Rules Questions thread

Actually they are worded differently and work as Jadiel indicates. Gargoyle has “until” and Vandy has “at.”

Maybe I am confusing myself with Stash: “You may keep a card during the draw/discard step. If you do, draw one card less.”

To me this indicates the following sequence: I have 3 cards left in hand. I stash 1, discard 2, draw 4 (1 less than X+2=5), and put the stashed card back in hand for a total of 5 cards in hand.

Alternate interpretation: I have 3 cards left in hand. I stash 1, discard 2, draw 3 (1 less than X+2=4), and put the stashed card back in hand for a total of 4 cards in hand.

Can I get some clarification?

1 Like

The first option is the right one.
Since, technically, the stashed card is in your hand the whole time, the rule makes you “draw 1 less card” to account for it.

I’m pretty sure the intention is that you do what you said in your first one. However, if you’re pedantically reading the rules as written, I think the second is probably ‘correct’, as the rules specifically say that you should draw 2 more cards ‘than you discarded’, if you stashed the card, you didn’t discard it, so you would normally draw 2 more than you actually discarded (4), but the rules say to draw one less, so 3.

I’ve never seen anyone actually play with the pedantic RAW interpretation though, but it should perhaps be clarified in the rulings doc.

1 Like

Glad to hear I’m not crazy. :smiley: At least not in regards to Stash.

2016-03-07: An example of how stash works. Normally (without stash), if you have 2 cards left in hand when you reach the discard/draw phase, you’d discard both cards and then draw 4 cards (you draw 2 more than you discard). If you have stash, instead of discarding both cards, you can choose to keep one of them in your hand. If you do, you will STILL end up with 4 cards total, but you’ll be drawing 3 cards rather than 4 (the 4th card is the one you kept).

2 Likes

ah, apparently it is in the rules doc, silly me.

Might be obvious but I want to make sure.
Can I target enemy units/heros with bloodlust?
When I do the haste and +1 will be removed at the end of my turn.
As well the enemy unit/hero will get 1 damage at the end of my turn.
The haste will have no effect when played on enemy unit/hero like this.

Is that correct?

AFAIK yes, many times bloodlust have been played on my units with 1 hp to safely kill them ;__;

1 Like

So, just to confirm:

Long-range only works when attacking (or defending against a long-range attacker), right? “Defenders without long-range deal no damage to this when it attacks” suggests that it has to be actively attacking, rather than patrolling, to have the long-range characteristic to its attack.

1 Like

Also: When using Truth and copying a unit that has an “Arrives:” keyword, does the copy perform the “arrives” action, or is it considered to have already arrived because the card is already on the table? By the same token, can one play a Mirror Illusion one turn, then on the next turn play a unit, and copy that unit with the existing Mirror Illusion to effectively get a pseudo-haste effect?

YEs, longe range works only in attack, and as defense against other LR units.
For the second question, imo, the “arrives” gets copied but is ineffective, since the mirror was already there, missing the timing. Like drakk maxb, it cannot activate retroactively. The mirror becomes a copy, but since it was already on the field, the “arrive” step is lost.

1 Like

Long time MTG player here. Been playing lots of Codex (lovin’ it!)

Couple of questions:

1. If I play a building card (Flagstone Garrison), do I get the static and trigger abilities immediately? For example: If I were to follow-up in that same turn by playing Overeager Cadet, do I draw a card? Or do I first have to wait until my next turn?

2. If I attack an opponent’s base with a Xenostalker (⊚ Unstoppable. Attacks: Deal 1 damage to up to four patrollers without flying), what happens if my opponent has a non-flying patroller in the Resist: 1 slot? Am I forced to pay a gold? Do I get a choice to pay or not? What happens if I can’t/don’t pay?

3. If I attack an opponent’s base with a unit that’s both Unstoppable and Invisible, while my opponent has a Tower add-on, does this use up the tower’s detection ability? For example: I attack my opponent’s base with Xenostalker, while I control a Nebula. Can I declare that my Xenostalker is spotted by the tower, but proceed to hit his base anyway? Allowing my other Invisible units to attack the base as well?

An expert response to these questions would be greatly appreciated. Awesome game!

1. only the tech buildings and add ons are built at end of turn. All cards buildings are instantly active, so yes, u play FG, and if u play 2 units u draw 2 cards.
  2. if the opponent has 5 patrollers, u can choose to not attack the Looky one. If has less than 5 and a looky patroller u have to pay. plz note: i must pay if u can. If u attack with 0 gold and there is a looky patroller, u do not pay and u get to attack the building nonetheless (but not the patroller). Codex has the “do as much as u can rule”. For example, if the opponent has a flagbearer in looky and u have 0 gold after playing a spell/ability u can ignore flagbearer as a target cuz u cannot pay the looky gold.
  3. when the first invisible unit attacks, tower detects it, so it can only attack patrollers (unless is unstoppable) and gets the tower damge (as if it was not invisible). From the second invisible attacker onward, no tower dmg and no detection, so they can attack anything (they for ex can ignore the SQL and kill a more dangerous unit in technician, a sidelined unit/hero or a building)

Long time MTG player here. Been playing lots of Codex (lovin’ it!)

Couple of questions:

1. If I play a building card (Flagstone Garrison), do I get the static and trigger abilities immediately? For example: If I were to follow-up in that same turn by playing Overeager Cadet, do I draw a card? Or do I first have to wait until my next turn?

Just like in MtG, Summoning Sickness only affects attacks and abilities which require you to tap/exhaust the card. Any triggered and static abilities are in effect as soon as the card is played.

1. If I attack an opponent’s base with a Xenostalker (⊚ Unstoppable. Attacks: Deal 1 damage to up to four patrollers without flying), what happens if my opponent has a non-flying patroller in the Resist: 1 slot? Am I forced to pay a gold? Do I get a choice to pay or not? What happens if I can’t/don’t pay?

Xenostalker says “up to”, so you can choose 0, 1, 2, 3 or 4 targets when the ability triggers. If you choose a target with resist, you must pay to do so. If you cannot pay, then you cannot target that unit.

1. If I attack an opponent’s base with a unit that’s both Unstoppable and Invisible, while my opponent has a Tower add-on, does this use up the tower’s detection ability? For example: I attack my opponent’s base with Xenostalker, while I control a Nebula. Can I declare that my Xenostalker is spotted by the tower, but proceed to hit his base anyway? Allowing my other Invisible units to attack the base as well?

Yes, this does use up the tower’s detection, to no effect, as the unit is unblockable. This means any other invisible units you have can ignore the tower, as it only detects the first invisible or stealth unit which attacks each turn. Note that you have no choice about what the tower detects, it always detects the first attacking unit with stealth or invisibility. I’m pretty sure you realise this, but you said ‘Can I declare’, so just making sure :slight_smile:

An expert response to these questions would be greatly appreciated. Awesome game!

2 Likes

Jadiel has it correct. Though Resist when I have 0 gold has always been a little weird for me.

If you cannot pay, you cannot target a unit with resist. I am not actually sure that is how it works, though it does seem like a reasonable interpretation.

If a flagbearer has resist 1, and I have 0 gold, I don’t have to target the flagbearer.

The “do as much as you can” rule is for mandatory effects. When a card says “up to” or “may” then a choice can be made to not do a thing.

1 Like

If you cannot pay, you cannot target a unit with resist. I am not actually sure that is how it works, though it does seem like a reasonable interpretation.

If a flagbearer has resist 1, and I have 0 gold, I don’t have to target the flagbearer.

These are both correct, as per this ruling:

If you cannot target a flagbearer for some reason, then you don’t have to and you can ignore it. For example, if a flagbearer has resist 1 (which requires you to pay 1 gold to target it) and you have 0 gold, you don’t have to target it. Or in other words, if you have a spell that costs 4 and that targets, and you have exactly 4 gold, you CAN ignore a flagbearer with resist 1 because it’s impossible for you to pay the resist cost in this case, and thus impossible to target the flagbearer. — Sirlin

2 Likes

Does Jail just invalidate Drakk’s maxband?

For the most part, yes. This is called out in the rulings entry for Drakk:

If you play a unit and it goes to an opponent’s Jail, then play another unit so your first unit arrives from Jail, it never “arrived from your hand.”

However, if you get a unit from your hand into play some other way, such as via Feral Strike, you can still apply Drakk’s maxband to the first such unit.

1 Like

Question about Nether Drain:

One hero loses two levels and can’t level up this turn. Another hero gains two levels. (Heroes can’t go below level 1 or above their max level.)

1. If I play this when there is only one hero in play, they lose 2 levels, and nothing else happens, right? It’s not possible to choose to have them gain two levels instead?
  2. If I play this spell when me and my opponent both have a level 1 hero, does that mean that my hero gains two levels, even though theirs cannot lose 2?
2 Likes