Rules Questions thread

Meaning units on both sides would be legal targets? Hypothetically, as the active player I can choose one opposing and one friendly unit? Sorry for nitpicking.

No, the two units that you place runes on must both be friendly to the same unit; the active player chooses which unit that dies is the one that triggers the ability.

1 Like

Got it, thanks!

Ey there! I’m going to play a free for all game with 5 players. On the rulebook it’s not clear if the players should play with one hero each or three hero each. Or it is doable in both way?

Thanks!

Hey, there!

Free-for-all is intended to be played with standard decks, i.e. three specs/heroes each. Single-hero is just meant for learning games with Bashing and Finesse. You could do it with one hero each, but it might turn out rather lopsided.

1 Like

what would have happened if one of us had exactly one unit? Would still the whole effect have fizzled or only the parts where there is a choice to make?
I assume it also would have fizzled completely.
What if both players have exactly one unit? Does it still fizzle?

I’m pretty sure it fizzles, since the player still has to pick out those units. If it didn’t fizzle, it would incentivise some odd lines of play.

1 Like

Vandy maxband will always fizzle when its not Vandy’s controller’s turn, regardless of the board state. The same is true of Max Geiger, Garth Torken, and Zane (though this also fizzles from there being no opposing patrollers because you can’t patrol during your own turn).

As for our match, its trivial to order events so that there are no units in play at the time quincy dies in this specific situation, but its my understanding even a degenerate choice is still considered a choice by the game rules.

That’s exactly my expectation, just wanted to make sure for future situations like that. Thanks to the two of you!

Hello All,
I am a new restarter (after 5yrs) and I need your advice:
All these years after the release of the game, are there any necessary balancing (regulation/ restriction or buff/debuff ) suggestions?

Thx!

finally I found this post

Who is MoLaC?

Welcome to codex @olompumpa !

Might of Leaf and Claw is a Growth tech 2 upgrade that, combined with Zane and red starter, has proven overly easy to activate

1 Like

The only thing I’d note is some ambiguous wording on one card in Purple / Vortoss Conclave: Prynn’s midband ability only triggers (“dies from fading”) if Prynn dies from the Fading ability step at upkeep, not if she loses her last time rune in any other way.

With respect to the above balance changes, we’ve been trying these out only recently, so I wouldn’t consider them as “necessary”, especially not if you’ve just starting playing. Just play the game as given, and have fun!

3 Likes

There’s some concern about balance between Black and Blue especially. If you figure out how to beat Black with Blue then I’m sure the community would be delighted to learn!

That being said, I’m going to make a recommendation to avoid Black and Blue while you’re getting to know the game. Both have mechanics that significantly disrupt the “normal” flow of the game and seem to require more skill to overcome. I think it’s probably going to be a smoother time playing a deck successfully against similarly paced opponents before having to figure out how to recover from thieving imp openers changing the whole economy.

My 2 cents.

Obscure question incoming:

Blooming Ancient has a target icon. I’m assuming that is directed at their ability where they move a +1/+1 rune onto something else, but is it also directed at them receiving a +1/+1 rune when a fellow creature arrives?

Relevant for when a mirror image mirrors a blooming ancient.

Pretty sure it only applies to the ability where you move runes off of the Ancient, as the other ability doesn’t involve the ability to choose which thing is affected, which is kind of core to the essence of what it means to target something. And, while I couldn’t find a ruling to explicitly confirm that, I did find several that unambiguously demonstrate that the targeting icon on a unit with multiple abilities does not imply that every ability on that unit targets, e.g., Zarramonde, the Obliterator has obliterate and a target icon, but there’s a ruling that explicitly says that obliterate does not target. And, considering there is nothing printed on such cards to explicitly detail which abilities the target icon does and does not apply to, I think we just have to use common sense and apply the target icon to, and only to, those abilities that involve choosing a thing to affect.

3 Likes

Does Verdant Tree apply to rebuilding effects also?

It does indeed.

1 Like

Is it possible to add that to the codexcarddb entry?

I guess not. Should we get a wiki going?