Playing the Game

I have an interesting observsation about myself. I actually do not like scheduled match play. Every time I have a scheduled match, I think to myself that I have a million things to do today and playing this match is going to be a pain in the ass.

However, this story is not a negative one. Once I get into the match, I enjoy it. I cannot understand why I tend to think so negatively about being “forced” to play until I actually start playing.

This might just be a weird psychological quirk that is inherent to only me. This raises the question. Does anyone else think along similar lines?

7 Likes

I intentionally schedule matches in the evening so I am done with my schoolwork for the day anyway so as to ensure the match doesn’t turn my schedule upside down. I would probably feel that way if I was squeezing it in the middle of my lunch period or something.

1 Like

I think only when I have emergency affairs conflicting to the match, I will be down.
Or sometimes addicted to other boardgames like TTA and Agricola or dota chess, and find I have a yomi match, ‘Oh why I have a yomi match! Alright just play it.’ And the same thing happens – enjoy the yomi match!
The most efficient solution I think is to finish all your other things and foucs on yomi that match time.

1 Like

Hmm. I guess I’m neutral to forgetful about the match, tbh. So many times I’ll just go “OH YEAH I HAVE A MATCH TODAY”. Sometimes I remember to prep. Generally a good time during the match.

I generally just jump into the match when it’s time. How does one prepare for a Yomi match?

I’ve found it occasionally helpful to go see what characters my opponent plays frequently/well, just to have a sense of what I’m up against.

2 Likes

I identify with this a great deal, it’s part of why I stepped back from Yomi last year. I assumed it was because I had overcommitted my time but I’m beginning to think it could just be a personality quirk :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Any matchup scouting on my part will happen well before the day of. That’s assuming I do any, as most of my opponents so far are people I play against in casual sets so I already know what they play.

That’s why I like to schedule my matches in the evening and nighttime so I can prepare for it mentally and also have fun without feeling like the match is interrupting anything.

3 Likes

You’re back in Yomi? Maybe I should play again.

Just to crush you.

5 Likes

Fluffiness: Bringer of adorable Doom (B.A.D)

4 Likes

Come at me bro

5 Likes

I used to do this alot, as well. During the last few years, I hardly ever do this. That is for a couple of reasons. At this time, most of the players I know relatively well, so I do not need to worry because I have seen it all before. Another reason is that I have been more lazy and do not mind if there is a small chance that I might be surprised. I figure that I can adapt pretty quickly.

There is one thing that I probably should do more often. I should probably look at the MU chart to see if my opponent has any personal weakness against certain characters. I don’t see myself doing that, but that would probably be the best preparation that I could do.

3 Likes

To me, there are two things at play.

1. Being an EU player, scheduling is inherently harder, and requires more of a compromise from both players, which in turn makes figuring out when to play an even more challenging issue.

2. Contacting and scheduling is breaking into a social boundery, which often is never part of my other online gaming experience. Pressing “Next match” in Tekken 7 online does not require me to figure out who I am going to play, and when. It is a casual, straight forward thing. Having to reach out to a specific player, get them to agree on a set time to play, which is not the casual straight forward experience I am often seeking when I am playing games.

And this is why I did the fast timer tournaments I did, back in the day, because it skips the entire “scheduling” part of it all, and only sets a time for people to show up, and then people (here at least) mostly can read a challonge bracket for themselves, and play their next opponent.

5 Likes