[Casual] FrozenStorm vs zango

So I finish my turn, then read your spoiler and answer a question in it?

Game 3 Player 1 Turn 2

P1 Purple vs P2 Nightmare

Starting Hand

Tinkerer
Fading Argonaut
Plasmodium
Forgotten Fighter
Neo Plexus

Events of Turn:

Upkeep:

• Get Gold (5)
  • Tech 2 cards in (except turn 1)
All Teched Cards

Gilded Glaxx, Now!

Main:

• Geiger (3)
  • Worker (2)
  • Tech1 (1)
Workers

Forgotten Fighter, Time Spiral

• :pspurpleshield: Patrol as below
  • Discard 3 rs Draw 5

Board Info:

Buildings:

• :heart: Base HP: 20
  • Tech1 HP: 5

In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader: Hardened Mox (1/1a)
  • :psfist: Elite:
  • :pspig: Scavenger:
  • :exhaust: Technician: Geiger (2/3 lvl 1)
  • :target: Lookout:

In Play:

• nothin

Economy Info:

Cards:

• Hand: 5
  • Deck: 4
  • Disc: 0

Gold:

• Gold: 1
  • Workers: 6

End of Turn Hand

Tinkerer
Nullcraft
Temporal Research
Gilded Glaxx
Fading Argonaut

End of Turn Discard
My Thoughts

Not sure what to go with yet, Glaxx is a decent bet against black tho, and haste is usually helpful. Stewardess is the other strong consideration but we’ll see.

If you went Rogue + Haunt, I likely would have played Fading Argonaut from hand in SQL instead. You hit my Fargo with that Imp, so hero instead :slight_smile:

Thanks for answering that question. It was about me having StW in my second hand. You playing Fargo under normal circumstances was a given for me. I was thinking about the line Garth+skeleton+StW in order to trade rouge with mox (which would have been an even trade), but was afraid of you killing rouge with nullcraft+mox.

Next question: please answer in your thoughts section (but only if you don’t mind going these extra miles for me):
Why Max instead of another hero? (I’m trying to extrapolate the choice to other situations) Is it mainly due to sparkshot? Is it the fast level up and therefore the cheap healing? Or is it the normal spells which I expect to be more of relevance with tech 2 and I am wondering whether you think that he survives that long? Or is it the possible early threat of casting the ulti that brings you to choose him over the other two heros?

P2T2

Tech StartingHand Workers

TECH
Nimble Fencer
Dark Pact

STARTING HAND
Sacrifice the Weak
Jandra, the Negator
Skeletal Archery
Summon Skeletons
Graveyard

WORKERS
Poisonblade Rogue
Skeletal Archery

NextHand

Pestering Haunt
Skeleton Javelineer
Summon Skeletons
Sacrifice the Weak

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($6)
Worker - ($5)
Jandra, the Negator - (2$)
Graveyard - (0$)

Float ($5)
Discard 2, reshuffle, draw 4

Board Info:
In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader: Jandra, the Negator
  • :psfist: Elite: Thieving Imp
  • :ps_: Scavenger:
  • :pschip: Technician:

In Play:

• Graveyard (3)

Buildings:

• :heart: Tech I HP: 5

Economy Info:
Cards:

• Hand: 4
  • Deck: 3

Gold:

• Gold: 0
  • Workers: 7
Thoughts

So it is Max instead of Fargo. Doesn’t change much. A Stewardess or an argonaut is likely next turn, but again that doesn’t change much with respect to Jandra+gy.

I’d love to have a shadow blade, but this tech is going to have to wait.

Concerning my patrol zone: I think I have to either SL Jandra and put imp in technician. This opens imp for an easy kill with stewardess bouncing Jandra.
Instead putting imp in elite and Jandra in SL requires him to go stewardess+nullcraft in order to have a cheap kill. Midband Max into Jandra+nullcraft then also kills imp.
Third option is Jandra in lookout and imp not patrolling. Then he can use midband Max+mox to kill Jandra.

I’ll go for the second option as it seems expensive/unlikely for him to profit easily.

I happened not to have Nullcraft OR Battle Suits, but odds were good I had one of the two, and either would have traded very well with PBR + Haunt. I think Imp is a good choice (as is Vandy + Haunt), PBR is a pretty risky play just to counter the Mox

As to why Geiger? All the reasons you said pretty much. He’s my only combat-effective hero (sparkshot + easy heal), you don’t have a hero out yet, saves me a card, not too worried about him giving away levels to just Imp. Less so his spells + abilities or normal spells. Vir can’t heal or get extra HP easily, Prynn same AND one less damage.

Purple has to be careful with hero usage, especially against strong early heroes; giving away early levels to Vandy or Garth is big trouble for the already strong early game of Nightmare. Thus why I am going to trade Geiger away here :wink:

Note you don’t actually have 5 float there; you forgot to mark paying the 3 for jandra or 2 for graveyard

Game 3 Player 1 Turn 3

Starting Hand

Tinkerer
Nullcraft
Temporal Research
Gilded Glaxx
Fading Argonaut

Events of Turn:

Upkeep:

• Get Gold (6+1float)
All Teched Cards

Void Star, Stewardess of the Undone
Gilded Glaxx, Now!

Main:

• Geiger hits Jandra for 1 after armor, dies, sparkshots Imp
  • Gilded Glaxx (4)
  • Nullcraft, hits Jandra to 1 (2)
  • Mox kills Jandra, goes to graveyard
  • Worker (1)
Workers

Tinkerer, Forgotten Fighter, Time Spiral

• Discard 2 Draw 4

Board Info:

Buildings:

In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader: Gilded Glaxx (3/4a)
  • :exhaust: Technician:

In Play:

• Hardened Mox (1/1)
  • Nullcraft (1/1)

Economy Info:

Cards:

• Deck: 0
  • Disc: 4

Gold:

• Workers: 7

End of Turn Hand

Now!
Battle Suits
Plasmodium
Neo Plexus

End of Turn Discard
My Thoughts

Probably go Future against Graveyard Finesse plan? Seems legit. Might as well take Geiger out, no real use for Now! next turn and killing Jandra is still 3g AND putting some unit pressure on the graveyard.

Thanks for the explanations!
So I let you get away too easy, another beginner mistake: I paid too much for a 2/2 as I let you too easily use a free hero play instead of another card from hand…

Jepp, I forgot to mark the gold cost, obviously I have none floating.
Your deck count seems also off. In the redraw part you write that you draw four but in the economy part it says 5 hand cards and 4 in deck, should be 4 in hand, 4 in discard and 0 in deck if I’m not mistaken.

Indeed it was! Good catch; I copy-pasta previous turns to make my new ones (like I said, don’t use the sheet traditionally) and that was a casualty that turn :wink:

Eh, Imp is a less aggro start for what is a pretty aggro deck, and Vandy + Haunt would have put the screws to me a little harder. Purple starter has some advantages in this matchup though that it doesn’t rely on hero usage so much AND has strong single card defenders early, so both Imp AND Vandy pressure are less effective. Battle Suits makes for costly trading, and Mox pulls good duty as a constant speed bump. Possible for the Vandy play to backfire and turn into free levels for Prynn or Vir, but unlikely, and it’s definitely the bully-er board position over the 2/2 Imp as you said.

Perhaps the better lesson is following up with Jandra + Graveyard instead of Jandra + Vandy or Graveyard + Jav + Vandy was allowing for Geiger to trade away consequence free :wink: I get wanting the Graveyard set up ahead of time for Fencers, but then Imp + Skele in front of Vandy is plenty safe for Vandy to enforce consequences

1 Like

So after learning I should have played more aggressively, I’m doing it now from a less safe position. Show me my limits or that the brave (or is it the reckless?) might get rewarded :wink:

P2T3

TECH
Soul Stone
Nimble Fencer

STARTING HAND
Skeleton Javelineer
Pestering Haunt
Sacrifice the Weak
Summon Skeletons

WORKERS
Poisonblade Rogue
Skeletal Archery
Summon Skeletons

NextHand

Deteriorate
Nimble Fencer
Dark Pact
Soul Stone

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($7)
Worker - ($6)
Skeleton Javelineer - ($5)
Jandra, the Negator (from graveyard) - ($2)
Vandy - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 2, draw 3, reshuffle, draw 1

Board Info:
In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader: Skeleton Javelineer (1/1A)
  • :ps_: Scavenger: Thieving Imp (2/1)
  • :pschip: Technician: Jandra, the Negator (3/3, when dies…)

In Play:

• Graveyard (3hp, exhausted, empty)
  • vandy (2/3, lvl 1)

Buildings:

Economy Info:
Cards:

Gold:

• Workers: 8
Thoughts

So again after early blunders I threw away what advantage I had in the early game, dough! But well, the learning curve seems to be steep, so I’m actually glad for these blunders.

As he has gold floating, battle suits would have been strictly better than nullcraft, so he has it in hand. It is 50:50 that he has forgotten fighter in hand as well and again 50:50 for his second teched card.
If he has it, playing a hero and having three small patrollers let’s my hero/gy die. Playing only Jandra let’s him break my gy if he has FF. Playing another unit makes the fencer/gy combo a non-bo due to flooding the gy, but I think that’s the lesser of a few evils. If the second teched card is a stewardess and it is in his hand, vandy dies.
Either way, I have to expect him to just snipe a unit with nullcraft and maybe another with mox, play another unit and safely build tech 2, especially if this other unit is a stewardess… This sucks… But well, let’s see what he does…

About tech my choices: only teching stuff with which I might be able to break his tech 2 in case I’m very very lucky, hoping for a doomed Jandra or a doomed fencer+soul stone to do the trick. Let’s see whether he is going for the tech 2 rush or whether he is positioning himself in a better way for teching up in turn 5.

The big question along the threat of stewardess is, whether he teched an assimilate (seems too expensive) or an unphase for killing my hero with his Glaxx. If he is able to kill vandy, I think it’s almost already GG. I think Prynn’s spells I can discount.

Playing the haunt is not an option as this would result in him killing Jandra to flood my gy.

Not looking to “make you pay” just yet :wink:

Game 3 Player 1 Turn 4

Starting Hand

Now!
Battle Suits
Plasmodium
Neo Plexus

Events of Turn:

Upkeep:

• Get Gold (7+1float)
All Teched Cards

Void Star, Now!
Gilded Glaxx, Now!

Main:

• Battle Suits (6)
  • Mox kills Jav, to your graveyard
  • Nullcraft kills Imp, you get 1g
  • Worker (5)
  • Tech 2 Future (1)
Workers

Tinkerer, Forgotten Fighter, Time Spiral

• Discard 2 Draw 4

Board Info:

Buildings:

• Tech2 HP: 5 FUTURE

In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader: Gilded Glaxx (4/4a)

In Play:

• Hardened Mox (2/1)
  • Battle Suits
  • Nullcraft (1/1)

Economy Info:

Cards:

• Deck: 4

Gold:

End of Turn Hand

Now!
Neo Plexus
Void Star
Temporal Research

End of Turn Discard
My Thoughts

This is decent position, go for another Now! and Void Star, he’ll have to commit hard for the tech down and I can probably punish with Now and maybe Stewardess/Fargo if I get em

Lucky me!

First edit: gold count off.
Second edit: just realized I had my move posted twice. Fixed.

P2T4

TECH
Two Step
Two Step

STARTING HAND
Nimble Fencer
Dark Pact
Deteriorate
Soul Stone
Nimble Fencer
Pestering Haunt

WORKERS
Poisonblade Rogue
Skeletal Archery
Summon Skeletons

NextHand

Sacrifice the Weak
Dark Pact
Nimble Fencer
Deteriorate

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + scavenger - ($9)
dark pact myself, base to 18
skip Worker
soul stone on Jandra - ($7)
deteriorate your SL
Jandra kills your SL
midband vandy deals 3 to your tech 2 - ($5)
fencer breaks tech 2, your base to 18 - ($3)
heros hall - ($1)
Skeleton Javelineer (1/1, jav rune), from gy - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 2, draw 1, reshuffle, draw 3

Board Info:
In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader:
  • :pschip: Technician: Skeleton Javelineer (1/1, jav rune)

In Play:

• Graveyard (3hp, exhausted, imp)
  • vandy (3/4, lvl 3)
  • Thieving Imp (2/2), in gy
  • Soul Stone attached to Jandra
  • Jandra, the Negator (4/1, when dies…) soul stoned
  • Nimble Fencer (2/3)

Buildings:

• :heart: Base HP: 18
  • :heart: Heroes’ Hall HP: 4

Economy Info:
Cards:

Gold:

Thoughts

Phew, lucky me that vandy gets to live another day. That might be the game changing moment, as I am able to put some pressure on the board and break his tech 2 in multiple ways.

I’ll go the two step route next turn, so a heroes hall it is for me, which has the nice side effect to threaten meta, which results in me skipping a worker. Let’s hope for a good DP draw!

Going for midband vandy instead of a second fencer to neglect the forgotten fighter or stewardess vandy kill and having one additional card in hand also is nice.
I’m not playing the haunt in order to have 80% probability to draw at least one two step, even if jav survives.

After redraw: so much for my probability… At least I forgot about DP, that’s the kind of blunder I like :smiley:

After edit: I’m really afraid of now!
Let’s see whether he teched it, I hope very much that this is not the case.

Edit: my gold count was off, I’m floating nothing.
PS: your tech 2 also costs only 4, but your floating 1 gold was correct

There’s the aggro I expect lol

Game 3 Player 1 Turn 5

Starting Hand

Now!
Neo Plexus
Void Star
Temporal Research

Events of Turn:

Upkeep:

• Get Gold (8+1float)
All Teched Cards

Xenostalker, Origin Story
Void Star, Now!
Gilded Glaxx, Now!

Main:

• Geiger (7)
  • Neo Plexus (5)
  • Mox kills jav, you draw 1
  • Nullcraft takes Jandra’s stone off
  • Now! on Plexus, trades with Jandra, fencer dies too, graveyard topples (4)
  • Tower (1)
  • worker (0)
Workers

Temporal Research, Tinkerer, Forgotten Fighter, Time Spiral

• Discard 1 Draw 3

Board Info:

Buildings:

• Tower HP: 4

In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader: Geiger (2/3a lvl 1)

In Play:

• Hardened Mox (2/1)
  • Battle Suits
  • Nullcraft (1/1)

Economy Info:

Cards:

• Hand: 3
  • Deck: 1
  • Disc: 6

Gold:

• Workers: 9

End of Turn Hand

Stewardess of the Undone
Fading Argonaut
Now!

End of Turn Discard
My Thoughts

Okay, he gets the tech building, I get the graveyard, maybe I go tech 3 next turn, don’t expect Geiger to survive sadly but I suppose we’ll see

Now really is a pain! I was hoping you didn’t tech that one after sacrificing Max so willingly, but with the reshuffle having been aligned so perfectly it made sense, especially for your tech 2 move… :frowning:
Couldn’t you just have drawn all tech 2 nonsense? :wink:

Don’t want to tip my techs too much, but I had good odds to draw it+not tech 2 to attack with, can Show math after the game :wink:

yes please, going through the maths of your tech choices would be absollutely phantastic

After endless back and forth I decided to step away from the agressor role, even though letting your tech2 building live is what my nightmares are about…

P2T5

Tech Starting Hand Workers

TECH
Leaping Lizard
Leaping Lizard

STARTING HAND
Sacrifice the Weak
Nimble Fencer
Deteriorate
Dark Pact
Two Step
Two Step (DP)
Pestering Haunt (DP)

WORKERS
Poisonblade Rogue
Skeletal Archery
Summon Skeletons
Deteriorate

NextHand

Soul Stone
Skeleton Javelineer (1/1, jav rune)
Leaping Lizard
Jandra, the Negator (3/3, when dies…)
Leaping Lizard

Discard

Sacrifice the Weak
Two Step
Two Step (not Deteriorate)

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($8)
DP my base to 16
Worker - ($7)
Pestering Haunt
Nimble Fenccer - ($5)
Tech 2 - Finesse - ($1)

Float ($1)
Discard 3, draw 5

Board Info:
In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader: Nimble Fencer (2/3A)
  • :pschip: Technician: vandy (3/4, lvl 3)

In Play:

• Pestering Haunt (1/1)

Buildings:

• :heart: Base HP: 16
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Finesse)

Economy Info:
Cards:

• Disc: 3

Gold:

Thoughts

Well, that now really was a bummer, I would have loved a two stepped owerpower Jandra and gy-fencer action…

So do I go for another very expensive tech 2 kill (two stepped doomed fencer with a pre maxed vandy killing Geiger, as I know I will draw haunt from DP)? That let’s his nullcraft+mox live and grants free river kill levels. Or I’m opening up vandy for the sacrifice with dooming nullcraft, as fetching meta+playing it costs one more gold than I can afford when I want to play a second hero and vandy already is severely wounded. Also this would require to again skip a worker, which starts to really bother me, as I’m afraid his lategame will kill me for sure.

Another line would be to go for meta. Then I have to let the tech building live. Void star in itself is bad news but letting Max also on the table opens up chances for trycilcoid+Geiger maxband shenegans or simply for the second void star being now!ed. The line then is either river+fencer+two step or Garth+fencer+maxband vandy doom buffer. Both is 6 gold and probably should be paired with a StW to get rid of nullcraft, which is again probably a no go as I can’t continue to skip workers. I could doom-fencer kill max without taking advantage of the free levels and StW + worker. But then next turn the meta threat is weaker as I then will only have one hero to attack with and therefore I will not be able to kill his tower the turn I go meta. Hence his Voidstar can just wipe my heros away.

The funny but costy rooute fencer+shadow blade in order to further shrink his hand size unfortunately is not an option as I then would have to doom-boost his uniits without a patrol zone on my side.

The last line I see is to go for tech 2. Tech two lizards now (probability to draw at least one next turn is 68%, not counting in DP). and go the pray-and-hope defensive route which feels all weird for an Aggro Deck.

The more I think about my lines, the more I have the feeling that the agressive lines might be safe for the next turn, but it is likely that I’m going to run out of juice soon and therefore I’m going the defensive route. At least that might threat a 3-hero-meta, if Vandy gets to live…

The worker choice also really hurtss me. All four cards seem to possibly have a super important role in the future… Again I’m choosing offense, as StW can always be met with a skeleton on my side and most likely will kill a Tech 2 sooner or later and Two step is just so much more agressive than Deteriorate.

As for the Patrol zone: let him get the free kill on my fencer, but then he has to either let his patrol zone be empty except for the expected void star or he has to let max go to one health. I’m expecting the latter, let’s see what it will be.

hmm okay

Game 3 Player 1 Turn 6

Starting Hand

Stewardess of the Undone (swapped)
Fading Argonaut
Now!
Void Star (topdeck, swapped in)

Events of Turn:

Upkeep:

• Get Gold (9)
All Teched Cards

Promise of Payment, Ready or Not
Void Star, Now!
Gilded Glaxx, Now!

Main:

• Vir (7)
  • peak topdeck, swap (6)
  • Mox hits fencer for 2
  • Geiger kills fencer, takes 2
  • Void Star, mox trashed (1)
  • Now! on Void Star, it kills Vandy and overpowers to haunt, you draw 1, Geiger midbands and heals (0)
  • Nullcraft pings your base to 15
Workers

Temporal Research, Plasmodium, Tinkerer, Forgotten Fighter, Time Spiral

• Discard 1 Draw 1 rs Draw 2

Board Info:

Buildings:

In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader:
  • :psfist: Elite: Vir (2+1/3 lvl 1)

In Play:

• Geiger (2/4 lvl 3)
  • Hardened Mox (trashed)
  • Battle Suits
  • Nullcraft (1/1)
  • Void Star (5/4)

Economy Info:

Cards:

• Deck: 8

Gold:

End of Turn Hand

Stewardess of the Undone
Gilded Glaxx
Fading Argonaut

End of Turn Discard
My Thoughts

Feels like this should be GG, we’ll see though I spose Lizards would be a PITA for my Void Star

I really don’t know why I didn’t consider it as an option that you might already have teched both nows, especially after your talk about high probabilities… Dough!
On the up side: no thinking required for this turn :wink:

P2T6

TECH
Grounded Guide
Dark Pact

STARTING HAND
Leaping Lizard
Skeleton Javelineer (1/1, jav rune)
Soul Stone
Jandra, the Negator (3/3, when dies…)
Leaping Lizard
Dark Pact (technician draw)

WORKERS
Poisonblade Rogue
Skeletal Archery
Summon Skeletons
Deteriorate

NextHand

Sacrifice the Weak
Pestering Haunt (1/1)
Graveyard (3hp)
Nimble Fencer (2/3A)
Thieving Imp (2/2)

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($10)
skip Worker
maxband Garth, fetches guide - ($2)
Leaping Lizard - ($1)
Leaping Lizard - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 4, draw 2, reshuffle, draw 3

Board Info:
In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader: Leaping Lizard(4/5A, antiair)
  • :pschip: Technician: Leaping Lizard (4/5, antiair)

In Play:

• Grounded Guide (4/4)
  • Garth (3/4, lvl 7)

Buildings:

• :heart: Base HP: 15
  • :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Finesse)

Economy Info:
Cards:

• Deck: 8

Gold:

Thoughts

Tech choice: I need another explosive turn, otherwise this game is over (if it not already is over without me knowing)
Still really not sure whether the second card should be something else…

Ooof that’s a big swing back

Game 3 Player 1 Turn 7

Starting Hand

Stewardess of the Undone
Gilded Glaxx
Fading Argonaut
Promise of Payment (topdeck, eh not what we need)

Events of Turn:

Upkeep:

• Get Gold (9)
All Teched Cards

Nebula x2
Promise of Payment, Ready or Not
Void Star, Now!
Gilded Glaxx, Now!

Main:

• Peek topdeck
  • Gilded Glaxx (6)
  • Void Star powers up, trades with Techn and overpowers to kill Guide, you draw 1 (2)
  • Worker (1)
Workers

Fading Argonaut, Temporal Research, Plasmodium, Tinkerer, Forgotten Fighter, Time Spiral

• Discard 1 Draw 3

Board Info:

Buildings:

In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader: Gilded Glaxx (4/4a)
  • :psfist: Elite: Vir (2+1/3 lvl 1)
  • :exhaust: Technician: Geiger (2/4 lvl 3)

In Play:

• Hardened Mox (trashed)
  • Battle Suits
  • Nullcraft (1/1)

Economy Info:

Cards:

• Deck: 5

Gold:

• Workers: 10

End of Turn Hand

Void Star
Origin Story
Promise of Payment

End of Turn Discard
My Thoughts

wooof, tough there, was hoping we’d hit more Vandy spells on that reshuffle… Not much to hit back with for myself either. Probably going to tech 3 so I’ll tech nebulas, try to get there before end of cycle. I could trade Vir off and banish the Guide, but I don’t know that really gets me much better off; Void Star can survive a hit but won’t get a ton of work done and sticks around on 1hp, Deteriorate-able. Might as well kill the Guide outright.

Draw 1 technician, that should be 7 in hand, 0 in deck

Should have been reshuffle yea?

I think something was off here. Possible I missed something? Feels like that might have influenced both the Lizards being in that Turn 6 hand

If anything is off, I can fold right here and now as I didn’t pretech a lizard. Both came in the turn I went for tech 2. I’ll check it in depth later.

What came to my attention today when reading other games in the forum is that I did my technician draw at the wrong time. I thought I have to draw at the very moment that my technician dies and not in the next upkeep. I’ll check the general card count and especially this rule misunderstanding on my side.

this is correct. The draw gets stated in the upkeep as a reminder to the opponent that the player hasn’t forgotten to get the extra card.

3 Likes