New Player Reference Sheets

Jade Fox, Den’s Headmistress is totally capable of ending the game without building tech lab for Oathkeeper.

This is interesting, especially since I plan to main white in the future, but it’s too loose of a path for a beginner’s guide. For starters, I have no idea how I’d fit that on a single page. More importantly, the point of the recommended build orders, as @EricF noted, is for it to be “good enough” for a new player to be able to not spend the whole game being paralyzed by choices (this is also why more than half of the other side is about workers, since that’s the other thing that bogs down first games).

As an aside, my ideal is for each color’s build order to fare well against the other color from its expansion, so White needs to be set up to face Purple specifically. I don’t know if that was already a factor when you posted, but I think it’s worth stating clearly.

Oh, fair enough. I’ll revise it later focusing on those criteria.

That makes it a little easier (whoo! Porcupiiiiines)

1 Like

Is that because the Vortoss can’t stand how Cute that particular Animal is? :wink:

More because of my relentless hatred for Hyperions. =D

1 Like

A justified hatred, of course. I was both laughing and groaning when I realized that Hyperion is better most of the time than a 5/5 Indestructible unit…

An opponent without access to bounce, -1/-1, or polymorph is in more trouble against immortal than hyperion, but Hyperion is still pretty great.

2 Likes

Does White have any of those things? Obviously not Polymorph, but just off the top of my head I can’t think of any bounce or -1/-1 effects. Probably missing something obvious because I haven’t actually played White yet (or anything but Red, Green, and Starter), but in that case maybe it would be good to expect Immortal when making the White build order.

Edit: Nevermind, Entangling Vines exists. Crisis averted!

2 Likes

I was also going to say white can just go around with invisible ninjas or unstoppable collosi. Also flyers.

2 Likes

2nd try:

Turn 1
Bird’s Nest
Sparring Partner

Turn 2
Rambasa Twin
Entangling Vines

Turn 3:
Porcupine
Glorious Ninja

Turn 4:
Porcupine
Glorious Ninja/Fox’s Den School

Turn 5:
Choose the best finisher(s):
Earthquake
Oathkeeper of Kor Mountain
Jade Fox

2 Likes

This is much closer to what I want/need, thanks! There might still need to be some compromises in order to fit it on the page, but at least it’s possible now. Once I’ve made a rough draft, I’ll add it to the first post.

Edit: It’s up! @Zejety, I didn’t want to make a Tech Lab part of a beginner’s first game, nor did I want them putting 2 copies of a Legendary unit in their deck (both of those seem like they’d be better for semi-experienced players), so I added an Earthquake. It makes sense when you consider that Bird’s Nest was the first tech, so there’s been opportunities to ping their tech buildings all game. Still, let me know if you disagree, of course!

2 Likes

White Guide has 2 Rambasa… Wrong picture for the 2nd one.

Ah, I knew I missed something! I was rushing because I knew I wouldn’t have Internet on my laptop for half an hour while on the bus. I should be able to fix it in 15 minutes, or you should be able to edit it yourself if you’re on a computer.

Edit: Nice to know how Google Docs handles someone suggesting an edit! It even sent a notification to my phone. With that in mind, a simple mistake like that is something anyone can fix easily, so I’d appreciate it if everyone did that instead of bringing it up on the forums. Thanks!

1 Like

Sorry. Being on a phone isn’t exactly intuitive for me.

Ah, that wasn’t directed at you specifically! You did fine! I just want the discussion here to be about ways to improve the content and presentation, so in the future little mistakes like that should just be edited immediately by anyone who notices them. And yeah, the phone interface for Google Docs is wonky enough that I don’t even try to edit them away from my computer…

2 Likes

I can take a stab at Blue and Black build orders that actually stack up okay against one another, as I’ve played that matchup quite a bit. I’ll also include a brief color-specific strategy tips section, if that can fit on the page anywhere, and I welcome critiques of these build orders!

#Black

Turn 2
Dark Pact
Bone Collector

Turn 3
Shadow Blade
Hooded Executioner

Turn 4:
Metamorphosis
Cursed Crow

Turn 5:
Gorgon
Cursed Crow

Turn 6:
Death and Decay
Abomination

Generally Strategy Tips

Use Vandy and Garth early. Build a hero’s hall on turn 2 or 3. Abuse Dark Pact for card advantage. Aim to have Vandy maxbanded along with a tech 2 building by turn 5 or 6, to cast Metamorphosis from hand with 2-3 heroes on the board. Use Garth Maxband to fetch a Cursed Crow from discard.

#Blue

Turn 2
Scribe
Brave Knight

Turn 3
Free Speech
Tax Collector

Turn 4:
Insurance Agent
Guardian at the Gates

Turn 5:
Insurance Agent
Free Speech

Turn 6:
Lawbringer Gryphon x2 or Swap one for Mind Control

Generally Strategy Tips

Build a Tower early. Reputable Newsman early and block 0 to stop dark pact. Squad Lead Traffic Director since he can’t be deteriorated. Play slow and patient, use Scavenger and Technician. Blue has a hard time against Black!

1 Like

Nice! Now I know what I’m doing tomorrow afternoon.

I’ll see what I can do about fitting it in. Maybe if we accept that the Starter and Core Set sheets are the true “New Player” sheets, and the others don’t need to talk about general strategy, the second page could be used for these more specific strategy tips.

Should the second page of the expansion reference sheets have advice specific to those matchups?

• General strategy only – keep it consistent with the Core Set!
  • More specific strategy – they already know the basics!

0 voters

I think adding more sheets is a slippery slope, as it’s really tempting to prescribe a different tech tree for a color

• Going as P1 vs P2
  • Going against X color deck vs Y
  • Going for an early rushdown (every color can do tech1 rushdowns) vs stall for lategame playstyle

etc.

I would lobby for keeping it to 1 double-sided sheet, just wondered if the the teching section can decrease image sizes a bit for a “remarks on strategy for this deck” at the bottom. I honestly think it’d suit the core set sheets as well, as it might not be obvious to a beginner why those cards fit well together (I had to ask in the rules thread to Deathtouch + Swift Strike from Ferocity really works like you hope it does, and this was after I’d played 10 games of red vs green in addition to other mono-color matchups! ^_^)

Curious as to why you chose law instead of peace

And surely Guardian of the Gates is one of the weakest tech 2s in the whole game?

1 Like