Casual: Payprplayn vs. Hobusu

Ignore that post, I put it in the wrong thread! :sweat_smile:

Thatā€™s cool. I would have noticed something wrong when you tried to play Morningstar Flagbearer with the red starter. It is your turn though. Again, no pressure, I just thought that the mistake might have messed up your system for knowing when itā€™s your turn (i.e. by marking my turn as read), so I just thought Iā€™d remind you that I did actually take a turn.

Player 2 Turn 2

Tech, Starting Hand and Workers

TECH

Birdā€™s Nest
Calypso Vystari

STARTING HAND

Makeshift Rambaster
Bombaster
Mad Man
Scorch
Nautical Dog

WORKERS

Bloodburn
Scorch

Next Hand

Birdā€™s Nest
Bloodrage Ogre
Careless Musketeer
Mad Man

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($6)
Worker - ($5)
Rook kills Javelineer and takes 1 damage
Recruit Mad Man - ($4)
Mad Man and Ogre trade with Vandy, Rook gains 2 free levels
Build Tech I - ($2)
Recruit Bombaster - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 2, reshuffle, draw 4

[B]Board Info:[/B]
[B]In Patrol:[/B]

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Bombaster (2/2+a)
  • :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]:
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]:
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]:
  • :target: [I]Lookout[/I]:
    [B]In Play:[/B]
  • Garus Rook Lv. 3 (2/3)
    [B]Buildings:[/B]
  • :heart: Base HP: 20
  • :heart: Tech I HP: 5

[B]Economy Info:[/B]
[B]Cards:[/B]

• Hand: 4
  • Deck: 5
  • Disc: 0
    [B]Gold:[/B]
  • Gold: 0
  • Workers: 7
Thoughts

A pretty good turn! Killed Vandy before she became unreasonable and made it possibleto get higher level Rook without wasting tons of gold. Got Birdā€™s Nest in my new hand, and added Calypso Vystari as a 1-drop that synergises well with either an Earthquake-heavy strategy or Growth Tech II. Speaking of which, thatā€™s probably what Iā€™m going with.

@payprplayn, itā€™s your turn whenever youā€™re ready! No pressure on you either, but it has been almost 24 hours. Just want to make sure youā€™re aware. :wink:

Iā€™m aware. Iā€™ve been unwell. Iā€™ll take a turn tomorrow.

1 Like

Sorry for the delay. Youā€™ve got me in a tight spot yet again. What am I doing wrong?
P1T3

Tech StartingHand Workers

TECH
Ardraā€™s Boulder
Mythmaking

STARTING HAND
Dark Pact.
Jandra, the Negator
Sacrifice the Weak
Thieving Imp
Summon Skeletons

WORKERS
Poisonblade Rogue
Skeletal Archery
Summon Skeletons

NextHand

Deteriorate
Graveyard
Thieving Imp
Nimble Fencer

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($6)
Worker - ($5)
Sacrifice the Weak - ($3)
Jandra, the Negator - ($0)
Pestering Haunt deals 1 damage to rook and dies

Float ($0)
Discard 2, draw 3, reshuffle, draw 1

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Jandra, the Negator (3/3+A)

• Deck: 5
Thoughts

So, that happened. Now Itā€™s just trying to stop the bleeding, I think.

Edit: @Hobusu fixed also FYI, I will in general tend to be more available to take turns during the week (especially business hours) than I will during the evenings/weekends. I have a lot of downtime at work, and thatā€™s when I take my turns. On weekends and evenings, I often (but not always) have other things going on, so it might be hit or miss.

Might want to fix that! :wink:

Since fixing your turn wonā€™t affect anything I do, hereā€™s my turn!

Player 2 Turn 3

TECH

Surprise Attack
Entangling Vines

STARTING HAND

Birdā€™s Nest
Mad Man
Careless Musketeer
Bloodrage Ogre
Charge

WORKERS

Bloodburn
Scorch
Careless Musketeer

Next Hand

Nautical Dog
Calypso Vystari
Makeshift Rambaster
Pillage

Discard

Bombaster
Mad Man
Charge
Surprise Attack
Entangling Vines

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($7)
Worker - ($6)
Recruit Bloodrage Ogre - ($4)
Level Rook to Lv. 5 - ($2)
Rook casts Birdā€™s Nest, summoning Cucco and Pipi - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 2, draw 4

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Bloodrage Ogre (3/2+a)
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Cucco (1/1) (Flying)
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Garus Rook Lv. 5 (3/5) (Ignores lone patrollers when attacking)
  • :target: [I]Lookout[/I]: Pipi (1/1) (Flying)
  • Birdā€™s Nest

• Deck: 0
  • Disc: 5
  • Workers: 8
Thoughts

I think I should be able to lock this down pretty well. Going for Growth Tech II, and teching a spell for Rook and a spell for Zane. Both will be useful if Rook survives, but if he dies then Surprise Attack could help. Next turn Iā€™ll definitely tech Might of Leaf and Claw, but Iā€™m not sure whether to go for Blooming Ancient or another MoLaC to guarantee getting it fast.

Iā€™ve been working on my turn, but honestly, it already feels like I can resign here. I think Iā€™m teching wrong against you. Iā€™ve got to get my opening turns figured out. Your build starts strong. Would it bother you if I threw in the towel here? Iā€™m more interested in workshopping my early game than in trying to rescue a fairly desperate situation. Iā€™m not sure if my codex is flawed, or Iā€™m just misplaying it. Do you have any thoughts on that?

1 Like

I donā€™t think that your Codex is flawed ā€“ at least not enough to make this unwinnable. One thing I noticed looking over it is that the Black starter has few good blockers for the early game. Jandra is strong, but itā€™s hard to have her as part of a defensive line because most of your other units die with her, and aside from her and Thieving Imp (both of which cost 3) you donā€™t have anything with more than 1 HP. For that reason, if you stick with the Black starter you need to be careful about how you plan your first two turns, especially against the Red starter. Getting a hero kill is pretty important for Rook to be able to level up, so making sure I canā€™t kill your hero is essential.

Teching Nimble Fencer was good, since the threat of it was something I had to play around the whole game. Admittedly, your Tech I options are a bit awkward ā€“ Gargoyle and Twilight Baron both come with restrictions, Ardraā€™s Boulder doesnā€™t have any ATK unless Mythmaking is in play, and Star-Crossed Starlet is rarely useful without a Nimble Fencer to give it haste. Also, none of them cost 1 gold, and one of them costs as much a 4! Because of that, moneyā€™s going to be tight until youā€™ve got your Tech II down. Once you get to Tech II though, Terras Q is a huge threat (on par with many Tech III!) as long as you can combo with something to unshackle him.

On the other hand, Vandyā€™s biggest threat is probably Metamorphosis. Building a Heroesā€™ Hall and getting Vandy to max is a huge threat ā€“ for 9 gold, you can fetch her Ultimate from your Codex, summon Rook (and/or River), and cast it to have at least two invisible +2/+2 max-level heroes on your side. Even if you never actually cast Metamorphosis, the potential to use it will warp how your opponent has to play, which could give you a chance to work towards Terras Q.

Iā€™m fine with another round if you want to keep experimenting, or you could try switching one of your specs.

Iā€™d like to try a few more games with this spec before I give up on it. Why donā€™t you go first for the next game.

1 Like

OK. While it might not help directly with getting this one to work, you might want to check the Codex Resources thread (pinned in the Codex category) while you wait for my turn.

Alright. Iā€™ve already looked at a fair amount of that, but thereā€™s still quite a bit I havenā€™t checked out.

Full disclosure, Iā€™ll probably be pretty busy this week. Might only be able to do one turn each day for a while.

Player 1 Turn 1

Starting Hand and Workers

STARTING HAND

Pillage
Bloodburn
Scorch
Bombaster
Mad Man

WORKERS

Scorch

Next Hand

Charge
Careless Musketeer
Nautical Dog
Makeshift Rambaster
Bloodrage Ogre

Discard

Bloodburn
Bombaster
Pillage

Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid - ($4)
Worker - ($3)
Summon Rook - ($1)
Recruit Mad Man - ($0)
Mad Man pokes your Base, dealing 1 damage

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 5

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Garus Rook Lv. 1 (2/4+a)
  • Mad Man (1/1) (Haste)

• Hand: 5
  • Disc: 3
  • Workers: 5
Thoughts

Not the best opening hand, but itā€™ll do for now. Notably, poking his base means Earthquake canā€™t ā€œmissā€ it if I use it to destroy his tech buildings. Probably will play Ogre next turn.

The more I think about it, the more this does just seem like a bad matchup. I canā€™t see any way in this matchup to deal with early red pressure into Birdsā€™ Nest. Iā€™ve got limited options to deal with the nest as it is, and they all seem to fail against the red starter with t3 gunpoint taxman. In any case, I guess itā€™s worth 1 more try anyway.

P2T1

StartingHand Workers

STARTING HAND
Skeleton Javelineer
Sacrifice the Weak
Thieving Imp
Graveyard
Pestering Haunt

WORKERS
Pestering Haunt

NextHand

Skeletal Archery
Poisonblade Rogue
Jandra, the Negator
Summon Skeletons
Deteriorate

Discard

Graveyard
Sacrifice the Weak
Thieving Imp

Get Paid - ($5)
Worker - ($4)
Vandy - ($2)
Skeleton Javelineer - ($1)

Float ($1)
Discard 3, draw 5

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Skeleton Javelineer (1/1 +A)
  • :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]: Vandy lvl 1 (3/3)

• :heart: Base HP: 19

• Gold: 1
  • Workers: 6
Thoughts

Iā€™d like to do something different this game, delaying tech 1 for an early Heroesā€™ Hall. The trick is figuring out a way to deal with his pressure. I initially considered Thieving Imp, but spending 3 for a 2/2 in the face of all his potential threats seems sketchy, despite the appeal of the card advantage. Rook is the one thing I could play this turn that I can be pretty sure wonā€™t die (unless he spends all his gold on a scorch, or 2 cards AND alll his gold on a unit + Charge), so maybe thats the play. The question then is, do I build my HH now, and telegraph my plan, or do I take the risk of floating 2 gold against a possible pirate+pillage? Maybe Hero + Javelineer to block + float 1 is best here. Itā€™s flexible, safe(-ish), and doesnā€™t give anything away. Which hero, then? Vandy is the biggest threat, but doesnā€™t work toward the BN+TS plan I want. River is the weakest, but easy to level, and her max band opens up the option of maxing her + playing Jandra next turn. Rook is the safest in the short term, but the hardest to level for heals. Iā€™m going to try this with Rook, I think, then go Jandra + HH next turn. Tech is the last question. Iā€™d like to go BN + TS, but if I get Two Step without Birdā€™s Nest, I might not have 2 units to cast it on. If I go Dark Pact +BN I have a better chance of T3 BN, but he usually techs GPT, which could wreck this whole thing with its anti-air. The more I think about it, the more I think this is just a bad matchup. I think this is a decent codex, but going against early red pressure into flyers, itā€™s tough, since my only option against birdsā€™ nest is Gargoyle or my own Birdsā€™ nest, both of which lose to gunpoint taxman, and while I think this deck wants to be agressive, itā€™s hard to do that against the red starter, especially as player 2. Iā€™m tempted to play Skeletal archery, tbh, but summon skeletons is just bad value, and my only other skeleton is javelineer. Bottom line, itā€™s not worth it, and the fact that Iā€™m even considering it shows how difficult this matchup is. I do feel like Iā€™ve been getting bad draws, though.

oops, accidentally teched cards. Fixing it nowā€¦
@Hobusu fixed.

Fun Fact ā„¢: I didnā€™t even tech Gunpoint Taxman last game.

One thing I might suggest is to experiment with things other than Boulder & Mythmaking. You know Birds are coming, so maybe a Gargoyle would help? Take my advice with a grain of salt, though. Itā€™s not like Iā€™ve ever tried that codex.

1 Like

Fun fact: I havenā€™t teched both of those cards since the first game. Iā€™ve tried teching gargoyle, but it never seemed worth playing. Itā€™s a really expensive blocker against birds that keep coming back, so the only reasonable way I can see to use it against Birdsā€™ Nest is to go after Rook with it, but I can only do that if youā€™re not patrolling with your birds OR with taxman. I mean, I have plenty of ways to deal with a couple of 1/1 fliers (and Gargoyle isnā€™t the best of them), the issue is that that doesnā€™t really mean much unless I can take Rook out, and heā€™s beefy. The black starter is weak against heroes (according to the guide at least, and it sure feels that way to me), and unless I can get through, the nest will eventually take me down. Iā€™ve actually toyed with the idea of summon skeletons with skeletal archery, but that just seems too expensive. I think my best option is probably just my own birdsā€™ nest, but there are issues there too.

Player 1 Turn 2

TECH

Calypso Vystari
Birdā€™s Nest

STARTING HAND

Careless Musketeer
Charge
Makeshift Rambaster
Nautical Dog
Bloodrage Ogre

WORKERS

Scorch
Careless Musketeer

Next Hand

Nautical Dog
Charge
Bombaster
Birdā€™s Nest
Pillage

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($5)
Worker - ($4)
Build Tech I - ($2)
Recruit Bloodrage Ogre - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 3, reshuffle, draw 5

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Bloodrage Ogre (3/2+a)
  • :target: [I]Lookout[/I]: Mad Man (1/1) (Haste, Resist 1)
  • Garus Rook Lv. 1 (2/4)

• Deck: 3
  • Workers: 6
Thoughts

I could have killed Vandy (and probably should have), but I want to see how he does when Iā€™m not snowballing with Rook. Also, that would be committing pretty hard to a hero-centric plan, which may or may not be what I want. Teched Birdā€™s Nest and Calypso Vystari again for the same reasons as last time.

I have no Idea if this is a good plan, but here goesā€¦
P2T2

Tech StartingHand Workers

TECH
Twilight Baron
Soul Stone

STARTING HAND
Jandra, the Negator
Deteriorate
Poisonblade Rogue
Skeletal Archery
Summon Skeletons

WORKERS
Pestering Haunt
Skeletal Archery

NextHand

Thieving Imp
Jandra, the Negator
Graveyard
Soul Stone

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($7)
Worker - ($6)
Deteriorate Ogre
Vandy kills Ogre, takes 2
Level Vandy, she heals - ($4)
Javelineer spends rune, kills mad man
Poisonblade Rogue - ($2)
Tech 1 - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 2, reshuffle, draw 4

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]:
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Poisonblade Rogue (2/1)
  • Vandy lvl 3 (3/4 resist 1)
  • Skeleton Javelineer (no rune, 1/1)
  • :heart: Base HP: 19

• Deck: 4
Thoughts

I originally was going to go Jandra+ Heroesā€™ Hall, but Iā€™m concerned about having too many heroes and not enough units. He doesnā€™t get free levels for killing my units. I therefore need blockers. I almost played Summon Skeletons + Heroesā€™ Hall, but that didnā€™t seem much better. As much as I like the idea of an early heroesā€™ hall with my deck, I donā€™t think it works against his. I decided to go for clearing his board. Iā€™m a bit concerned for Vandyā€™s safety here, but I think she should be fine. Transitioning into Demons, I think. Iā€™ll try to get a heroesā€™ hall soon so I can discord and plow through his defenses with Jandra and/or Twilight Baron

Player 1 Turn 3

TECH

Gunpoint Taxman
Ardraā€™s Boulder

STARTING HAND

Charge
Nautical Dog
Bombaster
Birdā€™s Nest
Pillage

WORKERS

Scorch
Careless Musketeer
Pillage

Next Hand

Bloodburn
Calypso Vystari
Makeshift Rambaster

Discard

Bloodrage Ogre
Mad Man
Charge
Gunpoint Taxman
Ardraā€™s Boulder

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($6)
Worker - ($5)
Recruit Bombaster - ($3)
Rook casts Birdā€™s Nest, summoning Cucco and Pipi - ($1)
Recruit Nautical Dog - ($0)
Rook kills Poisonblade Rogue and takes 2 damage

Float ($0)
Discard 1, draw 3

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Bombaster (2/2+a)
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Pipi (1/1) (Flying)
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Nautical Dog (1/1) (Frenzy 1)
  • :target: [I]Lookout[/I]: Cucco (1/1) (Flying, Resist 1)
  • Birdā€™s Nest
  • Garus Rook Lv. 1 (2/2)

• Hand: 3
Thoughts

Not liking this positionā€¦ Have to kill the Rogue to prevent -1/-1 runes being put on Rook, but now heā€™s pretty vulnerable. If Rook doesnā€™t survive this, Iā€™ll be thinking about going Anarchy and stalling to Tech III.