded Glaxx. If it would be killed by non-combat damage, what actually happens to it? Does it exhaust like indestructible units, or do those effects just skip it?

ex. Glaxx had a -1/-1 rune, and then Spreading Plague is cast.