[CAMS24] Round2: P1 Titania [Finesse]/Feral/Growth vs P2 dwarddd monoblue

Good luck, have fun @dwarddd! Please forgive me if I left out something that usually goes in the creation of one of these match threads; I’m new to how you all do things.

Relevant card changes implemented in this event:

• Flagstone Garrison: Ability changes to “Your units can no longer have haste. Whenever you play a unit, draw a card”
  • Might of Leaf and Claw: :arrow_heading_down: → If there are at least 5 growth runes on this, your heroes and units get +3/+3 until your next upkeep

P1T1

StartingHand Workers

STARTING HAND
Granfalloon Flagbearer
Tenderfoot
Fruit Ninja
Wither
Helpful Turtle

WORKERS
Fruit Ninja

NextHand

Bloom
Timely Messenger
Older Brother
Spark
Brick Thief

Discard

Wither
Granfalloon Flagbearer
Helpful Turtle

Tech card(s)
Get Paid - ($4)
Worker - ($3)
Play Tenderfoot - ($2)
Summon Argagarg → summon a wisp - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 5

Board Info:
In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader:
  • :psfist: Elite:
  • :ps_: Scavenger:
  • :pschip: Technician:
  • :target: Lookout:

In Play:

• Argagarg L1 (1/3)
  • Tenderfoot (1/2)
  • Wisp (0/1)

Buildings:

• :heart: Base HP: 20

Economy Info:
Cards:

• Hand: 5
  • Deck: 0
  • Disc: 3

Gold:

• Gold: 0
  • Workers: 5
Thoughts

I hate hate hate hate flagstone garrison and am dissapointed it’s woefully undernerfed for this tournament. I acknowledge its overall winrate is not commensurate with that outlook, but that’s because it virtually always wins going 1st and virtually always loses going 2nd, regardless of the skill levels of the players involved. Cards that replace tests of skill with a coinflip shouldn’t exist. Granted I did win that coinflip, but with another perfectly good tech 2 spec in his back pocket that doesn’t mean I win the match; it just means he has to actually play Codex against me.

No patrollers because the only thing the blue starter can do to me from an empty board is arrest them. I don’t like starting Argagarg here because I want to exert the heaviest possible pressure and force any flagstone garrison team to actually earn its tech 2, but with him having the blue starting deck sadly Calamandra pays too little respect to the aven. If he were to turn 1 aven me and I bottomed a huntress until turn 4 the game would be over on the spot.

All looks good to me, thanks for @ing me!
Good luck, have fun

RuleChanges
Nerfs
Vandy Remove resist 1 at midband
Midband changes to “①, :arrow_heading_down:, Discard a card → Fetch any non-ultimate Demonology spell from your codex, reveal it, then put it in your hand.”
Maxband loses targeting, changes to giving the weakest unit on each side +2/2 (analogously to StW)
Garth Reduce midband stats to 2/3
Deteriorate Increase cost to 1
Ability changes to “Cannot target illusions. Give a unit -1/-1 until end of turn.”
Lich’s Bargain Base damage increased from 4 to 6 5
Flagstone Garrison Ability changes to “Your units can no longer have haste. Whenever you play a unit, draw a card”
Pirate Gunship Remove obliterate 2
Dark Pact Increase cost to 1
Bird’s Nest Change Upkeep to “Resummon one lost bird (max: 2)”
Battle Suits Change to apply to “Purple Soldiers and Mystics”
Might of Leaf and Claw :arrow_heading_down: → If there are at least 5 growth runes on this, your heroes and units get +3/+3 until your next upkeep
Buffs
Troq Midband at 3, maxband at 7
Modify midband ability to “Attacks: deal 1 damage to one of that opponent’s buildings”
Modify maxband ability to Overpower
The Boot Modify text to “Discard a card, then destroy a tech 0, I or II unit” modify type from “Spell - Debuff” to “Spell”
Intimidate Modify text to “Give a unit or hero -4/-1 until your next turn.”
General’s Hammer Cost reduced to 2

P2T1

StartingHand Workers

STARTING HAND
Bluecoat Musketeer
Traffic Director
Manufactured Truth
Jail
Reputable Newsman

WORKERS
Jail

NextHand

Spectral Aven
Building Inspector
Porkhand Magistrate
Lawful Search
Arrest

Discard

Manufactured Truth
Bluecoat Musketeer
Traffic Director

Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid - ($5)
Worker - ($4)
Reputable Newsman, block 2 cost spells and upgrades - ($2)
Onimaru - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 5

Board Info:
In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader: L1 Onimaru(2/3a)
  • :target: Lookout: Reputable Newsman(0/3) blocking 2 cost

In Play:

Buildings:

Economy Info:
Cards:

• Disc: 3

Gold:

• Workers: 6
Thoughts

would consider a traffic director in SQL but blocking wither and bloom is just very very useful, considering the newsman will almost definitely stick and it means killing Onimaru means any attacker except arg has to trade in

P1T2

Tech StartingHand Workers

TECH
Spirit of the Panda
Spirit of the Panda

STARTING HAND
Bloom
Timely Messenger
Older Brother
Spark
Brick Thief

WORKERS
Fruit Ninja
Bloom

NextHand

Helpful Turtle
Spirit of the Panda
Spark
Older Brother

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($5)
Worker - ($4)
Cast Spark on Onimaru - ($3)
Play Timely Messenger - ($2)
Timely Messenger suicides into Onimaru
Level Argagarg to 3 - ($0)
Argagarg gives +1/+1a to Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot attacks and kills Onimaru, breaking armor and taking 1 damage while leveling Argagarg to 5 → summon a Water Elemental

Float ($0)
Discard 2, reshuffle, draw 4

Board Info:
In Patrol:

• :pschip: Technician: Wisp (0/1)

In Play:

• Argagarg L5 (1/5)
  • Tenderfoot (1/2, 1 damage)
  • Water Elemental (3/3)

Buildings:

Economy Info:
Cards:

• Hand: 4
  • Deck: 5
  • Disc: 0

Gold:

Thoughts

That’s a clever gamble for a defense; I see the logic. Unfortunately for him I’m lucky enough to have timely messenger and spark both in my 2nd hand. And if this team smells blood, I’m just itching to go all in.

Ordinarily I’d worker older brother here on account of it being a generally-lame card, but with 3 healing cards in my deck anything with more than 1 toughness becomes that much more valuable for swinging into what will probably be scribes as chump-blockers. With such an advantageous board state I need to get power or a recurring value engine into play, and spirit of the panda is going to be my premier card as both. I could gamble on only a single spirit of the panda and a tech 1 card and hope I draw them in proper sequencing, but that’s ~25%ish and I don’t think I need to be taking those kinds of longshots from a spot like this, so I’m just going to tech double spirits and leave myself as many tech 0 units in deck to play them on as possible. Conveniently, that helps play around manufactured truth also since it can’t copy attachments.

I only need to patrol around arrest and manufactured truth copying water elemental onto newsman. Getting water elemental arrested could actually be quite punishing, whereas getting wisp arrested almost certainly wins me the game on inefficiency. Getting wisp popped by a copy water elemental as a technician is probably slightly favored for me too when he has to pay 1 to do it, so I feel like this configuration covers everything.

RuleChanges
Nerfs
Midband changes to “①, :arrow_heading_down:, Discard a card → Fetch any non-ultimate Demonology spell from your codex, reveal it, then put it in your hand.”
Maxband loses targeting, changes to giving the weakest unit on each side +2/2 (analogously to StW)
Ability changes to “Cannot target illusions. Give a unit -1/-1 until end of turn.”
Flagstone Garrison Ability changes to “Your units can no longer have haste. Whenever you play a unit, draw a card”
Might of Leaf and Claw :arrow_heading_down: → If there are at least 5 growth runes on this, your heroes and units get +3/+3 until your next upkeep
Buffs
Modify midband ability to “Attacks: deal 1 damage to one of that opponent’s buildings”
The Boot Modify text to “Discard a card, then destroy a tech 0, I or II unit” modify type from “Spell - Debuff” to “Spell”

P2T2

TECH
Spectral Flagbearer
Overeager Cadet

STARTING HAND
Lawful Search
Spectral Aven
Arrest
Building Inspector
Porkhand Magistrate

WORKERS
Jail
Porkhand Magistrate

NextHand

Lawful Search
Overeager Cadet
Traffic Director
Spectral Aven
Spectral Flagbearer

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($6)
Worker - ($5)
tech 1 - ($4)
bigby hayes - ($2)
Building inspector - ($1)

Float ($1)
Discard 3, reshuffle, draw 5

Board Info:
In Patrol:

• :psfist: Elite: L1 Bigby(2+1/3)
  • :pschip: Technician: Building Inspector(1/1)

In Play:

• Reputable Newsman(0/3) blocking 2 cost

Buildings:

• :heart: Tech I HP: 5

Economy Info:
Cards:

• Deck: 3

Gold:

• Gold: 1
  • Workers: 7
Thoughts

stampede, tech break or 10 base damage, either way i think im fine after since they are skipping worker to do it

dinosize, tech break, this would be bad as they could also tech 1 and almost definitely beat me to tech 2 whilst keeping up pressure, if i landed on a manufactured truth id be able to trade newsman into [probably water elemental] even if they buff it with arg to protect, unless they skip tech 1 to play a blocker and go further down on cards, so yeah could maybe eek out enough tempo with that and onimaru to avoid them rushing ahead to tech 2

sotp is gonna be most reliable value for them, give them a 5atk healing elemental, i can get a chance to kill it with an aven and manufactured truth if they dont kill newsman, else i need to chump block till tech 2… i think despite the healing, putting oni in elite is worth for if they dont have sotp or if i get to trade elemental next turn…

scribe would slightly improve chances but in general is not a solid tech against green due to its low atk, tech 2 options are peace or truth, with truth having a narrow window to get macciatus down before any blooming ancient. flagbearer is great for messing with growth spells, but arg’s midband does too well gor popping, i might still try one in scavenger and then an overeager for some value

P1T3

TECH
Stampede
Murkwood Allies

STARTING HAND
Helpful Turtle
Spirit of the Panda
Spark
Older Brother

WORKERS
Fruit Ninja
Bloom

NextHand

Brick Thief
Spirit of the Panda
Timely Messenger
Wither

Discard

Spark
Helpful Turtle
Older Brother
Stampede
Murkwood Allies

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($6)
Cast Spirit of the Panda on Tenderfoot - ($2)
Argagarg gives +1/+1a to Water Elemental
Water Elemental attacks and kills Bigby, breaking armor and taking 2 damage
Cast Spark on Building Inspector, killing it. You draw from the technician bonus - ($1)
Tenderfoot attacks and kills Reputable Newsman - ($2)
Construct a heroes’ hall - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 2, draw 4

Board Info:
In Patrol:

In Play:

• Argagarg L5 (1/5)
  • Tenderfoot (1/2, Spirit of the Panda, 1 damage)
  • Water Elemental (3/3, 2 damage)
  • Wisp (0/1)

Buildings:

• :heart: Heroes’ Hall HP: 4

Economy Info:
Cards:

• Deck: 1
  • Disc: 5

Gold:

Thoughts

There’s a whole suite of “reasonable” options here I guess, but I actually think all the cursorily-reasonable stuff is useless. Tech 1 units just aren’t going to matter in this game when they show up so late and are no better than the panda spirits I intend to deploy. Tech 2 units absolutely do matter, but paying 5 gold (1 + 4) as a down-payment for the privilege is a signal to my opponent that they’re allowed to do the same, and that’s when I’m not even advantaged in that stage of the game. The better signal is that playing an inconsequential unit and 2 free levels a turn is insufficient and he needs to get down in the mud with me. So in the end I like heroes’ hall best so I can actually capture those 2 levels of value and give myself more relevant tech options moving forward.

Again, when I leave the newsman on board the only cards I need to patrol around are arrest and manufactured truth. However, this time manufactured truth could feasibly be played alongside another unit instead of forcibly having to copy the water elemental; with 6 of 8 cards in hand he’s ~54% to have both the aven and manufactured truth (and 75% if he’s willing to throw in a lawful search), so I have to make sure that he can’t pick up a kill on a 5/2 panda elemental by flying over the wisp blocker. The way to make that happen involves buffing it up with Argagarg so it’ll have 3 health after, but then I have nothing with which to hit the building inspector unless I’m willing to lose tenderfoot. I don’t think I am; every body counts for a stampede finish and every healing proc is considerable value. So the conclusion is I need to wipe the entire board by changing what would have been a worker into sparking the building inspector instead. That keeps my hand size the same as it would have been, which is a lot bigger concern than the money anyway; panda will supplement there.

1 Like

Yikes! Im in danger

RuleChanges
Nerfs
Buffs

P2T3

TECH
Judgment Day
Judgment Day

STARTING HAND
Lawful Search
Traffic Director
Overeager Cadet
Spectral Aven
Spectral Flagbearer
Arrest

WORKERS
Jail
Porkhand Magistrate
Spectral Aven

NextHand

Bluecoat Musketeer
Manufactured Truth
Reputable Newsman(0/3) blocking 2 cost
Arrest

Tech 2 card(s)
Technician draw before start of turn
Get Paid + float - ($8)
Worker - ($7)
spectral flagbearer - ($6)
overeager cadet
traffic director - ($5)
Tech 2 Truth - ($1)

Float ($1)
Discard 2, draw 2, reshuffle, draw 2

Board Info:
In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader: Overeager Cadet(2/2a)
  • :ps_: Scavenger: Spectral Flagbearer(2/2) flagbearer
  • :pschip: Technician: Traffic Director(1/1)

In Play:

Buildings:

• :heart: Tech II HP: 5

Economy Info:
Cards:

• Deck: 4

Gold:

• Workers: 8
Thoughts

yeah, so, im expecting another sotp, into stampede

for more bodies… their cheap tech 0 units (gotta account for madman when counting stampede, especially since they aren’t actually on 6g a turn with sotp around)
tech 1 - fencers in particular could come out the same turn as stampede (attacks order dependent for panda gold)
murkwood allies! i guess i at least get a turn to hit the allies before they get buffed

so what, next turn MA (risky first techs or lucky draw) or second sotp or early stampede or tech 1 and units - decent chance i want to judgement day next turn
if i don’t want to judgement day next turn, that’s because their board still looks too small to be worth it, so they won’t have stampeded, and then i’ll definitely want to the turn after, so i think double judgement day (while sad not to make use of tech 2 lol) is needed

@Titania a friendly poke
I dont mind the wait but just making sure you’ve seen my turn!

That’s totally understandable! I saw it a day late because of the American holiday and attending some parties that day :frowning:. I know I’ve been silent for 3 days now, and I hope you’re not too alarmed! What you did threw me off-guard a little, and I keep having really complicated appraisals of what could be going on here and keep talking myself in and out of possible counterplays that may or may not be getting progressively more insane :face_exhaling:.

I pinged the judges privately with a rules question and have 2 possible turns ready to go pending their answer. Hopefully I can make a move for you later today. The silver lining is: I think we both know this game probably doesn’t have *too* many turns left either way?

P1T4

TECH
Stampede
Behind the Ferns

STARTING HAND
Brick Thief
Spirit of the Panda
Timely Messenger
Wither

WORKERS
Fruit Ninja
Bloom
Wither

NextHand

Stampede
Behind the Ferns
Granfalloon Flagbearer

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($6)
Healing triggers
Worker - ($5)
Tenderfoot attacks and kills Overeager Cadet, taking 2 damage - ($6)
Argagarg tries to give Spectral Flagbearer her blessing, but he’s too shy and when a girl waves at him he dies like some anime caricature of a nerd. You gain 1 gold.
Play Timely Messenger - ($5)
Play Brick Thief, hitting your base to 19 - ($3)
Summon Calamandra - ($1)

Float ($1)
Discard 1, draw 1, reshuffle, draw 2

Board Info:
In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader: Calamandra L1 (2/3 + 1 armor)

In Play:

• Argagarg L5 (1/5)
  • Tenderfoot (1/2, Spirit of the Panda, 2 damage)
  • Water Elemental (3/3, 1 damage)
  • Wisp (0/1)
  • Brick Thief (2/1)
  • Timely Messenger (1/1)

Buildings:

• :heart: Heroes’ Hall HP: 4

Economy Info:
Cards:

• Hand: 3
  • Deck: 6

Gold:

• Workers: 7
Thoughts

I’ve been mulling this one over for a long time now, so here’s a lot:

I’ve seen both his initial tech cards because he played them on the board this turn. He’s only gotten 2 more since. One of them has to be a tech 2 card, or else him building the tech 2 building feels like a wild call. I’ve never played against the truth tech 2 before, but my best guess is that one of the tech cards was Macciatus, because otherwise this entire spec looks lacking into my girls Argagarg and River (just as that spectral flagbearer does this turn).

But I also can’t imagine he’s just inserting double tech 2 cards? He has to know (particularly with the written acknowledgement he’s in danger) that won’t stave off a stampede kill. I can think of 2 other cards he might have chosen to tech which actually protect him from what I’m doing. Free speech needs to hit alongside units of real size though, and he’d have no way to make that happen if his 4 techs are cadet, flagbearer, Macciatus, and free speech. That said, it will absolutely wipe the floor with me in ~2 turns or something if I’m not on the brink of winning already. So the only other card that could make it happen is a 1-of judgment day? Which is a real problem. If I clean his board, scavenger bonus puts him at the requisite 10 gold to summon Bigby, max, and cast it. I think I can win from that position as long as I put him to low life beforehand, but if he’s let to do that this very turn it’ll be exactly 1 turn too soon for me; I have to get a (potentially even non-lethal) stampede off first.

The saving grace is that he only redrew 2 cards from a 6-card deck. So he’s 2/3rds not to be holding it (I can write off lawful search since he won’t have the 1 gold to invest drawing into it). If I kill the technician, that chance goes down to 50-50. That by itself wouldn’t be the worst reduction in odds for me, except that he has known access to a 2nd card that can hold this up: reputable newsman. And that one can be lawful searched into if he must, making the technician draw significantly more impactful for it. This game is on a knife’s edge here, with the next 1-2 turns being the critical deciders, so with the huge spike in odds for him to get at least one of those I don’t think I can afford to allow the draw. As a nice bonus, his hand is small(ish) already and he doesn’t have a great way to recoup the card loss, so denying the draw is probably worth 1 less card for the next few turns even if I’m wrong about all of this. There is an inherant cost of 1 base damage to not swinging in here, but that seems acceptable. But if I’m wrong in these predictions, I’m not sure what either of us does matters and I think I win anyway, so I’m going to give my respect to his possible newsman/judgment/free speech counter-lines.

If I have to let him keep the 1/1 then I don’t need to play the spirit of the panda; I can’t attack with a 2nd creature anyway (well I could, but it’s still way more expensive than merely activating Argagarg for a kill). So I just need to max on bodies and patrol to protect the important ones. Aven → hero → manufactured truth commits 5 gold for turn, removes a blocker, and gives Argagarg another over-valued activation, so even though I lose pandafoot it could definitely be a lot worse for me than that; I think that’s acceptable. There’s still the possibility of an arrest though, so I may need multiple patrollers to protect pandafoot. Next turn if he addresses nothing and I draw stampede, I’ll have 28 damage, which should put him pretty easily in range to win no matter what the blockers are. If he addresses 1, I think the worst he can do is copy something onto traffic director and run it into pandafoot (I’m calling it right now; there’s no way he teched the 5/5 that simply dies to an Argagarg activation); he can’t kill Argagarg. That removes 6 of the damage. If I put in 2 patrollers of wisp and timely messenger, the worst that happens is arresting 1 and killing the other, which equates to 7. That’s a pretty big commitment from him to do it, but I still think there’s a better option? Despite Calamandra having 2 teched spells, she is nonetheless immune to arrest and big enough that he’d need to play something with 4 power to copy it onto traffic director and kill her. I did have the soul read he’d lead with Macciatus, who isn’t big enough? He’d need to be playing the spectral roc or tiger, both of which give Argagarg tremendous value. And at least Calamandra dying doesn’t block stampede, the actually-important interaction. Heck, I think it’s a lot more likely she’d be boot camped out of the way to kill a bigger unit behind her, but even that seems crazy as one of his 2 techs last turn, so I think this is my hedge.

Also (after locking in the turn) thank goodness I drew the stampede. I was only 50-50ish to get stampede, and I’m pretty sure I needed that or ferns here to push enough damage for a win. Stampede is obviously the better of the two.

1 Like

No problem with delay - forgot to remember 4th July would mean no codex thinking time which is very fair (i haven’t been much faster here anyway lol…)!
And yeah, this game is terrifying to play :sweat_smile: cannot wait to read some thoughts afterwards to know what you think im doing because I sure don’t know

RuleChanges
Nerfs
Buffs

P2T4

TECH
Spectral Tiger
Free Speech

STARTING HAND
Bluecoat Musketeer
Manufactured Truth
Reputable Newsman(0/3) blocking 2 cost
Arrest

WORKERS
Jail
Porkhand Magistrate
Spectral Aven

NextHand

Judgment Day
Building Inspector(1/1)
Judgment Day
Lawful Search

Discard

Spectral Flagbearer(2/2) flagbearer, +r1
Overeager Cadet(2/2a)
Manufactured Truth
Traffic Director(1/1)
Arrest
Bluecoat Musketeer
Spectral Tiger
Free Speech

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float + scav - ($10)
Quince, mirror arrives - ($8)
Quince Manufactures some Truths about a water elemental directing traffic - ($7)
The water director hits calamandra to 1hp after armour
midband quince - ($5)
Quince reflects your Timely Messenger in his mirror - ($3)
The Timely Responder trades into Cala, Quince maxbands
Reputable newsman arrives, banning all 6 cost spells and upgrades (“The jungle is threatening us in powers of 6, we must hold fast!”) - ($1)

water director dies when he turns back to normal (it is all covered up ofc)

Float ($1)
Discard 2, draw 4

Board Info:
In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader: L5 Quince(1/5a)
  • :ps_: Scavenger: Reputable Newsman(0/3) blocking 6 cost

In Play:

Buildings:

• :heart: Base HP: 19

Economy Info:
Cards:

• Disc: 8

Gold:

Thoughts

calamandra is very super scary - she makes newsman so much less cool as they could Discard 2 for stealth and snipe it or even behind the ferns (which would justify afformentioned rules queries lol for interaction with stampede, not to read into that😅) before casting stampede… a tower would be an actually reasonable precaution which i guess i so have the money for and does also increase trading opportunities

i should be working with stampede as assumption, with 2g before or 3g after panda attacks: units that’s 9+15 dmg, heroes 3 + 1 per hero i summon (or they just spend 2 on midband). a total of 29 + 1 base ping, when i can get 12-14 defence out, meaning i survive? pending the 2/3g expenditure

now for options:

1. kill cala for 7g, newsman for 2, defend with 9hp before stampede can come as no stealthy options… that’s like… all their attack, nice. wait im dumb, it’s all their atk before stampede, they’d then have a 4 and a 3 from messenger and wisp, so i guess lose a tech building? fine with that hehe (but hopefully the tech building would be tempting enough to get the scavenger gold and be able to judgement day, if newsman alive then can probably defend again so won’t need to judgement day!)
  2. newsman, hero, hero, (2a. tower/ 2b. Musketeer). 2b means cala kills newsman, money spent on midband and cards gone, so 30 -1 (non max-level cala) - 14 = 4hp left, wow the difference Cala’s stealth makes is crazy.
    2a. in a surprisingly similar count to just killing cala, there’s 11 dmg before newsman is dead (and they have >=2atk more to do it) if they have no behind the ferns, or if they do they’d have to attack with two units which takes 6dmg off the 30 damage count, 30-6-12 = 12 base damage… so if no BTF it’s the same but cala is alive and maxband, and i have a tower, frontline hero doesn’t even trade with elemental because of arg; I thought cala was around for murkwood allies (which would be great if they cast that next turn and i caught an extra 5g in judgement day, unless i was short on money for JD and then would lose…, so another point for killing cala), but since this 2a is basically the same as 1 if no BTF, the fact it’s worse if there is a BTF means killing Cala is the play. much thanks to them for playing messenger!

Alright fine! You’ve pushed me into it! Instead of fighting you with tech 0 sticks and stones, I’ll fight you with tech 1 sharp stones mounted upon sticks. One day, the more generous among historians may even refer to them as spears!

P1T5

TECH
Nimble Fencer
Polymorph: Squirrel

STARTING HAND
Stampede
Behind the Ferns
Granfalloon Flagbearer

WORKERS
Fruit Ninja
Bloom
Wither
Granfalloon Flagbearer

NextHand

Murkwood Allies
Stampede
Spirit of the Panda
Helpful Turtle

Discard

Behind the Ferns
Stampede
Nimble Fencer

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float - ($8)
Healing triggers
Worker - ($7)
Summon River - ($5)
Water Elemental attacks Quince, taking 1 damage
Argagarg grants +1/+1a to Brick Thief this turn
Boom! My heroes’ hall is destroyed, making way for a newly-constructed surplus. My base takes 2 damage - ($0)
Brick Thief attacks and kills Quince, stealing from your base and gifting to mine. River levels to 3, your base to 18, and mine to 19.
Tenderfoot attacks and kills Reputable Newsman. You gain 1 gold. - ($1)
Construct a tech 1 building - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 2, draw 4

Board Info:
In Patrol:

• :ps_: Scavenger: Timely Messenger (1/1)
  • :pschip: Technician: Wisp (0/1)

In Play:

• Argagarg L5 (1/5)
  • River L3 (2/4)
  • Tenderfoot (1/2, Spirit of the Panda, 1 damage)
  • Water Elemental (3/3, 1 damage)
  • Brick Thief (2/1)

Buildings:

• :heart: Surplus HP: 4

Economy Info:
Cards:

• Deck: 2
  • Disc: 4

Gold:

Thoughts

Welp. I blew it :frowning: I tried to get too clever and somehow missed that a Quince mirror could copy timely messenger for the extra point of damage. Big shame I was unlucky enough for manufactured truth to be in hand on the same turn so that I get punished.

The man just threw 9 gold skipping a worker at stalling stampede for 1 turn (I guess I can play it, but it’s far too pathetic for 6 gold) in a manner that achieves nothing at all unless he’s drawing to a haymaker. That’s another way of saying it was the world’s least efficient trade to clear Calamandra. It’s gotta be judgment day, because if it isn’t I’m somehow still in the clear after all this nonsense. It’s so easy for him to keep making the same delay plays though if I don’t force his hand and kill the newsman here, so I must sadly give over the enabling gold. Now: assuming judgment day lands this next turn… well, this game is about to get silly.

Really wanted this last turn, now it just looks a bit silly - stalling this far has really cost me any economy advantage i briefly had!

RuleChanges
Nerfs
Buffs

P2T5

TECH
Free Speech
Reteller of Truths

STARTING HAND
Building Inspector(1/1)
Judgment Day
Lawful Search
Judgment Day

WORKERS
Jail
Porkhand Magistrate
Spectral Aven

NextHand

Lawful Search
Manufactured Truth
Judgment Day
Spectral Tiger
Bluecoat Musketeer

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid + float + scav - ($10)
Maxband bigby and judgement day, you get gold and card, all the units die - ($0)

Float ($0)

Board Info:
In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader: L5 Bigby(3/4a)

In Play:

Buildings:

• :heart: Base HP: 18

Economy Info:
Cards:

• Deck: 10

Gold:

Thoughts

calamandra is very super scary - she makes newsman so much less cool as they could Discard 2 for stealth and snipe it or even behind the ferns (which would justify afformentioned rules queries lol for interaction with stampede, not to read into that😅) before casting stampede… a tower would be an actually reasonable precaution which i guess i so have the money for and does also increase trading opportunities

i should be working with stampede as assumption, with 2g before or 3g after panda attacks: units that’s 9+15 dmg, heroes 3 + 1 per hero i summon (or they just spend 2 on midband). a total of 29 + 1 base ping, when i can get 12-14 defence out, meaning i survive? pending the 2/3g expenditure

now for options:

1. kill cala for 7g, newsman for 2, defend with 9hp before stampede can come as no stealthy options… that’s like… all their attack, nice. wait im dumb, it’s all their atk before stampede, they’d then have a 4 and a 3 from messenger and wisp, so i guess lose a tech building? fine with that hehe (but hopefully the tech building would be tempting enough to get the scavenger gold and be able to judgement day, if newsman alive then can probably defend again so won’t need to judgement day!)
  2. newsman, hero, hero, (2a. tower/ 2b. Musketeer). 2b means cala kills newsman, money spent on midband and cards gone, so 30 -1 (non max-level cala) - 14 = 4hp left, wow the difference Cala’s stealth makes is crazy.
    2a. in a surprisingly similar count to just killing cala, there’s 11 dmg before newsman is dead (and they have >=2atk more to do it) if they have no behind the ferns, or if they do they’d have to attack with two units which takes 6dmg off the 30 damage count, 30-6-12 = 12 base damage… so if no BTF it’s the same but cala is alive and maxband, and i have a tower, frontline hero doesn’t even trade with elemental because of arg; I thought cala was around for murkwood allies (which would be great if they cast that next turn and i caught an extra 5g in judgement day, unless i was short on money for JD and then would lose…, so another point for killing cala), but since this 2a is basically the same as 1 if no BTF, the fact it’s worse if there is a BTF means killing Cala is the play. much thanks to them for playing messenger!

I do enjoy that all Codex players acknowledge summon-Bigby-max-level-judgment-day is a single game action of $10 expenditure :slight_smile:

3 Likes

P1T6

TECH
Guargum, Eternal Sentinel

STARTING HAND
Murkwood Allies
Stampede
Spirit of the Panda
Helpful Turtle
Spark (technician draw)
Older Brother (surplus draw)

WORKERS
Fruit Ninja
Bloom
Wither
Granfalloon Flagbearer
Older Brother

NextHand

Tenderfoot
Nimble Fencer
Spirit of the Panda
Behind the Ferns

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($8)
Scavenger and technician bonuses - ($9)
Surplus bonus
Worker - ($8)
Construct a growth tech 2 building - ($4)
Level up River to 5 - ($2)
River attacks into Bigby, breaking armor, inflicting 2 damage, and taking 3 damage
Cast Spark on Bigby, dealing 1 damage - ($1)
Argagarg attacks and kills Bigby, taking 3 damage
Play Helpful Turtle - ($0)

Float ($0)

Board Info:
In Patrol:

In Play:

• Argagarg L5 (1/5, 3 damage)
  • River L5 (3/4, 3 damage)
  • Helpful Turtle (1/2)

Buildings:

• :heart: Tech II HP: 5 (Growth)

Economy Info:
Cards:

• Deck: 9

Gold:

• Workers: 9
Thoughts

There it is! No surprises. It’s really powerful for me here that I can kill Bigby on the crackback; whether he used the body to attack or draw it would undoubtedly be a big boon for him, especially when he was willing to skip a worker the turn before last simply to avoid going down on cards. Even more importantly, it means that future access to judgment day is a lot more manageable for me: 10 to wipe all units and get a 3/4 is far from universally-good value unless you have TONS of cash, whereas 4 to wipe all units is the type of play you should be gearing up to spam. I’m surprised Bigby wasn’t patrolled elite so that I’d have to lose River to finish him?

Either way, it’s impossible for me to say what cards I’m up against now with my gross inexperience against Truth tech 2 and numerous opportunities for him to tech more cards, but I feel like my spot can’t be bad. He’s going to need to devote resources to deal with my double-illusion-killer heroes already leveled and in play (macciatus? free speech?) before he can really pop off, so I have some time to make something happen. I don’t know how I’m killing him just yet, but my options are very open if I build the tech 2 building now. Just as I valued making him have to spend lots to re-enable judgment day, he’ll be keenly aware that until he removes Argagarg her stampede threat still looms.

)et’s play this out, your game has been so wacky i want to find out which way i die :wink:

RuleChanges
Nerfs
Buffs

P2T6

TECH
Reteller of Truths
Macciatus, The Whisperer

STARTING HAND
Manufactured Truth
Lawful Search
Bluecoat Musketeer
Judgment Day
Spectral Tiger
Free Speech

WORKERS
Jail
Porkhand Magistrate
Spectral Aven
Bluecoat Musketeer

NextHand

Judgment Day
Building Inspector(1/1)
Reteller of Truths
Overeager Cadet(2/2a)

Discard

Reteller of Truths
Macciatus, The Whisperer
Lawful Search
Free Speech
Spectral Tiger
Manufactured Truth
Judgment Day

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($8)
Worker - ($7)
Oni - ($5)
lawful search, draw 1, peek your hand - ($4)
quince - ($2)
free speech, your heroes lose all abilities and spellcasting - ($0)

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 5

Board Info:
In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader: L1 Onimaru(2/3a)
  • :psfist: Elite: L1 Quince(1+1/3)
  • :pschip: Technician: Mirror(0/1) illusion

In Play:

Buildings:

Economy Info:
Cards:

• Deck: 4
  • Disc: 7

Gold:

• Workers: 9
Thoughts

this is very not good, i had played on a hope somehow they’d have no extra damage to kill Bigby but wish I’d gotten a patroller bonus. tiger is useless without a way of protecting him, should have gone double reteller as i couldn’t rely on combos with such a bloated deck

lawful search draw was free speech! but only if I’d chosen quince to start with and skipped a worker could i get Tiger out and that

their hand however is very scary… i think i need to free speech, and then what lose Oni, they get a midband cala if they dont tech up… yeah probably that just trading and teching would actually risk me coming back when i will at least have a quince around. if no free speech, i start dying to sotp again :cry: oh with turtle too they kill quince, damn, i guess i even lose the mirror ::frowning:

Hahaha, glad I can entertain :blush:. But if you keep playing that lawful search you’ll spoil the ending!

P1T7

TECH
Blooming Ancient
Blooming Ancient

STARTING HAND
Tenderfoot
Nimble Fencer
Spirit of the Panda
Behind the Ferns
Brick Thief (surplus draw)

WORKERS
Fruit Ninja
Bloom
Wither
Granfalloon Flagbearer
Older Brother
Behind the Ferns

NextHand

Spirit of the Panda
Stampede
Spark

Discard

Tenderfoot
Brick Thief
Spirit of the Panda
Blooming Ancient
Blooming Ancient

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($9)
Healing triggers
Surplus bonus
Worker - ($8)
Construct a tech 3 building - ($3)
Play Nimble Fencer - ($1)
Play Tenderfoot - ($0)
Tenderfoot attacks Onimaru, breaking armor and dying
Nimble Fencer attacks Onimaru, inflicting and receiving 2 damage
Argagarg attacks and kills Onimaru, receiving 2 damage
River attacks and trades with Quince

Float ($0)
Discard 3, draw 5

Board Info:
In Patrol:

• :pschip: Technician: Helpful Turtle (1/2)

In Play:

• Argagarg L5 (1/5, 4 damage)
  • Nimble Fencer (2/3, 2 damage)

Buildings:

• :heart: Tech III HP: 5

Economy Info:
Cards:

• Deck: 3
  • Disc: 6

Gold:

• Workers: 10
Thoughts

Heh, his banter echoes my thoughts last turn: I wasn’t sure if he was dying to stampede or Guargum either. There’s the free speech I feared so greatly would be one of his first 2 techs when I was without a tech building and had nothing else to do. But at this point I have plan B available, so it’s no worry. Getting free speeched on this specific turn cleanly chooses among those plans for me. The nice thing about the Guargum line is that I don’t have to play his blue minigames anymore; it circumvents free speech, judgment day, injunction, community service, etc.

My options are so limited under free speech that the only real choice this turn is whether I kill the mirror or not. I will choose not to, because he can’t re-recruit Quince to use it powerfully, manufactured truth to run it into helpful turtle on technician halves my miss chance on Guargum next turn (not to mention costs a card), if I draw Guargum next turn I can’t imagine losing, and I don’t care about an arrest on helpful turtle. Cards are going to be an enormous limiting factor for him (his tech 2 spec is cheap combo-focused cards, and trying to layer free speech on top of it makes it even more true), so whatever chump blockers he’d play will definitely occupy technician next turn. This way only lets him get a single technician draw over 2 turns. It’s not like I’m winning without a Guargum swing anyway, so stray units that hang around on his side make little difference to obliterate 4.

RuleChanges
Nerfs
Buffs

P2T7

TECH
Lawbringer Gryphon
Patriot Gryphon

STARTING HAND
Judgment Day
Overeager Cadet(2/2a)
Reteller of Truths
Building Inspector(1/1)

WORKERS
Jail
Porkhand Magistrate
Spectral Aven
Bluecoat Musketeer
Judgment Day

NextHand

Traffic Director(1/1)
Arrest

Discard

Reteller of Truths
Macciatus, The Whisperer
Lawful Search
Free Speech
Spectral Tiger
Manufactured Truth
Judgment Day
Lawbringer Gryphon
Patriot Gryphon

Tech 2 card(s)
Get Paid - ($9)
Worker - ($8)
spectral flagbearer - ($6)
reteller - ($5)
overeager
building inspector - ($4)
Bigby - ($2)

Float ($2)
Discard 0, draw 2

Board Info:
In Patrol:

• :psblueshield: Squad Leader: Reteller of Truths(3/3a) first two non-token illusions die to my hand
  • :psfist: Elite: Overeager Cadet(2+1/2)
  • :ps_: Scavenger: Building Inspector(1/1)
  • :pschip: Technician: Spectral Flagbearer(2/2) flagbearer
  • :target: Lookout: L1 Bigby(2/3)

In Play:

• Mirror(0/1) illusion

Buildings:

Economy Info:
Cards:

• Hand: 2
  • Deck: 2
  • Disc: 9

Gold:

• Gold: 2

P1T8

StartingHand Workers

STARTING HAND
Spirit of the Panda
Stampede
Spark
Timely Messenger (surplus draw)

WORKERS
Fruit Ninja
Bloom
Wither
Granfalloon Flagbearer
Older Brother
Behind the Ferns

NextHand

Stampede
Murkwood Allies

Tech 0 card(s)
Get Paid - ($10)
Healing triggers
Surplus bonus
Argagarg again waves at Spectral Flagbearer. He dies (to your hand) and you draw.
Play Guargum, Eternal Sentinel - ($0)
Cast Polymorph: Squirrel on Reteller of Truths, but they would rather die (to your hand).
Cast Spirit of the Panda on Helpful Turtle
Helpful Turtle attacks and kills Bigby - ($1)
Play Timely Messenger - ($0)
Cast Stampede
Timely Messenger attacks and kills Building Inspector, stampeding your base to 15. You gain 1 gold.
Nimble Fencer attacks and kills Overeager Cadet, stampeding your base to 12

Float ($0)
Discard 1, draw 2, reshuffle, draw 1

Board Info:
In Patrol:

In Play:

• Argagarg L5 (1/5, 3 damage)
  • Guargum, Eternal Sentinel (12/12)
  • Nimble Fencer (2/3, 1 damage)
  • Helpful Turtle (1/2, Spirit of the Panda, 2 damage)
  • Timely Messenger (1/1)

Buildings:

• :heart: Tech III HP: 5

Economy Info:
Cards:

• Hand: 3
  • Deck: 8

Gold:

Thoughts

As far as I can tell, it’s totally impossible for his team to do anything about Guargum except arrest him. So I just won’t patrol! I don’t think him being able to destroy any of my other stuff matters except for surplus, but even that hurts not too much, and far less than getting Guargum arrested a single turn. I’m just developing too many threats for him to address a meaningful count of them, so I can afford to protect nothing.

My remaining deck is actually uniquely good in terms of threats for next turn (benefits of having a bad hand the turn before this one, I guess), so I can afford to go really low on cards here because I know I’ll have good stuff to do regardless. With 13 gold it seems almost certain this is the turn he limps up to tech 3. Both of these things point towards tossing in the stampede now for face damage, because the truth gryphon is not where you want to be if forced to play defense.

1 Like

Wowee what a hand to finish on

I’ll forfeit there, GG and WP!

That was really fun and having made your crazy play in T3 you then really played it well after that I’m still reeling! I think the one hope i had was getting the 60% draw of judgement day for my T4 but instead yeah did a painful calamandra trade that turn (I would be interested to know whether you think a tower and walling up would have been better? i counted that with cala’s stealth blocked you could still reach and kill newsman and just ended up with a maxband cala alongside as well :man_shrugging: )

@zango they win

Having seen your thoughts on your last game looking forward to going and reading them here

2 Likes

That’s very kind of you! It means a lot to hear nice things about my play from the crowd that plays this game so often :blush:. GG and well played to you as well!

I’m a bit wary of discussing right after games because I don’t want anyone to get annoyed over unsolicited advice, but since you did ask: I agree with your line on turn 4; the trade was the better option there, but not by a lot. An important factor is how long I stayed at tech 0, indicating I must have some spells teched for whichever 2nd hero pops out because there’s just no other playable cards for me to insert. The (most) operative spell in this case is in this sequence: judgment day → I murkwood allies + Calamandra kills Bigby → you play a board → stampede. It’s kind of a ‘damned if you do, damned if you don’t’ situation though given how inefficient the line is to trade with her. I think the time to get the tower in was turn 3 instead of a tech 2 building.

Edit: Also yes, the final hand was wild, and one of the 2 bottomed cards was even the other stampede! I just naturally had a *ton* of growth spells in my deck because of how the game started.