Northern Virginia players/tournament interest?

@Deep6er Ugh those last 2 games fried my brain. But thanks again for sticking around and playing. Appreciated getting the extra work in against the deck.

Also talked to Ryjak. The HP counter was his but. Or the neutral worker.

So if someone left a neutral worker card behind at Curio yesterday let me or someone else know. I have it currently.

ā€œUgh those last 2 games fried my brain.ā€

Thereā€™s a good story hereā€¦ start with who won and the decks used.

Nowhere in the patrol zone rules does it state that you have to target them with spells. It specifically only refers to attacking. Additionally, under the glossary definition for target, it doesnā€™t state the necessity of targeting things in the patrol zone, either.

I donā€™t know where you got that idea, but itā€™s not in the rules.

Yeah, spells generally do not have to target things in the patrol zone unless they say otherwise (e.g. Entangling Vines or Scorch).

I had to read through the entire rulebook (mostly page 5) to get that the rules are completely silent on Spells and Abilities, and thus the stance they can target anything.

Game rules are procedures and tell you what you can do; the baseline position is you canā€™t do anything unless the rules state you can. While the rules tell you the procedure for casting a spell or using an ability, they do not specifically cover how to apply it. Instead, each card tells you what you can target, such as Patroller, Hero, Unit, Upgrade, or Building. (I think that is all the Card Types; they arenā€™t specifically definedā€¦ Probably why a lot of people donā€™t understand Heroes are not Units)

I basically have zero experience playing this kind of card game, but a lot of experience playing RTS games. Thematically, the Patrol Zone is the no manā€™s land beteeen bases; everything you put in the Patrol Zone is intended to interdict your enemyā€™s forces so they canā€™t attack you buildings or resources. To me, thematically, it doesnā€™t make sense that some units can essentially attack whatever they want despite these interdicting forces, while others can only attack Patrollers.

Now I understand the Rules, and will have to learn to adjust my gameplay accordingly; thank you.

1 Like

From my PM to Sirlin about the Flagbearer question that came up Saturday.

1 Like

So, it looks like we have a small group, thatā€™s slowly starting to grow. Thereā€™s a Board Game Meet Up being hosted at Curio Cavern on Sunday, November sixth. Iā€™m trying to get the word out to as many people as possible to come and just play games. Iā€™d also really like it if we had a couple of people who were interested in teaching Codex to people.

Events like this are a great way to get more attention to the game, which is always good for increasing the player base. Would any of you be interested in coming to Curio on November sixth and be willing to teach/play Codex with people?

Itā€™s going to be a day set aside for board games, and thereā€™s a Facebook post being maintained where people will say what time theyā€™re planning on being there, and what games theyā€™re bringing (as well as relevant BGG links). If any of you are interested, post on here, and Iā€™ll update the Facebook post with the necessary data.

Fun fact: when I was at the front of the store, I heard a MtG player expressing concern about Codexā€¦ specifically that it might ā€œtake overā€. Heaven forbid a superior product displaces an existing product.

That said, Curio Cavernā€™s business model is dependant on MtG, even if the players and store owners arenā€™t aware of it. This is common in most FLGS right now, and Codex does present a threat to this model.

Unfortunate but true. Thats why I tend to bring Codex to Meetup Groups for general boardgaming.

Is anyone going to Curio today? Itā€™s a long drive, and I donā€™t want end up there by myself.

I wonā€™t make it to Curio today, but I might be at this next Thursday, 7pm.

Ashburn Boardgaming First Thursday Meetup

With Halloween happening, and me being called in to work, I donā€™t think thereā€™s going to be anybody available today.

Understood; thank you.

People interested in having another meetup? Iā€™ve been getting people into the game, but itā€™s important to continue showing support and a player base. I know that with holidays coming up, thatā€™s going to throw a wrench into plans, but I figure asking now is a good idea.

Glad to hear that people are getting this going in the NoVA area!

Is there anyone else that is more bound to the DC area? There has been netrunner in DC and in crystal city (metro-accessible from DC), and some tournaments at Labyrinth. Anyone trying to make this happen for Codex?

Iā€™m busy this weekend. Star Wars: Destiny Launch Party at Dream Wizards on Saturday and one at Huzzah Sunday. But Iā€™m still interested in tournament play.

Also for people asking about interest in DC play, Iā€™m at Dream Wizards most Wednesdayā€™s which is not too far from the White Flint metro station (Red Line).