Rules Questions thread

4? Arda’s Boulder, Hardened Mox, and un-animated gargoyle are 3. What’s the 4th that can survive a 5 atk hit?

I was thinking a lonely Inverse Power Ninja. Though it would die immediately when it came under your control.

Hardened Mox would be another useless case since the capture would trash it, at least if I’ve followed the previous discussion correctly about convoluted ways to kill things.

Ipn would also kill the Ogre.

Ah you’re right. I didn’t consider that the Ogre would die.
Although in this theoretical scenario where the Ogre’s “if this survives” text relates to the thing its attacking and not itself, technically it could be killed by the IPN and take control of it. And the IPN would survive on 1 health!

Can I ask a question in this zhavier?

If I bring a mirror into play and immediately copy the Justice Juggernaut - can it attack this round? I am wondering if it copies the Juggernaut’s state and ignore its own which would prevent it from attacking.

thanks!

No, it can’t attack. If you bring a mirror into play and copy somethine with Haste, it will have haste and can therefore attack. However, when copying a unit without Haste, it doesn’t get to sidestep the rule which says “Units which you didn’t control since the beginning of your turn can’t attack”, even if the unit it copies has been in play since the beginning of the turn.

1 Like

Mirrors don’t copy arrival fatigue or exhaustion. If you summoned a mirror last turn, and this turn summon a unit and make the mirror a copy of it, the mirror can attack.

However, mirrors do have arrival fatigue of their own. If you summon a mirror this turn, you can’t attack with it this turn. Unless you make it a copy of a unit with haste

3 Likes

thanks guys - this was how my opponent made me play it - seemed rough at the time. Still got to use both mirrors next turn for the win :wink:

1 Like

Favorite copy targets!
Glorious Ninja
Crashbarrow

Or without haste:
Bone Collector
Brave Knight

1 Like

If Prynn is Free Speech’ed, does her “Leaves:” maxband ability still apply? One the one hand, it reminds me of Vandy’s…it’s an ability of the things sent to time prison rather than an ability of Prynn. But if something is trashed, how can it have its own abilities? My head hurts.

If you free speech Prynn after she has trashed your stuff, then kill her, or let her suicide on her own turn, that stuff she trashed isn’t coming back.

I would be mildly inclined to allow Prynn to return things if she comes back and maxbands a second time and then leaves play again, but that would not be in line with the idea that when things enter play, they are a new instance and don’t interact with the old instance or anything that old instance did.

The main thing about this interaction is that the free speech player probably is screwing themself over by doing it that way, and that it wouldnt be possible to do in a normal game.

EDIT: I just thought of doing this in a FFA game to really screw over someone. Player A has Prynn, uses maxband on player C stuff, and Player B uses free speech and kills Prynn.

1 Like

Why does Kidnapping give the unit haste? How is that different, gameplay-wise, from Mind Control? Does gaining control of a unit give it arrival sickness? If so, does the unit’s arrives ability trigger?

I think the arrives question is a good point, but in answer, Arrives happens when something moves from not in play to in play. Arrival fatigue isn’t caused by arriving, despite the name, it is caused by not controlling something since the start of your turn. That is why kidnapping has haste and mind control does not.

1 Like

Hello all. My deluxe set just arrived and I was able to play my first game over the weekend; which has brought up a bunch of questions. The forum was very helpful in answering most of my questions, but a the following still remain:

1. If a tech building is destroyed on your opponent’s turn, while it is rebuilding can you build the next level tech building (assuming worker/gold requirement met) or must you wait till the next turn when re-construction is complete?

2. Can spells be played the first turn a hero is brought to the field (assuming tech level/gold requirements are met)?

3. For the +2 level up reward for your hero when an opposing hero is killed, does the hero you want to level up have to kill the opposing leader or can you kill it with any unit/hero/spell and apply the level up to any of your active heroes on the field?

4. Do neutral factions count toward the multi-color faction gold penalty?

5. Does surplus change your max hand size to six?

1 Like
  1. you must wait for a tech 1 to be built to build tech 2.

2. spells can be played the same turn a hero arrives, with the caveat that ultimate spells require a hero that has been max level since the start of your turn.

3. the level up happens regardless of how a hero died. You can even suicide your own hero and give the levels to an opposing hero of your choice that is not max level already.

4. no.

5. no surplus causes a draw at your upkeep, which is important for tech choice timing and cards like lawful search and carrion curse.

2 Likes

to elaborate on this, there isn’t a “max hand size”. There is a max draw limit of 5 during the draw/discard step. Surplus draw doesn’t happen during the draw/discard step, so it’s not subject to that limit. So if you discard 3 cards at the end of your turn, you’ll draw 5, then during your upkeep surplus will let you draw another.

compare to Shrine of Forbidden Knowledge, which does increase the amount you draw during your discard/draw set, and therefore also gives you +1 to “hand size”, which is shorthand for max draw limit during discard/draw

2 Likes

Put another way, hand size is a value that only matters during the draw/discard step.

1 Like

Thank you for the clarifications guys

1 Like

I don’t think that true. When she trashes something, that trashed thing gets text that says “returns to play when Prynn leaves.” Thus it isn’t affected by free speech.

Prynn maxband reads:
Leaves: return all cards to play that Pasternaak trashed.

It is indeed Prynn’s ability, which is not active when she is silenced by Free Speech.
Or when she loses it via Nether Drain. It can be done on your own Prynn, resulting in a cute broken combo to permanently get rid of opponent’s Tech 3 units.

1 Like