Rules Questions thread

I’m not seeing any examples of “End of turn:” triggers.

There are effects that end at the end of turn.
There are ephemeral units that die a the end of turn.

I’m not sure what else you’re referring to here.

e.g. Bloodrage Ogre

So your argument is that there is a separate phase for Bloodrage Ogre that is just before the end of turn phase where effects expire and just after the player redraws their hand?

Or is it that bloodrage ogre’s “end of turn:” trigger is a trigger, so the other effects expire first but bloodrage ogre returning to hand is the first in the queue?

No, Bloodrage Ogre (and other things that happen at the end of turn, like ephemeral) happens during the end of turn phase, but effects that last until end of turn expire after the end of turn phase but before the start of the next player’s turn. This was hashed out earlier in this thread. I’m hesitant to say this is because BRO and ephemeral are triggers, but I think probably all end of turn phase stuff are triggers, and all until end of turn expiring effects are not.

Which cards actually say “until end of turn”? The cards I’m looking at (Rampant Growth, Dinosize, Stampede, Sensei’s Advice, Speed of the Fox, etc.) all say “this turn”.

e.g. Manufactured Truth

But I’m inclined to treat the two wordings as synonymous.

Here’s a comprehensive list of all cards that use the word “until”:

until end of turn

Chaos Mirror
Discord
Kidnapping
Manufactured Truth

until your next upkeep

Elite Training
Eyes of the Chancellor
Ferocity
Gargoyle
Polymorph: Squirrel
The Art of War
Unphase
Void Star

until your next turn

Moment’s Peace

until after it’s owner’s next turn

Snapback

until after their next turn

Free Speech

until they leave play

Metamorphosis

Well, this quote from sharpo is very clear about “at” vs. “until” end of turn, and from his reasoning, I agree with you that “this turn” is synonymous with “until end of turn”.
But if we extend the same interpretation of “at” and “until” to effects that happen around upkeep, it seems that Polymorph: Squirrel should expire after Dothram Horselord’s ability triggers.

The discussion spanned a number of posts which is why I didn’t just link to one. Here’s a pretty good distinction between the two concepts:

The thing with the upkeep timing is, it doesn’t say “until the end of your next upkeep”. It’s a bit ambiguous to just say “until your next upkeep”, because the upkeep is a block of time rather than an instant in time, but the most straightforward interpretation is that when you first reach that block of time, discontinue.

Why would upkeep be a block of time? You don’t make any decisions in upkeep, you just collect gold and resolve effects. That’s closer to end of turn (an instant) than to a turn (a block).

That’s just an abstract conception I use whenever talking about phases, most likely since I’m coming from MtG.

But, you do make decisions during the upkeep sometimes: as the active player when multiple cards trigger during the upkeep, and when Rememberer puts a unit into play, maybe others I don’t immediately recall as well. I guess you could also conceive of it as an instant in time, with the active player sorting the triggers and such, but the same could be said for end of turn triggers.

As described in sharpo’s comment there, the difference is that “end of turn” refers to two different concepts: a brief phase during your turn, and the instant when your turn actually ends. This isn’t the case for upkeep.

But to say “until” your upkeep implies that it is not during your upkeep. You do not say “until 4pm” to mean it continues after 4pm.

Yeah, my point was that upkeep and end of turn are the same “kind” of thing, whatever you want to call it. In both of them you only make decisions about the ordering of “simultaneous” effects. (I guess a better way to phrase my earlier response is that you don’t take consecutive actions, the way you do during your turn).

The part about “end of turn” does seem to be the takeaway from sharpo’s comment. And I haven’t seen a similar official ruling about “upkeep”, so it’s definitely possible that it works differently. But if the wording in the two cases is exactly the same, and yet they work in exactly the opposite way, it’s just really weird and confusing :man_shrugging:

I agree. My natural interpretation of “until X” is “stops at X”, which would let the active player decide the ordering of “until” and “at” effects.

1 Like

Yes, it can be confusing. I vaguely recall sharpo having a conversation about this on Discord, maybe with Punf. Personally, I don’t think it’s unreasonable for “until end” and “until start”/“until X phase” to have opposite behaviour.

What do you mean by this, exactly? I don’t see anywhere that this is the case.

End of turn: you resolve “at” effects, then “until” effects. For example, Bloodlust deals damage before Rampant Growth wears off.

Upkeep: you resolve “until” effects, then “at” effects. For example, Polymorph: Squirrel wears off before you check Dothram Horselord’s ability.

(I’m lumping the actual word “at” together with the colon in things like Horselord’s ability. If they’re supposed to behave differently, that’s even worse :grimacing:)

This would imply effects stopping go on the queue, which I’m fairly sure they don’t.

Effects stopping can trigger events that go into the queue, though. Say you had cast Polymorph: Squirrel on your Gemscout Owl so it could attack and benefit from Midori’s midband. Then, you attack a SQL Building Inspector with it, so it now has a point of damage. When Polymorph: Squirrel wears off, the Owl will die… and let’s say it’s insured, so that triggers a card draw, or you have Captured Bugblatter in play or something.

1 Like

Oh, and if they were triggered simultaneously the Horselord ability wouldn’t fire. OK, fair enough. I still think it would fire for the reason stated above: “until end of turn” and “during end of turn” refer to different types of “end of turn”.