Rules Questions thread

I definitely never want to see a game where a player have a spell in play attached to nothing

1 Like

You can’t keep hiding from the Truth forever

you can do this with Two Step if you want.

I meant a spell like spirit of the panda
Channeling is clearly different mechanic and is “tethered” to the hero even if you dont physically “attach” it to the card

1 Like

While this makes sense on may levels, I am inevitably and uncomfortably reminded of the “lose track rule” in Dominion (http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Lose_Track_rule), which (in the thankfully rare-ish cases where it is needed to resolve a rules question) always confuses people, and feels like a bit of a fudge that was hurriedly introduced to deal with some rare situations.

Although Codex is undoubtedly a more complicated game than Dominion, with situations where the rules are unclear much more prevalent (part of the reason the LT rule seems ugly in Dominion is that the rules governing card interactions are mostly so clear and intuitive once some simple basic principles are understood), so it’s probably inevitable here :slight_smile:

I have a weird question about Martial Mastery:

If you cast it while it’s the last card in your hand, what happens?

You have nothing you can discard, so you can’t do “discard a card”.

However, unlike a spell like Doom Grasp, Martial Mastery doesn’t have the “If you do,” pre-condition on drawing two cards and looking at your opponent’s hand.

So if I can’t discard a card, do I still get to draw 2 and check my opponent’s hand?

4 Likes

Sounds like a legitimate loophole.

4 Likes

I guess so!

2 Likes

So it is a white version of Desperation. Nifty!

3 Likes

Costs one more and draws one less card, but lets you peek at opponent’s hand and you don’t have to discard your entire hand at the end of the turn. Cool.

1 Like

That last bit is significant, since if you play no other cards after Martial Mastery you start your next turn with 4 cards!

1 Like

In Free For All mode. If I target an Illusion, is it considered killing it for the purpose of gaining gold on kills?

There was a sharpo ruling on what counted for the gold bounty earlier, but I now see that it was not posted to this thread.

The end result for your question is yes, because the spell or ability directly destroys the illusion. You get the same result (a gold bounty being awarded) with shadow blade, reversal, bloodburn, scorch, etc if the thing simply dies from the damage.

I’ll see if I can find sharpos previous wording and edit it in here.

1 Like

Based on my previous opinions I think you do get gold here.

Also, I would like to announce the following change to my unwritten comprehensive rules doc:
“Whenever you kill an enemy unit on your turn” is now defined to mean “Whenever an enemy unit dies on your turn.”

Thanks.

Edit: To avoid surprising players you should of course finish any ongoing multiplayer games with the old rules, and announce that this rule will be used at the start of future multiplayer games until everyone forgets that there was a different rule.

2 Likes

Does this mean that Sacrifice the Weak now gives you a bounty on opposing units that get sacrificed?

It seems like it.

Follow up, @sharpobject:
If you kidnap a unit on your turn and suicide it into a bigger unit, do you get a bounty? It was under your control when it died, but it goes to their discard pile on your turn, so it certainly counts as an enemy unit after it dies if not right before.

An enemy unit is a unit that is in play under an opponent’s control. A unit you kidnap stops being an enemy unit for a while.

Edit: If it dies while you control it, you won’t get gold for that.

1 Like

What if it dies because the Kidnapping effect wore off, and it stopped being affected by a +HP effect (eg Macciatus).

1 Like

In this case it will die during the next player’s turn. So if you kidnap player A’s unit, then when you give it back it no longer has the buff and dies, and the next player in turn order is player B, player B will get a bounty.

2 Likes

Hmm. Now I’m curious, just hypothetically: If you use Bloodlust to target an enemy unit with 1 HP left and it dies at the end of the turn because of it, do you get cash for it?