Rule Question

Just got the game, been reading the rulebook for a while, looking forward to playing it!

Anyway, regarding combos and the order to resolve them, the rules state to Do Things In Order, left to right, top to bottom. If I play something like Axe Kick (+ brown arrow, + 2 chips), do I have to use the arrow first before drawing 2 chips? Because, if I can do them at any order, I can draw 2 chips first to see if I get another brown chip to play. Otherwise, I would have to play a brown chip first before drawing 2 chips? Say the next chip I play in the combo is Bang then Fizzle (If your gem pile totals 4 or fewer, + 2 black arrow, + 2 chips, Once-per-turn). Would I have to play the 2 chips for the combo first before drawing 2 chips?

So, to summarize, do I have to play the chips in this order?

1. Play Axe Kick
  2. Play Bang then Fizzle (from Axe Kick)
  3. Play 2 enders (from Bang then Fizzle)
  4. Draw 2 chips (from Bang then Fizzle)
  5. Draw 2 chips (from Axe Kick)

Or am I allowed to mix it up based on how I want to resolve it? Example:

1. Play Axe Kick
  2. Draw 2 chips (from Axe Kick)
  3. Play Bang then Fizzle (from Axe Kick, possibly just drew it)
  4. Draw 2 chips (from Bang then Fizzle)
  5. Play 2 enders or something else (with some chips just drawn)

I guess that only helps to draw gems for the buy phase, limiting the combo action if I am bound to play them in the order. Thanks for your help!

Basic gist is, the “extra action” arrows are meant to be treated as a sort of resource to be spent, not as a mandatory subroutine call. You can mix things up however you want, so long as you play the chips that give you action arrows before you play the chips that spend those actions.

1 Like

You are NOT allowed to mix it up. But your second sequence is the only correct way to sequence it (except by playing Bang then Fizzle before Axe Kick).

Here is what happens when you play Axe Kick:

• You remove Axe Kick from your hand and put it on the table face-up.
  • You get a :brownarrow: resource
  • You draw 2 chips.

You’re now done playing Axe Kick and can use your :brownarrow: to play Bang then Fizzle.

2 Likes

Oh, right, yeah, brain fart on my part. Chip draws are always immediate.

Thank you guys! So resolve chips in order played, not nesting it like I had thought.