Casual: Payprplayn vs. Hobusu

I recommend making like a doctor and having some patience.

2 Likes

Good one! Thatā€™s basically what I suggested too. At least thisā€™ll give him some time for reading, since thatā€™s part of getting to the higher trust levels.

Iā€™m back. Itā€™s still your turn, btw (no pressure, just a friendly reminder).

1 Like

Last turn for a while, going to be busy for a couple hours. BTW, thanks for the Technician draw!

Player 2 Turn 5

Tech, Starting Hand and Workers

TECH

Calypso Vystari
Giant Panda

STARTING HAND

Bloodrage Ogre
Charge
Nautical Dog
Might of Leaf and Claw
Blooming Ancient (tech)

WORKERS

Bloodburn
Pillage
Careless Musketeer
Scorch
Bloodrage Ogre

Next Hand

Bombaster
Surprise Attack
Gunpoint Taxman
Makeshift Rambaster

Discard

Birdā€™s Nest
Nautical Dog
Charge
Calypso Vystari
Giant Panda

Draw from technician (after Ancient dies but before Birdā€™s Nest is discarded)
Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($11)
Worker - ($10)
Research Might of Leaf and Claw - ($7)
Back from the grave, itā€™s Blooming Ancient! - ($3)
Summon Argagarg and Wisp, giving Ancient +2 runes - ($1)
Ancient moves 2 runes to Cucco
Cucco safely kills Vandy, giving Arg 2 free levels and MoLaC +1 growth rune
Pipi pecks Tech II for 1 damage and +1 growth rune

Float ($1)
Discard 2, draw 4

[B]Board Info:[/B]
[B]In Patrol:[/B]

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Blooming Ancient (2/4)
  • :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]:
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]:
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]: Wisp (0/1)
  • :target: [I]Lookout[/I]:
    [B]In Play:[/B]
  • Might of Leaf and Claw @2
  • Cucco (3/3) (+2/+2) (Flying)
  • Pipi (1/1) (Flying)
  • Argagarg Garg Lv. 3 (1/4)
    [B]Buildings:[/B]
  • :heart: Base HP: 20
  • :heart: Tech I HP: 5
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Growth)

[B]Economy Info:[/B]
[B]Cards:[/B]

• Hand: 4
  • Deck: 2
  • Disc: 5
    [B]Gold:[/B]
  • Gold: 1
  • Workers: 10

[details=Thoughts][spoiler]Hereā€™s the decklist as of this turn:

• Nautical Dog
  • Mad Man
  • Bombaster
  • Makeshift Rambaster
  • Charge
  • Gunpoint Taxman
  • Birdā€™s Nest
  • Might of Leaf and Claw
  • Blooming Ancient
  • Surprise Attack
  • Surprise Attack #2
  • Calypso Vystari
  • Giant Panda

Good thing I got Blooming Ancient from the Technician draw! Iā€™d be much less hopeful of victory without being able to kill at least one heroā€¦ Next turn should be maxing MoLaC and proceeding to outvalue everything he could possibly play for the rest of the game (as long as I live long enough for everything being buff to matter).

Teched Vystari as a cheap unit that can also help mitigate the effectiveness of chump blocking, and Giant Panda as two units for the price of one.[/spoiler][/details]

That answers a question Iā€™ve always had about technicitan, namely whether it can draw itself when it dies. I guess it can.

P1T6

Tech StartingHand Workers

TECH
Soul Stone
Soul Stone

STARTING HAND
Discord
Terras Q, The Shackled
Thieving Imp
Two Step
Deteriorate

WORKERS
Skeleton Javelineer
Skeletal Archery
Poisonblade Rogue
Summon Skeletons

NextHand

Gargoyle
Soul Stone
Terras Q, The Shackled
Birdā€™s Nest
Sacrifice the Weak

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($8)
(No Worker)
Play Terras Q, The Shackled (You get 4 warlocks. I think ancient gets 4 counters) - ($2)
Play Discord (Warlocks and Whisp die) - ($0)
Play Pestering Haunt from Graveyard

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 4, reshuffle, draw 1

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Ardraā€™s Boulder (2/8+A)
  • :pschip: [I]Technician[/I]:
  • :target: [I]Lookout[/I]: Terras Q, The (un-)Shackled (17/17) resist 4
  • Graveyard (4 hp) [Jandra the Negator]
  • River Montoya Lv 3 (2/4)
  • Mythmaking
  • Pestering Haunt
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 4 (Demonology)
  • :heart: Heroesā€™ Hall HP: 4

• Hand: 5
  • Deck: 5
  • Disc: 0
  • Gold: 0
  • Workers: 8

Pipi died from Discord too (I had mislabeled it as having a +1/+1 rune from an earlier version of last turn).

Player 2 Turn 6

TECH

Pirate Gunship
Pirate Gunship

STARTING HAND

Surprise Attack
Gunpoint Taxman
Bombaster
Makeshift Rambaster
Mad Man

WORKERS

Bloodburn
Pillage
Careless Musketeer
Scorch
Bloodrage Ogre

Next Hand

Calypso Vystari
Surprise Attack
Birdā€™s Nest
Giant Panda

Tech 2 card(s)
Draw from Technician
Get Paid + float - ($11)
Summon Zane the Insane! - ($9)
Zane casts Surprise Attack, calling a pair of Sharks out of nowhere! You are surprised, of course. Ancient gets +2 runes - ($4)
Recruit Mad Man, Ancient gets +1 rune - ($3)
Blooming Ancient hits your Boulder to remove its armor and deal 4 damage, taking 2 damage itself and giving MoLaC +1 growth rune
Ancient transfers one +1/+1 rune to one of the Sharks and two to Cucco
The boosted Shark crushes your Boulder in its jaws and dies, giving MoLaC +1 growth rune
Cucco pecks Terras Q for 5 damage, then blinks in surprise as Might of Leaf and Claw causes it to grow to more than double its previous size. Zane starts laughing maniacally as all my units and heroes get +5/+5.
Mad Man and the remaining Shark team up to kill Terras Q, but die from their wounds
Recruit a Rambaster that can no longer be described as Makeshift, Ancient gets +1 rune - ($1)
Ancient transfers its +1/+1 rune to Rambaster
Argagarg, Zane and Rambaster deal 6+7+7+2=22 damage to your Base
Build an Anarchy Tech Lab for laughs - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 2, draw 1, reshuffle, draw 3

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]:
  • Might of Leaf and Claw (+5/+5 to units and heroes)
  • Cucco (9/9) (+3/+3) (Flying)
  • Argagarg Garg Lv. 3 (6/9)
  • Captain Zane Lv. 1 (7/7) (Haste)
  • Blooming Ancient (7/7)
  • Makeshift Rambaster (7/8) (+1/+1) (Haste, +2 ATK when attacking buildings)
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Growth)
  • :heart: Tech Lab HP: 4 (Anarchy)

• Deck: 7
  • Workers: 10

Good game! You surprised me multiple times this game, most notably with the Turn 4 Mythmaking + Boulder when you already had Jandra. Iā€™d be interested in what you were thinking as you played. Feel free to check my Thoughts sections as well if you like! I actually did a little experiment with them this time, so let me know what you think.

It might not matter, but Blooming Ancient canā€™t give runes to heroes, only units.

Ahā€¦ Youā€™re right. It shouldnā€™t matter too much, just give the runes to units instead and it should work out. Iā€™m 99% sure I still have lethal, but once Iā€™ve had dinner Iā€™ll edit the turn with that in mind.

Edit: Unless Iā€™ve made another mistake, the turn has been fixed. Lost 2 damage to Base, but itā€™s not like thatā€™s important. @payprplayn and @BarnabyTJones, does this work?

Wow I expected a bunch of hasty stuff, and thought I was likely in trouble, but I thought 17 hp would at least get Terras Q through the turn, and I could Soulstone him next turn and kill three things with him, possibly giving myself a chance. I didnā€™t expect you to have Surprise Attack, Makeshift Rambaster, and Madman all in the same hand. GG WP. Anything you saw that you thought I should have done differently?

As for what I was thinking, let me see if I can remember. First of all, the philosophy of the codex was to give me access to several good one-two-punch type combinations that I knew to be good. They are:

Jandra+Mythmaking (Mytmaking also buffs Terras Q and Zarramonde, but the Jandra buff is most important because a 5/5 with overpower is an amazing thing to have attacking on turn 3 [didnā€™t get it until Turn 4 this game, but cā€™est la vie])

Birdā€™s Nest + Two Step (because two 3/3 flyers is similarly ridiculous to hit with turn 4)

Vandy+Rook+Metamorphosis

and, as a late-game win-condition-type play,

Terras Q + Discord (Which I got, but probably a turn too late. Looking at your thoughts, I wonder if this isnā€™t a red herring. All of the first 3 options are available at tech 1, so I wonder If I should even be aiming for tech 2. If I donā€™t I can add Twilight Barons to the mix, which seems like it could get out of control quickly. Maybe this codex is at itā€™s best going hard for the tech 1 win, with Terras Q being used only against the turtly-est builds. What do you think?)

So I got Jandra in my hand turn 1, and decided to play her. I hadnā€™t decided for sure that I was going to go for Mythmaking (and I had hoped to get her and Thieving Imp on different hands so I could play them on turns 1 and 2), but a 3/3 overpower is still good to have turn 1

On turn 2, I played the haunt pretty much because it was free. Without Imp, I didnā€™t have a demon that would be safe from Jandra, so I played Rook (mostly because heā€™s the toughest blocker, but also with ideas of a future birdā€™s nest). I decided to go the Mythmaking route, and I paired it with Ardraā€™s Boulder since that also benefits from Mythmaking.

my turn 3 draw was disastrous. I really wanted to get the Boulder or (preferably) Mythmaking in that hand. I think the game could have gone much differently if I had been able to swing with 5/5 Jandra on turn 3, especially with the haunt for that one extra damage. If Iā€™d have had deteriorate as well, I could have wiped your board and only lost the haunt. In retrospect, Jandra+Mythmaking is such a powerful combo that I might have been better teching double Mythmaking just to improve my chances of getting it turn 3. Something to try in the future. Since I didnā€™t, though, I thought graveyard was a reasonable play to get added value out of my Haunt, and to prepare for Jandraā€™s eventual demise. I teched Discord/Gargoyle because I felt a birdā€™s nest coming, and built the HH to make room for River.

Turn 4 is pretty self explanatory, I think. I teched Birdā€™s Nest/Two step pretty much because itā€™s a good combo, and no other reason. I think I should have done something else here, but Iā€™m not sure what (Double twilight baron?).

I think from there It should be pretty clear from the tech decisions I made what I was thinking, but feel free to ask me any particular questions, and Iā€™ll answer to the best of my ability.

Iā€™m not seeing anything huge that you did wrong. Iā€™m curious why you went with Rook as your lead hero, though; I think an early Vandy would have scared me a lot more due to how good all of her spells are. Birdā€™s Nest is good, but it wasnā€™t a major part of your plan (which is getting Terras Q into play), so having access to Dark Pact to draw more of what you need and Soul Stone to make those early Mythmaking boosted units never die would be terrifying. Also, I understand why you teched two each of Terras Q and Soul Stone, but if you had Dark Pact in your deck that would probably be unnecessary.

One wall of text later, and it seems like as Player 1 with your codex Vandy is a good hero to start with. Again, feel free to read the thoughts I wrote for each turn if you havenā€™t already. Are you up for another round?

Absolutely. Would you like to go first/switch codices/other things?

Iā€™m fine with that, but itā€™ll have to be later. I should really be sleeping right nowā€¦ :wink:

Iā€™ll stick with the codex I have for now.

btw, I went with rook because heā€™s the only one you couldnā€™t kill by teaming up with bombaster and your own rook. Didnā€™t want to give you free lvls.

1 Like

Fair enough. The pressure was pretty significant there!

Round 2 ā€“ FIGHT!

Player 1 Turn 1

Starting Hand and Workers

STARTING HAND

Charge
Mad Man
Bloodrage Ogre
Nautical Dog
Scorch

WORKERS

Scorch

Next Hand

Makeshift Rambaster
Bombaster
Pillage
Bloodburn
Careless Musketeer

Discard

Bloodrage Ogre
Mad Man
Charge

Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid - ($4)
Worker - ($3)
Recruit the Nautical Dog! - ($2)
Summon Rook - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 5

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Garus Rook Lv. 1 (2/4)
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Nautical Dog (1/1) (Frenzy 1)

• Deck: 0
  • Disc: 3
  • Workers: 5
Thoughts

I had a hard time deciding which Hero to pick here, but went with Rook again. Maybe should have chosen Arg, but he doesnā€™t apply as much immediate pressure.

Also same codex

P2T1

StartingHand Workers

STARTING HAND
Summon Skeletons
Thieving Imp
Deteriorate
Poisonblade Rogue
Sacrifice the Weak

WORKERS
Summon Skeletons

NextHand

Jandra, the Negator
Skeleton Javelineer
Graveyard
Pestering Haunt
Skeletal Archery

Discard

Deteriorate
Sacrifice the Weak
Thieving Imp
Poisonblade Rogue

Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid - ($5)
Worker - ($4)
Midband Vandy - ($0)
Deteriorate the Dog

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 5

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Vandy lvl 3 (3/4+A resist 1)

• Deck: 0
  • Disc: 4
  • Workers: 6
Thoughts

So, heā€™s got a naughty dog and Rook, which means anything I summon this turn (other than Rook or midband Vandy/River), he can kill with whatā€™s on the board, and all it takes to kill rook is a Madman. I donā€™t have Jandra, and Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d want to play her if I did. I think maybe my best play is Thieveing Imp in SQL. It hits his hand, and will trade just fine with his current board. My one problem with that is that I donā€™t want to float gold against the red starter. Another option is to play midband Vandy in SQL and deteriorate the Dog. I think thatā€™s what Iā€™ll do, though Iā€™m not at all sure itā€™s best.

@Hobusu giving me tough decisions already. I had two options I couldnā€™t decide between, and I realized after posting this one that my reason for choosing it over the other one is not as big a deal as I had thought. I donā€™t think Iā€™ll switch it, but itā€™s one of those things where I wish I could clone this situation and try both to see which is better. I suspect the other one is, the more I think about it, but I figure if this turns out to be a bad decision, the game will be over rather quickly and Iā€™ll know to go the other route in the future.

You think you had a hard decision? Seeing a midband Vandy so soon is terrifying, and I didnā€™t have anything that felt like adequate defenseā€¦

Player 1 Turn 2

TECH

Gunpoint Taxman
Birdā€™s Nest

STARTING HAND

Careless Musketeer
Makeshift Rambaster
Bloodburn
Bombaster
Pillage

WORKERS

Scorch
Bloodburn

Next Hand

Birdā€™s Nest
Mad Man
Charge
Pillage
Careless Musketeer

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + Scavenger - ($6)
Worker - ($5)
Build Tech I - ($3)
Recruit Bombaster - ($1)

Float ($1)
Discard 3, reshuffle, draw 5

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]: Bombaster (2/2+a)
  • :ps_: [I]Scavenger[/I]: Garus Rook Lv. 1 (2/4)

• Deck: 4
  • Gold: 1
  • Workers: 6

[details=Thoughts][spoiler]Current decklist:

• Nautical Dog
  • Mad Man
  • Makeshift Rambaster
  • Careless Musketeer
  • Bloodrage Ogre
  • Bombaster
  • Pillage
  • Charge
  • Gunpoint Taxman
  • Birdā€™s Nest

Wow. I feel like Iā€™m already on the defensive, and itā€™s only the second turn, and Iā€™m Player 1!

Went with Taxman and Birdā€™s Nest again for similar reasons to last time. Considered Ardraā€™s Boulder over Taxman, but Iā€™d rather have something that can hit backā€¦ Iā€™ll need to see a bit more of what heā€™s doing before deciding on a Tech path.[/spoiler][/details]

P2T2

Tech StartingHand Workers

TECH
Birdā€™s Nest
Dark Pact

STARTING HAND
Jandra, the Negator
Graveyard
Pestering Haunt
Skeleton Javelineer
Skeletal Archery

WORKERS
Summon Skeletons
Skeletal Archery

NextHand

Birdā€™s Nest
Jandra, the Negator
Sacrifice the Weak
Deteriorate

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($6)
Worker - ($5)
Tap Vandy, Tutor Shadow Blade - ($4)
Shadow Blade Bombaster - ($1)
Skeleton Javelineer- ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 2, reshuffle, draw 4

• :psblueshield: [I]Squad Leader[/I]:
  • :psfist: [I]Elite[/I]: Skeleton Javelineer (2/1)

• Vandy lvl 3 (3/4)

• Deck: 6

• Workers: 7
Thoughts

I have lots of options here. I think Iā€™ll use dark pact for a draw to see what I can get, then decide from thereā€¦ or wait. What if I spend 4 to shadow blade the bombaster, then max Vandy. Can he kill her? Heroesā€™ Hall + Zane+ Chaos mirror would do the trick, but I think itā€™s unlikely he teched CM after playing rook. He coul also just HH + midband Zane and kill her, but heā€™d lose both of his heroes doing that, and weā€™d essentially switch roles (heā€™d be up a worker, Iā€™d be playing into an empty field. I think Iā€™m okay with that. Plan is to play Rook next turn no matter what (build HH if Vandy survives)ā€¦ hmmmā€¦ On second thought (or third, I suppose) thereā€™s no way I can play both Rook and Metamorphosis next turn, so maybe instead of mibanding Vandy, I just play a worker. The downside of that is that sheā€™s easier to kill that way. I would need a blocker. Skeleton Javelineer would do the trick. Maybe thatā€™s the way to go. Either way, Iā€™m missing tech 1, so Iā€™ll be teching spells. Iā€™ll tech in Birdsā€™ nest and Dark pact with a plan to play HH+Rook next turn and possibly tech up behind that. Seems okay.

@Hobusu whoops, messed that up. I was supposed to discard for the shadow blade, and then I never put it in my discard when I played it. Iā€™m going to go back and fix it manually, then redraw my hand (if thatā€™s alright with you. I havenā€™t actually looked at what I drew yet. alternatively, I can Discard at random and put shadow blade in the discard, but thatā€™s less consistent with what the actual situation should be. Iā€™m going with option 1 for now and Iā€™ll switch to option 2 upon your request.)

@Hobusu I donā€™t know how to revert it, but I re-entered all the relevant values manually and it looks right now. Let me know if you see anything amiss (youā€™ll have to trust me that the hidden stuff is correct, but you can at least verify that the number of cards in each zone is what it should be)

@Hobusu the one error that I introduced was neglecting to enter the cost of javelineer, thus registering as floating 1 gold. I have fixed that now in both the post and my spreadsheet.

1 Like

Do you know how to revert the spreadsheet to before you clicked Discard/Draw? That would be the easiest way to handle it, I think. Roll it back to before you ended your turn, discard everything that needs discarded, then draw a new hand. Let me know if you need more info on how to do that.

Edit: @payprplayn, for future reference (since I think doing it this way is required in forum tournaments), to access the Revision History you click the bit of text above the spreadsheet that talks about saving (it could say ā€œAll changes saved to Driveā€ or how long ago the last change happened). That gives a list of major edits, and you can expand that to show all edits within a certain window of time. Any cells highlighted in green were changed in the edit youā€™ve selected, and a button at the top of the screen lets you revert back to how it was then.

1 Like