Knockdown Question

I was playing 4-player Puzzle Strike the other day, and this question came up:

If player A uses Knockdown on player B and then crashes a gem at B, can player C or D still counter-crash on B’s behalf?

I decided the answer was “yes,” because the way Knockdown is worded seems to suggest it really only affects the player specifically targeted by the chip. But, that interpretation makes Knockdown a lot weaker in multiplayer (I think), so I was curious if it actually prevents any counter-crashing by or on behalf of the targeted player.

EDIT:
For easy reference, this is what the Knockdown chip says:

+:purplearrow:
Chosen opponent discards a chip and can’t play :pspurpleshield: reactions this turn.

3 Likes

That sounds like how I would have ruled it, especially since the online version even uses the same knockdown icon as in Yomi for the targeted player (which to me implies that the knocked down player can’t counter-crash because they’re on the ground and unable to do anything but get up, much like in a fighting game). That said, I don’t have a definitive answer.

Would it be possible to test that in the online version somehow?

2 Likes

Probably, if we set up a 3 or 4 player game. But I don’t own a digital version of Puzzle Strike. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It is half off on Steam right now… :wink:

1 Like

Yes, that’s how the rules work. Knockdown is still pretty good though.

3 Likes