IYL7 - Morningstar Sanctuary - Match Reports

Carpe vs. @GutterOwl
:onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :persephone: Just got wrecked this game, I haven’t played this MU in a while and Persephone got scary!
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :persephone: Made some adjustments, thought through options, and I managed to pull this one out with patience
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :persephone:
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :persephone: So what absolutely killed me about this game was that I Final Authority’d Gutter’s On Your Knees, but I didn’t have the right suit to use my Qs, and Gutter was at 9 HP…I had to use my K instead, leaving Gutter at 1 HP

GGS! There were some close games here, I ended the last one with 19 HP! I’m glad I did my homework on this matchup today, it helped me get a really clear picture of the fight.

2 Likes

gutterowl 3-1 @Hobusu

oni > degrey
just in hobu’s head, over and over. i’ve eaten enough pilebunkers to guess the initial rhythm.

oni > degrey
starts looking more like it should, until I drop raw KKKK and disbelieve the facedown. can’t remember if i got a clockwork too. pretty good way to get back in the running, and won the low-life scramble with a good guess.

oni < degrey
and then ghost ripose and oni has a bit of a cry. you know how it is.

perse > degrey
incredibly canon. power lash undercuts round 1 pilebunker, and then degrey stood up like twice in the rest of the match. i gave you that ghost, boy, and i can take her away.

ggs hobusu.

6 Likes

this explains everything

3 Likes

I was just wondering, what happens to the match results of the players who dropped out partway? Are those results just scratched out, or do they affect how wins and losses are weighted?

I’ll have to think about it. I think there are arguments both for just treating their remaining games as forfeits, and for just completely removing them from the record.

I think the matches played and forfeits should count. Usually, if an individual forfeits their record was poor. That makes me feel less sympathetic to someone who lost to the forfeiting player while everyone else gets free wins. I can only think of one occasion in seven seasons where someone forfeited with a winning record late in the season. I am willing to deal with this possibility. We discussed this during Season 1 and came to the conclusion to count all games.

That was my recollection of how it had been handled previously, and my inclination on how to handle it now.

gutterowl 3-1 vs @vengefulpickle

perse > setsuki well that’s one i’m not used to winning.
perse > setsuki i started just reading throw in neutral like 90% of the time, and i was usually right. went a long way.
perse < setsuki look math is going to start occurring at some point, and 'seph is a delicate flower.
oni > setsuki opening sets Q gets blue bursted. still relying really hard on those neutral throw reads, and oni crunches them much more efficiently.

ggs, yo.

4 Likes

#SetsukiIsAGrappler

1 Like

And see here, I thought I was pushing red buttons too frequently.

EDIT: At least, that’s what I remember feeling while we were playing. Clearly I need to do better at analyzing my range midgame.

Carpe vs. @Leontes
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :midori:
:onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :midori:
:onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :midori:

The stakes were pretty high for me, because this division has been dangerous down to the end! These were all a blur, but in summary: lots of Guard Crushing, lots of FA, having a 1.0 speed A attack makes Oni really really happy in this MU, and game 3 I went something like 6 turns without FA against a Dragon Form. And in a complete reversal, I didn’t throw a single time, because Oni normals are basically throws that also beat grappler throws! ggs!

3 Likes

Congrats on first seed @CarpeGuitarrem ! :open_mouth:

5 Likes

:open_mouth: Thanks, I’m kinda in shock myself…

6 Likes

mi-go hunter vs @flagrantangles

:jaina: :psfist: :pschip: :geiger: I didn’t expect him to open Geiger! I was doing fine in the early/mid game neutral till late game where he started threatening (and hitting) with cycloid a ton. Double jokers bailed me out even though he did dodge my first GB attempt, the second worked when he thought I was checkmated and KD.
:jaina: :pschip: :psfist: :geiger: He had no reason to switch out of this mu and wisely stayed. The game ended up pretty close but I ran out of fuel and became vulnerable to geiger’s options. Got checkmated when I ran out of dodges at 2 HP while giggler had time kick.
:menelker: :psfist: :pschip: :geiger: Most of the game was disastrous for me, I was staring down a massive 60+ lifelead and accidentally powered up for J. However my one joker bailed me out and I could grab two aces for DSD. I land it raw, and the rest of the game was closing it out with Q and a late 7 throw.
:menelker: :pschip: :psfist: :quince: I was trounced here, even when I landed a t2 bonecracker and a bonecracker on his K spin after that! He had a good non-exploitable hand and spun me right round like a record baby.
:jaina: :psfist: :pschip: :quince: Went back to Ms. Thighs and landed a 23456 straight pretty early (topdecked the 5 with normal draw). Got 3 10s in discard, had a joker, and a lot of damage in my hand. Not much Quince can do in this situation when Jaina is set up with tons of explosive damage and makes him bleed with every dodge. Closed it out with an unstable power checkmate!

GGs! Was a pleasure playing against you as usual! I will update this post with a video recording on this match soon.

7 Likes

mastrblastr 3 - 1 @Nopethebard
:onimaru: > :menelker: clean and uneventful victory. life bar drains fast from all combat choices.
:onimaru: < :argagarg: kept it even to ~50 vs 40 hp then didn’t win a combat after that.
:gloria: > :argagarg: close game. He got a shield I popped it, I took it very slowly and cautiously, always staying 2 combats from death instead of possible max damage lethal.
:gloria: > :menelker: perfect aside from T1 K vs K clash.
GGs!

3 Likes

By t3 of that last game I was mentally broken. I realized how much I was tilting, took a deep breath, decided to pull back and block, but it was thrown. I tilted again and never recovered. I always find Gloria very demoralizing to be losing against. GGS, Masterblastr

3 Likes

Also, at least in Yomi, my tilted is less angry and more a blend of panic, confusion, and despair. Competitive gaming is very emotional for me.

2 Likes

But let’s be fair, you yourself play Argagarg. :stuck_out_tongue:

Only to counter Oni, BBB, and Leontes. And sometimes other grapplers.

1 Like

gutterowl 3-0 @mastrblastr

perse > gwen
perse > gwen
perse > gwen

vortexes, man.

i want to give a shoutout to mastrblastr here, who put up with an unreasonable amount of my bullshit trying to get this scheduled. i have been in stress-illness-bereavement hell for most of these past couple months, and was absolutely shit at communicating it. i’m sorry for dodging so damn much. ggs.

5 Likes