• Mercyful Fate
  • GutterOwl

Rules

See the main IYL 7 thread for rules.

Bracket

2 Likes

gutterowl totally robs @Leontes blind 3-2

oni < mid
make early strides with full unga oni. it doesn’t last.

oni > mid
until it does.

oni < mid
until it doesn’t. about to lose. hand me my leather.

perse > mid
got mid to sit early, and then i just kept looping knees. leontes managed to block up several times, but kept anticipating throws and eating aces. died with like four dodges in hand.

perse > sets
okay, so this one was a bullshit win for me, and i almost conceded to be a good sport. but leontes told me to take the w. leontes got a turn one confirm into full string with double aces, but he accidentally fed the aces to starlight kick. (he even backed up with the undo button…and did it again because of timer.) so that was 11 damage he shorted himself. he then proceded to near perfect me down to 7hp.

leontes: k so “technically dead”
gutterowl: yep
leontes: but mostly still alive
gutterowl: yeah that’s a pretty accurate description of me in general.

i manage a lucky kd off dodge and, with nothing to lose, burn down to 4 cards to make double ace. then i score a knockdown with a lucky guess, with leontes landing on 2 cards. and then perse happens, as perse is wont to do, and i manage a full runback.

ggs leontes. i’m used to winning on random execution errors in guilty gear, but it’s kinda weird when it happens in a card game. x_x

6 Likes

Southpaw Hare vs @flagrantangles

:gloria: :pschip::psfist: :valerie:
:rook: :psfist::pschip: :valerie:
:rook: :psfist::pschip: :persephone:
:rook: :pschip::psfist: :geiger:
:zane: :psfist::pschip: :geiger:

Southpaw Hare 3 - 2 Flagrantangles
Southpaw Hare wins!

4 Likes

W1 CarpeGuitarrem vs. @MercyfulFate619
:quince: :pschip: :psfist: :zane:
:onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :zane:
:onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :zane:

MercyfulFate 3-0

Well, that’s an awakening. Got checkmated by K twice after getting almost-lethaled. The Quince game was rough, I didn’t really have any sort of foothold or way to recover; I got some good damage in on the Onimaru games, but I just couldn’t get my head in the situation fast enough to do much damage, and I got badly punished for throwing out Guard Crush attempts. ggs, I figured you’d block at least once or twice, but I guess I figured wrong. :joy:

4 Likes

@CarpeGuitarrem
Keep your head up brother like i told you,I’ll be seeing you again in the playoffs,I am a man on a mission i came out of retirement.

@Leontes @Hydro
I got my eyes focused on you and any others that stands in my way (TIME FOR TEA)

2 Likes

vengefulpickle vs @Hydro

:vendetta::pschip::psfist::argagarg: I pick Ven as an option select against @Hydro’s Arg and Troq mains. Then I draw no Kings, and eat lots of damage
:vendetta::pschip::psfist::argagarg: I draw Kings. It doesn’t help.
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::argagarg: I play Fast Attack/Throw. Arg melts.
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::argagarg: See game 3
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::argagarg: See game 4

Good games, @Hydro! Best of luck in the rest of the season!

3 Likes

TokH vs Nopethebard
3-1
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::troq:
:setsuki::pschip::psfist::troq:
:geiger::psfist::pschip::troq:
:geiger::psfist::pschip::troq:

GGs!

3 Likes

I thought about switching to Menelker but I was worried about your counter pick. I should’ve done that.

2 Likes

vengefulpickle vs @MercyfulFate619

:setsuki::psfist::pschip::zane: I wasn’t where in the carousel he would open, so I hedged, and it work out.
:setsuki::pschip::psfist::zane: I got bonked for a whole lotta damage
:troq::psfist::pschip::zane: my turn to ride the merry-go-round. I manage to navigate the MA that was lingering in his hand.
:troq::pschip::psfist::zane: I regret my decision to not play the gold burst on the turn he anarchy’s.
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::zane: I decided to go out the way I came in, and manage to close out the set despite some early damage.

5 Likes

@vengefulpickle , please put the brackets at the top of the match reports page. This would make it more convenient for people to find. Thanks.

2 Likes

flagrantangles wins 3-2 versus @TokH
:quince::pschip::psfist::argagarg:
:quince::psfist::pschip::argagarg:
:quince::pschip::psfist::argagarg:

It’s been a long while since I struggled with this matchup. TokH put up an excellent fight. Very patient. GGs TokH!

4 Likes

vengefulpickle vs @Nopethebard

:onimaru::pschip::psfist::troq: I guess right with the preemptive counterpick, but his Troq is clearly more experienced than my Oni
:vendetta::psfist::pschip::troq: I manage to eke it out with a late game acro against his Eagle Totem, but only by the skin of my teeth.
:vendetta::pschip::psfist::menelker: He rofl-stomp perfects me
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::menelker: The crutch comes out, and I’m able to out speed him enough times to win the battle of the glass cannons
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::quince: The ninja ducks under some heavy hits to close out the set.

3 Likes

I should mention that switching to Quince was a terrible idea that I almost immediately regretted. I think I could have won if I had switched to Troq instead, but I didn’t for some reason.

CarpeGuitarrem vs @Nopethebard

:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :troq: I happily bonked the beats with a 8-attack
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :troq:
:onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :menelker: Some miserable stuff between discards and banishment
:onimaru: :pschip: :psfist: :menelker: Almost a perfect, save 2 chip damage from a Q
:onimaru: :psfist: :pschip: :menelker: I finally managed to adjust and pulled it off!

GGS! Menelker can be a crushing character to lose against, especially when you had my number with Bonecracker discards!

3 Likes

mi-go hunter vs @SouthpawHare

:jaina: :psfist: :pschip: :bbb: Jaina does Jaina things and robot is sad
:jaina: :psfist: :pschip: :gloria: This matchup can spiral out of control for either side but it remains closely contested and I pull a win.
:jaina: :pschip: :psfist: :zane: Oof ouch Zane hurts. I forgot C+D was a thing and my good hand with aces and a joker was ruined.
:jaina: :psfist: :pschip: :zane: I still like this matchup so I stick with Jaina and win with gorilla damage.

GGs! Unlucky that you didn’t draw a joker that set. I still tried to play around for the possibility of one because Jaina damage is so burstable.

4 Likes

gutterowl 1-3 @MercyfulFate619

perse < zane
oni > zane
oni < zane
oni < zane

would write up a more extensive report, but i’m dog sick and need to lay down. short version is, we both played the you’ll-blink-first strat and it paid out better for zane. game 3 in particular, i was certain he’d run out of dodges in a 3-card hand, like five turns in a row.

looking back, i never really put throws in my range as oni, because i kept thinking, “okay, mercy’s definitely gonna read a frustration throw now.” when i’d not actually conditioned him to ever believe in it.

ggs

5 Likes

vengefulpickle vs @flagrantangles

:setsuki::psfist::pschip::valerie:
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::valerie: Victory by deck-out. Last turn had Sets at 18, Val at 1, and Val won combat with a dodge, but didn’t have the juice to take the kill before SoF drew the last 4 cards in the deck.
:setsuki::psfist::pschip::valerie:

@flagrantangles reports that he has some bizarro draws in the first two games. They were still all mighty close.

GGs!

3 Likes

I know that feel all too well. Specifically against Mercy’s Zane.

2 Likes

I just use Troq.

3 Likes

flagrantangles wins 3-2 vs @CarpeGuitarrem
:persephone::psfist::pschip::troq:
:persephone::psfist::pschip::troq:
:persephone::pschip::psfist::troq:
:onimaru::pschip::psfist::troq:
:onimaru::psfist::pschip::troq:

Turns out that depriving Troq of his blocks and then hitting him is REALLY good. Also, guard crushing throws is WILDLY effective.

GGs CarpeGuitarrem!

5 Likes