Codex Deluxe Price

Thanks for all the advice guys!

I would not recommend the Codex sleeves. Both my friend and myself ordered sleeves with the deluxe set and had hundreds of sleeves that were cut to short to use. We both recieved replacements, but even those had sleeves cut to short. Unfortunately, Iā€™d recommend getting dragon shield or Super/Hyper mats.

1 Like

Because I am sleeving a board game and not a CCG where a single card costs $80, Iā€™m ok with cards peeking out of sleeves by sub-1mm amounts. It is annoying that the sleevesā€™ dimensions vary so much though, even within a single box. So I would agree with this recommendation.

Oh, thatā€™s a bummer. I got the sleeves as well and all mine were fine.

For me the Codex sleeves were the only disappointment from Sirlin games ever. Not because of size (all mine fit well) but because for whatever reason they stick to the binders. I switched to dragon shields and they have never stuck once. Iā€™d only recommend the official sleeves if you want to have opaque sleeves with the Codex logo and you arenā€™t planning on using the binders.

Luckily I was still able to make use of the official sleeves. Theyā€™re currently on my PoD set.

Note that the ā€œitā€™s only $25 moreā€ argument only applies if you buy all the parts off sirlingames.

If you buy from somewhere which isnā€™t selling the parts at MSRP, the savings can be significant. I got the expansions for $26 each, and the starter for $16. The core set was $45 at a physical retail store. (You can find it cheaper online, too, but itā€™s sold out in most places.) Thatā€™s a total of $113 without the extra mats. (I got free shipping) Even adding in $50 for those very nice mats, I still come out way ahead.

The binders look amazing, itā€™s true - until you want to start playing randomized spec combinations, and then you would really like to have actual binders that you can remove pages from anyway to form your Codex (or, just put the cards in a box)

All of that said, Iā€™m still a little covetous of the deluxe set. Those monocolor binders are very pretty. But Iā€™m on a budget for the next few months (massive unexpected car repair) so saving about $100 was definitely worth it to me.

Considering the costs associated with most other games of this type, even $225 is a steal. But $115 is ludicrously cheap.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a huge difference there, Did you buy them off amazon? Or did you use another online retailer?

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/searchresults?q=codex is where I got the expansions and starter from. The core set is listed at $32.50 but out of stock.

They do take quite a while to ship, but I figure by the time I actually get a group of people together to regularly play, itā€™ll show up.

1 Like

Question. I REALLY want to buy this game but goddamn the price point.

I will buy sleeves, but more on that later.

All cards is 155
If I buy a 3x4 binder it ā€œfits 480 cardsā€ though I donā€™t know if that could fit more. Thatā€™s 26ish
If I need to buy 2, thatā€™s 207 dollars.
Besides cheaper, itā€™s probably much more portable to bring 2 binders. Plus, as someone on BGG pointed out with this setup, a spec fits on a page alone, which mates interchanging specs very easy, regardless of color.

The deluxe set is 235, but mats!! And binders!!! Also allows for multiplayer, though worst case scenario with the other one I just print out a rough one.
I probably would not buy extra huge binders because of money. The box seems really nice and very efficient with its real estate but itā€™s HUGE. Iā€™d also be worried about it getting messed up in the trunk of my car by movement or if it got squashed, though I donā€™t know how durable it is.

So what should I do? As for sleeves, Amazon has 500 ultra pro clear sleeves for 6 bucks. That sounds impossibly good to pass up, especially because the game is so damn expensive.

Okay with the prices listed from that site itā€™s an amazing deal.
Did you game actually ever arrive? Was the site trustworthy??

I might jump in here to say that Iā€™ve started to see Codex for sale here in Australia for some good prices.

Gameology has the core set for $70 AUD

Keep in mind that you would likely spend a lot more in a year of Magic the Gathering, and then have to spend it again the next year. Also, in Codex you donā€™t end up throwing away half the cards (though you could probably throw away Arresting Constable and not notice).

4 Likes

I did itā€¦I bought it.

Coolstuffinc had everything for 112. Miniaturemarket had the expansions and starter, but the core set was out of stock. If they did have it, it would have been 102, but because free shipping for both sites is only for purchases over 100, I said screw it and paid 10 dollars extra now instead of waiting indefinitely for restocking

For anyone else out there, Coolstuffinc has 1 MORE IN STOCK for the core set.

3 Likes

Good for you!

Still, Iā€™d absolutely recommend picking up the official binders from Sirlin Games for the blue, black, white and purple factions. They are awesome and worth every cent.

2 Likes

theyā€™re really nice looking and the mats. THE MATS
If the deluxe set was cheaper I woulda man. Maybe Iā€™ll buy 1 mat or maybe 2.

Ah yes, the mats.

I have 3 mats. Combined with my Friend @GRAG we have 5 mats for a very stylish free for all.

We just need more Codex players in Kyoto to actually pull that off.

2 Likes

500 sleeves for 6 bucks is probably getting you garbage quality sleeves. In my experience, so-called ā€œpennyā€ sleeves these days typically cost about two cents each in meatspace, so thatā€™s probably what youā€™re getting. IMO penny sleeves feel awful to shuffle, so I would not want to sleeve my whole set with them. They work well enough for cards that you donā€™t shuffle, though, so I saved a little money and used penny sleeves for my hero, workers, and token cards.