IYL8 - Morningstar - Match Reports

Why would I call you one of the best Rook players, mystictraitor? :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Round 2
Zqxx v @undergroundmonorail
3ā€“0

:midori::psfist::pschip::setsuki:

Did some very, very light player research on @undergroundmonorail and found out they played Setsuki. This honestly had me a little nervous, since I find Setsuki difficult to play against, but I led with Midori and proceeded to have 3 very clean games.

Thanks for the set!

3 Likes

mysticjuicer 3 - 2 Djister

:lum: :pschip: :psfist: :rook: CMBā€™d to oblivion
:lum: :psfist: :pschip: :rook: managed to barely not completely fail the checkmate
:lum: :pschip: :psfist: :rook: the longest game Iā€™ve ever played
:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :rook:
:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :rook: managed to scum out the set

ggs Djister, you had me beat psychologically, I had to try for coinflips

11 Likes

The whiplash from game 3 (half an hour) to game 4 (5 minutes) was so strong I think I pulled something.

2 Likes

fsteak vs Nopethebard

:quince: :psfist: :pschip: :lum:
:quince: :pschip: :psfist: :rook:
:quince: :psfist: :pschip: :rook:
:quince: :psfist: :pschip: :gwen: (Life totals were 90 vs 45 before Nope decided to concede)

I had amazing draws for most of the set, sorry about that. I know Quince can be a really tilting character to fight but GGs.

6 Likes

@mysticjuicer was back with some more Yomi action. Very hype Yomi action, too, if I do say so myself. Mentally and physically draining, yet full of mind games and adrenaline. Full of emotion. Full of emotions. This is Yomi.

GGs, my friend. You outplayed me. Iā€™m sorry I got salty, thatā€™s not how I want to be. I feel like Rook would be disappointed in my saltiness, not so much in my defeat. I feel like thatā€™s the most important lesson to remember from this set (there were other lessons, too). :slight_smile:

Iā€™m happy to see you again after way too long, buddy. @mysticjuicer and me, duking it out in an epic Yomi set, with spectators providing even more fun and gravity to the proceedings. Balance has been restored.

7 Likes

You donā€™t have anything to apologize for. I can count the number of losses I took and didnā€™t get upset at on one hand. :stuck_out_tongue: ggs man, Iā€™m really happy to see you playing again. :heart:

4 Likes

mastrblastr 3 - 0 @Accel
:onimaru: > :midori: pretty clean game had a god hand
:onimaru: > :midori: got 52ā€™d but won
:onimaru: > :midori: i pressed attack i think 9 times in a row. I got undercut a lot but guard crushed a lot. 3 guard crushed 2 block which feels nice.

GGs Accel sorry I couldnā€™t stay to talk postmatch

4 Likes

@mastrblastr

GG. Thatā€™s quite a matchup to learn. At a certain point Iā€™m looking at a hand of 2s, 10s, and Js with no face and thinking ā€œOk, this is my life now.ā€.

4 Likes

I find that to be the case any time I hit the ground as Zane.

mysticjuicer 3 - 0 ohithere

:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :jaina:

4 Likes

Throwing the report in here for the scoreboard, but first yā€™all really wanna watch this video.

CarpeGuitarrem vs. @Djister

Match Results

:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :rook:
:onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :rook:
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :rook:

Absolutely incredible, my favorite series of Yomi so far, also Iā€™m officially scary Oni now

10 Likes

Whoa, nice! :open_mouth: I loved this set too.

GGs and thanks for the games, man. Youā€™re a strong player.

Iā€™m really glad that @mysticjuicer (complete with swag bathrobe) was along for the ride, providing expert analysis and even more excitement to the proceedings. Thanks for casting this set, juicer! You might want to check out game 3 again, though. :wink:

7 Likes

Hobusu vs @undergroundmonorail

:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :zane:
:setsuki: :psfist: :pschip: :zane:
:setsuki: :pschip: :psfist: :zane:
:degrey: :psfist: :pschip: :zane:

Final score: Hobusu 3 ā€“ monorail 1
Hobusu wins

A fun set! The last two games in particular were very close, I was starting to worry that her joke about a reverse-runback might come true. I had a feeling as I switched characters that I was technically going into a harder matchup, but I felt like switching things up and knew I could switch back if needed. Apparently I keep running into players who havenā€™t ever fought against one of my mains, so DeGrey turned out to be a fairly good choice for that reason, haha!

This is a bit of a cop-out, but in order to continue the theme of linking mysticjuicerā€™s videos for the benefit of relatively new playersā€¦

This playlist has all of his commentary on tournament matches that heā€™s done over the years. Itā€™s infeasible to watch them all (edit: for most people) since there are over 200 videos (enough that the embedded player canā€™t display them all and thinks there are exactly 200 instead) and theyā€™re often long videos because of how Yomi is, but even just skimming the list and watching ones that catch your eye would be a great way to get lots of good Yomi advice from his analysis of real tournament matches!

4 Likes

Lies. I managed to watch through all of them, it just took me on the order of a year to do it. =)

4 Likes

Round 3
Zqxx v @vengefulpickle
3ā€“0

:argagarg::psfist::pschip::zane:

I take a couple combos to the face while poking out many throws with Qs, Js, and 2s. Once weā€™re both around around 35 health, I manage to get Bubble Shield up, and then I play 23 damage combo (K+ -> 6 -> J), and then I checkmate him when heā€™s at 1 life with Protective Ward.

:argagarg::psfist::pschip::bbb:
@vengefulpickle switches into BBB. At first this goes OK for me, but I eventually find myself in a hand of nearly nothing but throws. He then proceeds to put me to range and deal a lot of damage while I am helpless on my throw-heavy hand. At one point I played a 4 dodge to avoid his Q, but since everything else in my hand was a throw (and 1 joker), I couldnā€™t even follow it up to end range! :joy: :sob:

However, I use my Joker to end range on a subsequent turn, I get Bubble Shield up, and I finally start drawing (and playing) lots of attacks for damage and chip.

:argagarg::psfist::pschip::bbb:
I start this game with all 4 Qs and 1 J, and I keep drawing Js and 2s on subsequent turns, and I keep playing 2.4 and 2.2 speed attacks over and over. @vengefulpickle keeps playing attacks and throws, assuming I will either blink first or run out of fuel, but my draws are bountiful and my attacks are never-ending.

I eventually do run out of range-stopping moves, but @vengefulpickle runs his range-setting normal attack into my Bubble Shield. I then use the Joker in my hand to escape range. My draws in this particular game were really incredible.

Good games! Thanks for the set.

5 Likes

Hey, all. Weā€™re living through extraordinary times, and the last thing you need is stress due to video games. So, if anyone needs an extension for any reason to get a match played, let me know. Weā€™re still plenty early in the season, so weā€™ve got lots of flexibility.

Stay well!

(Boo, forum)

6 Likes

ohithere 3 - 2 @CarpeGuitarrem

:chibijaina: :psfist: :pschip: :chibizane:
:chibijaina: :pschip: :psfist: :chibizane:
:chibijaina: :psfist: :pschip: :chibizane:
:chibijaina: :pschip: :psfist: :chibionimaru:
:chibijaina: :psfist: :pschip: :chibionimaru:

Very fun games and some extremely fortunate series of draws for me in a couple of them! Thanks, carpe!

8 Likes

Ggs! Jaina has a lot of really scary tools, and you were very willing to dodge at low hand, a lot more than I expected! Trapped me in some nasty endgame setups.

3 Likes

Hey, you overcame the Oni mu! Glad to see youā€™re having fun, ohithere :slight_smile: