[CAMS21] Round2: P1 FrozenStorm [Anarchy]/Strength/Growth vs P2 CarpeGuitarrem MonoRed

OMGosh no that was not directed at you! It was directed at no one in particular, just moreso that I’ve been a little stressed for time and didn’t wanna debate tourney organizing details.

I’m curious to hear more about this; do you feel like there are other things (besides un/lucky comments) myself, zhav, or other regulars do that makes things unwelcoming that we could improve?

1 Like

I know it wasn’t. I just couldn’t help feeling tagged because I know I was that person before. :wink:

One example is calling a game before the opponent forfeits. Doing so in the thoughts is perfectly fine but one thing that was upsetting to me was games being called by you guys before the opponent realizes the game was over. It maybe clear to experienced players but it is hard to read the board as someone new or even as an experienced player who has less expertise in particular decks/boards.

I think how we greet new players are warm welcoming especially coming from you and a few regulars here.

It’s more about the expectations (although they are mostly true) we set in the forum about the decks and matches that discourage new players from fully exploring Codex.

I was digging old tourney games and saw a player pull the plugger after seeing P1 Black God hand. It may have been a little over-reacting but I mean it is the reality.

I know you guys have been all working hard to make things work for other colors and decks. I’m no different than you guys and I don’t have a good solution unfortunately.

One idea I had for experimental tourney is mono-color tourney with some restrictions. I know there are some players who are not comfortable with multi-color. I think this will help attract more newer players since it’s less intimidating and easier to learn basic interactions between colors.

Other things we can try is no-elimination tourney or pairing weaker decks and skilled players with the help of charnel’s model.

How people react to things like calling a game in the thoughts section will greatly vary. I like the fact that they exist, since they’re a great source of learning, and can cause me to ask the player questions that lead to me learning more, too. I’d miss them if we ever moved to a digital version. Some people will take them as a sign of arrogance, rather than as a source of conversation, and I don’t know how much can be done about that.

As far as getting people interested goes, seeing the meta / troika break, or trying some crazy tournament format, is great and all, but we’d really need to see two things:

1. More mono-colour play (that wasn’t just Black stomping on everyone);
  2. Not having to run up against the presence of an over-3000-post rulings thread quite so often.

As you say, having 1 would help a lot with 2. I agree that we should have some monocolour tournaments, even if we have to ban Black to do it.

2 Likes

I think people should feel free to say anything in the thoughts. I was talking about calling it publicly.

I was going to propose selecting a color after P1/P2 is assigned so that you can choose to select a P2 Purple or P1 White for example. And then limit the number of use of one color to maximum 2, so everyone goes through multiple colors in the tourney. True monos only except if you choose Neutral starter you get to pick any one spec as the 3rd spec.

PS. Dreamfire is prolly thinking… “I was gone for two years and this guy’s been whining for the whole two years?? How did you handle this guy?” Well, I was gone for a year too, so not full two years. :wink:

1 Like

Personally, I’d say to keep the tournament rules simple and approachable, and to not force newcomers to use several factions.

1 Like

Yeah, that would be ideal but then Black becomes an issue. I don’t know if straight out banning is the right approach…

ASG is one of those codexes I’m really going to need to study going forward. I somehow needed to put you on the back foot earlier and prevent tech 2 period, which is a tough ask. Feels like burn could’ve been the better play here, even if I got a spicy swing turn with Lizzo.

Defensively it’s a tough nut to crack.

4 Likes