Post Here if you're looking for a Play by Forum Opponent

@Nekoatl
Rnd 2.

I would play another [Present/Future]/Peace. Who starts? High or low number?

1 Like

High, Iā€™ll create a thread.

Looking to try [Necromancy]/Truth/Present, rnd 25.

1 Like

@Nekoatl Iā€™m game to play w/e against that, start us a thread (if you donā€™t wanna pick Iā€™ll play [Balance]/Blood/Str and rolled 31)

2 Likes

Want to play as monoRed vs any monocolor. Any turn, your choice.

Hey @bolyarich Iā€™ll play as monoGreen, a virtual coin flip gave me P1 so Iā€™ll start the thread

Looking to try the modelā€™s current favourite, [Demonology]/Discipline/Finesse. Random 1 :eyes:

@charnel_mouse Iā€™m interested in playing, but Iā€™ll be honest and let you know that Iā€™m remarkably bad at Codex and so if youā€™re looking to test the efficacy of that build, Iā€™m not an especially ideal candidate. If thatā€™s not a concern, then Iā€™ll make a game for us (random: 23).

1 Like

Fine by me!

Who is in for modelā€™s choice random match? If anyone is interested pick or random one of the sample matchup by charnel_mouse, see below, and start us off as P1! :kissing_heart:

P1 P2
[Balance]/Blood/Finesse [Balance]/Law/Present
[Truth]/Disease/Present [Ninjitsu]/Anarchy/Future
[Blood]/Discipline/Past [Finesse]/Fire/Necromancy
[Peace]/Blood/Fire [Truth]/Demonology/Disease
[Finesse]/Blood/Necromancy [Fire]/Balance/Strength
[Disease]/Discipline/Fire [Necromancy]/Balance/Fire
[Blood]/Finesse/Law [Finesse]/Blood/Strength
[Blood]/Discipline/Past [Past]/Balance/Finesse
[Balance]/Blood/Ninjitsu [Blood]/Feral/Necromancy
[Future]/Peace/Truth [Balance]/Blood/Strength
[Law/Truth]/Present [Blood]/Law/Ninjitsu
[Fire]/Past/Truth [Necromancy]/Fire/Present
[Past]/Balance/Peace [Peace]/Feral/Finesse
[Growth]/Bashing/Disease [Feral]/Discipline/Truth
[Law]/Fire/Growth [Bashing]/Present/Strength
[Peace]/Demonology/Growth [Bashing]/Peace/Strength
[Law]/Demonology/Feral [Disease]/Bashing/Fire
[Bashing]/Blood/Future [Law]/Bashing/Necromancy
[Peace]/Future/Past [Fire]/Ninjitsu/Truth
[Bashing]/Demonology/Disease [Strength]/Disease/Growth
3 Likes

@bansa Iā€™ll give it a shot with [Bashing]/Peace/Strength.

Wondering if anyoneā€™s interested in getting some FFA action started.

I could be into that, provided we avoid blackā€™s dominance

Hmm, would randomly determining a starter deck for all players to use (before each game, if more than one are played), then allowing players to choose their heroes (provided at least one matches the randomized starter) work?

What is FFA? Is this an event?

FFA is free-for-all, which is a mode for 3 to 5 players given in the rulebook.
Iā€™d be game.

1 Like

Tracking everyoneā€™s board state in forum play isā€¦ challenging.

1 Like

I completely forgot about that. I suggest making use of the board state spreadsheet from before.

As much as Iā€™d like to volunteer to monitor and update it myself, though, I think Iā€™m not up to that task right now, so itā€™d be better if each player update the board state at the start of their turn, after verifying the previous turn doesnā€™t contain any errors.

That would work for me.

As for how to select decks, I just think black starter, Garth, and Orpal should be banned. Too many things affecting all players.

I agree those are some of the stronger options in FFA, precisely because they have cards that affect other players, and if people feel compelled to play them as a result, then Iā€™d support introducing some setup mechanics to promote variety, but outright banning them would be very disappointing to me. Partially, because I donā€™t like reducing the possibility space for games, but also because having particularly strong cards in and of itself can lead to more interesting dynamics in a FFA environment.

One of the more interesting aspects of FFA, IMO, is the potential for players to cooperate in defense against a common threat. Having some cards generally recognized as particularly threatening creates an incentive for that kind of cooperation. Like, take Black vs. Blue, Blue has tools to interfere with some of Blackā€™s more threatening options, but Black dominates because it can more efficiently apply direct pressure. But, in FFA, if other players apply direct pressure to Black, it can create space for Blue to shut down Blackā€™s global threats. That kind of dynamic isnā€™t possible in 1v1, and is one of the biggest appeals of FFA to me.

Essentially, I prefer checking strong cards through diplomacy and cooperation rather than by limiting player choice. I know Iā€™m the one who suggested it, but even the idea of assigning players the same starting deck to try to level the playing field isnā€™t very appealing to me, now that Iā€™ve had more time to think about it, because it would preclude all interaction between different starter decks. Randomly assigning each player a unique starter would be better, I think. The player who gets Black may have an advantage, but they should also have a target painted on them.

2 Likes